redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Motor Trend Head 2 Head episode: Aston Martin DB11 V8 vs. Lexus LC 500

Old 12-20-17, 01:24 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

This video shows how great a canvas the LC 500 chassis is and how fantastic it will be with approximately 160 bhp more, lighter weight, better tires and brakes and better aero if the hoped for LC F comes to fruition. I think the work Lexus put in on the LC 500 chassis is the surest sign yet an LC F is in our future.

Ken.
Old 12-20-17, 03:24 PM
jwgorrie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great video!

For me this car could’ve been badged an F car already, but I’m hoping if an LC F comes out it won’t be ridiculously priced unless it’s got a V10.
Old 12-20-17, 07:29 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Isn't it ironic they kept praising LC as the better drivers car, more fun more balanced and better track car. But then "reality" had to set in and they had no choice but to select the best "road" car and because the DB wasn't as good on the track, it won by a hair.

If this were any other car that outperformed the DB, Motor Trend would've sent the win that way.
Old 12-21-17, 08:43 AM
Noble8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally despise Jonny Lieberman with an unhealthy passion. He consistently degrades anything Lexus as if he has a personal vendetta against them. This entire review gave praise to how much better of a track car the LC is, how much better the interior is, how much more affordable and reliable than the Aston it is, yet he still declares the Aston with the crap brakes and unpredictable nature the "winner"??? Because the Aston is a hair smidge better on regular roads and that's the only thing that matters with this review because these are GT cars and not track cars??? ....A hair better road performance is NOT worth double the price.

And then he says the LC styling misses the mark? ...are you kidding me? I know styling is subjective but the LC won the annual "Eyes on Design Award" for best production car at NAIS and is a CONSTANT neck-breaker on public roads. I have not seen one review with Mr. Lieberman where he praised Lexus without gritted teeth. The moment in the beginning where Jonny started describing the design of the Aston using "rules of proportion" and blah-blah I knew he already made up his mind who the winner was going to be.

The fact that the LC in this review almost bested a $200k Aston Martin in a Motor Trend Jonny Lieberman lead review is testament to how good the LC truly is and this wasn't even the LC-F version that is all but confirmed to be released. I cannot stand watching any review with him because his arrogance is just so overwhelming and obvious. The only reason I watched this was because the LC was in it and I sometimes need to be reminded why I don't like certain people LOL!
The following users liked this post:
uchujin (12-21-17)
Old 12-21-17, 06:40 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

True, I was surprised how quickly they dismissed the 2x price difference at the beginning and never mentioned it again. I kind of agree that a GT car should be judged more by road manners/prestige/styling than track performance, but then why all the excitement about "settling this on the track" halfway through the video?
Old 12-22-17, 09:01 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Brand prestige still matters a lot in this segment and many people couldn’t live with the fact that someone else thinks of their car as an „overpriced Toyota“. Personally, I don’t care about what other people think of the things I spend MY money on, so this is not relevant to me. Also, there is nothing shameful about Toyota’s history to feel negative about .

As for Lexus’ status in Europe, recent developments (e.g. F cars, LC, spindle grill, etc.) have shown to fare well with enthusiasts, just google Lexus + JP Performance or Sidney Industries and look at how popular (i.e. click count) their videos are with the youth. Granted, it’s still a niche brand but many car guys are moving away from German manufacturers for various reasons and if Asian companies continue putting out MX-5’s, LC’s, GT-R’s, NSX’s and Stingers, I think this trend could continue.

Though I still believe a decently powered hatchback, think CT-F or NX-F (as silly as it may sound to some) would fit European drivers’ needs better than big luxury boats such as the LS, which is simply too big for daily driving in urban areas.

Last edited by Hoppean; 12-22-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 08:47 PM
SUNLINE
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

The LFA is a really over priced Toyota LOL. F the badge!!
Old 01-14-18, 01:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great video. Can't go wrong with either