normal vs sport vs sport+ ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 05:30 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default normal vs sport vs sport+ ?

Hi,

I know what the instruction manual/book says, but in real life (not marketing-speak) what are these settings supposed to do? I can't discern any difference in ride, shift points, higher revs, etc when using the 3 modes. I've also seen 1 or 2 youtube videos where the drivers admit they don't notice anything either. I ask because on my 911 turbo S these settings are a really big deal.

Am I missing something, aside from the different tach colors? Thanks folks!
Old 11-16-17, 06:33 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

The most significant thing I've noticed is - the shift points are definitely different, at least in drive (not manual) mode. Put the meter display onto the screen that shows what gear you're in, and you'll see... In Normal Mode, you'll see the transmission getting into 9 and 10 fairly quickly on the highway. Driving the same style in Sport or Sport+ you'll see the transmission probably doesn't get to 9 or 10 at all. For me, I've noticed it keeps the RPMs much higher in the Sport modes, by holding onto lower gears.

The shock dampening is less noticeable for me, but from what I understand - it's influenced by driving style as well as the mode you're in. The Lexus rep talks about it a bit at the 7-minute mark in the following video. There's a lot of cool engineering and design stuff you can learn in this video. I call it the "Mr. Bean" video (you'll see why)...

The following users liked this post:
Thorne (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 08:55 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
The most significant thing I've noticed is - the shift points are definitely different, at least in drive (not manual) mode. Put the meter display onto the screen that shows what gear you're in, and you'll see... In Normal Mode, you'll see the transmission getting into 9 and 10 fairly quickly on the highway. Driving the same style in Sport or Sport+ you'll see the transmission probably doesn't get to 9 or 10 at all. For me, I've noticed it keeps the RPMs much higher in the Sport modes, by holding onto lower gears.

The shock dampening is less noticeable for me, but from what I understand - it's influenced by driving style as well as the mode you're in. The Lexus rep talks about it a bit at the 7-minute mark in the following video. There's a lot of cool engineering and design stuff you can learn in this video. I call it the "Mr. Bean" video (you'll see why)...
Very interesting, thx for the vid. I see the "Mr Bean" mannerisms.
I'll definitely try your suggestion re: looking at the shift meter. Thank you.