LC Model (2018-present)

Standard vs Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 02:13 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
Thanks for your feedback - I'm approaching 2K miles on my LC500. What synthetic oil would you recommend to go with this engine then?

I also welcome any other person's opinion on best synthetic to use. I want to make sure to provide the oil to my dealer, come due time for the oil change.
Old 06-07-18, 02:29 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 249 Posts

You can't go wrong with Mobil 1, but all major brand synthetics a high quality. Plus Mobil 1 can be picked up at WalMart for under $25 for a 5 quart bottle.

Mobil 1 comes from the factory in Aston Martin, Bentley, McLaren, AMG, Porsche - to name a few - I'd say pretty good company to keep - smile
The following users liked this post:
doctormdds (04-30-23)
Old 06-08-18, 11:45 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm running Mobil 1 extended service 5W30. Make sure you don't purchase oil for high mileage vehicles. I also purchase my oil at Walmart in 5 quart jugs. and bring it to the dealer.
I'm still going to have my oil changed every 6 months for warranty purposes.
DRGibbons (06-08-18)
Old 06-13-18, 10:13 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I'm running Mobil 1 extended service 5W30. Make sure you don't purchase oil for high mileage vehicles. I also purchase my oil at Walmart in 5 quart jugs. and bring it to the dealer.
I'm still going to have my oil changed every 6 months for warranty purposes.
WHAT Dealer requires you to change your oil every 6 months? That's RIDICULOUS!
Old 06-14-18, 09:30 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
It's in the warranty booklet on the LC 500, Lexus, not the dealer...
Old 06-14-18, 04:13 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
So what's your "high quality" non synthetic oil?
Was going to request that info myself LOL
Old 06-14-18, 04:19 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

After first oil change on mine I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I've used Mobil 1 synthetic on a lot of my drag and road course cars it's a winner for me. The viscosity of the synthetic allows the synthetics to last much longer than conventional oils.
Old 07-17-18, 10:44 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
My 2015 RCF has had the oil changed every 6 months since I never hit 5,000 miles within a 6 month period. Yes it does sound like a waste!.
Dealer stated on oil change receipts that they used synthetic 5w30 oil each time.
Old 07-21-18, 09:33 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It can get confusing and many enthusiasts have their well formed opinions. Lexus converted to 0W-20 synthetic on almost all models which increased the oil change interval from every 5K to a 10K. The exceptions are the high performance V8’s in the RCF, GSF and LC500. These use conventional 5W 30 and a 5K interval. The engineers at Lexus probably noticed better performance and bearing protection during development. There also is an RPM limit until operating temperatures are reached. 91 Octane or higher of course. Just follow the recommendations in the owner’s manual folks.
SuperGT (01-17-19)
Old 01-16-19, 01:22 PM
LeslieC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what about royal purple over mobil 1?

What about using Royal Purple over Mobil one full synthetic? Also what about Lucas oil? Usually I would do a blend of royal purple 4 qts and 1 qrt of Lucas full synthetic on my acura rsx. The engine was sound when I sold it and had 150k miles. I now have the lc500 and curious if I should use the same brand. Also what's the best type of oil filter? I really don't mind spending the money to keep my engine running at its most optimal and when it has more miles will still run like it's brand new. My opinion it's that it does matter how you take care of your engine and I would like to keep my car for 10 years or longer.
Old 01-16-19, 01:41 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 249 Posts

First of all, the LC500 has just a bit over 9 quarts of oil. Not the 5 quarts you are used to. I'm not sure the reasoning behind your 'blending' of Royal Purple with Lucas??

I have not heard good things about Royal Purple. I would shy away from it. My advice - Just go with the Mobil 1 and all is good.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 and change every 5,000 miles regardless of time.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...ed-performance
Old 01-16-19, 05:19 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Hello!
How does the oil look when you replace it at 5k? And the filter?

Thanks, Puertex
Old 01-17-19, 07:38 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
It can get confusing and many enthusiasts have their well formed opinions. Lexus converted to 0W-20 synthetic on almost all models which increased the oil change interval from every 5K to a 10K. The exceptions are the high performance V8’s in the RCF, GSF and LC500. These use conventional 5W 30 and a 5K interval. The engineers at Lexus probably noticed better performance and bearing protection during development. There also is an RPM limit until operating temperatures are reached. 91 Octane or higher of course. Just follow the recommendations in the owner’s manual folks.
To add to the confusion, there is a sticker in the engine bay of my lc500 stating to use 5W30. However, in my last visit to the dealer, I noticed they used 0W20. I asked whether they used synthetic oil, and they said they did and it would not need to be replaced until 10K or a year. Quite honestly, I'm concerned and plan to play it safe and stay on the 6-month schedule even though I'm quite a distance from the dealership. I'm not sure I wouldn't get a different answer if I spoke to a different service person.
Old 01-17-19, 10:39 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by ziggy1
To add to the confusion, there is a sticker in the engine bay of my lc500 stating to use 5W30. However, in my last visit to the dealer, I noticed they used 0W20. I asked whether they used synthetic oil, and they said they did and it would not need to be replaced until 10K or a year. Quite honestly, I'm concerned and plan to play it safe and stay on the 6-month schedule even though I'm quite a distance from the dealership. I'm not sure I wouldn't get a different answer if I spoke to a different service person.
They used the wrong weight oil in your vehicle if they used OW20. That's what I use in my GX 460 and my LS 460, not the LC 500.
Old 01-18-19, 09:19 AM
LeslieC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust and royal purple response

Thank you for the info. I was told by a good friend (mechanic) about Lucas oil. It is very lubricating and extremely thick and clean. All I know is my acura's engine ran very smooth and I never had any issues with it. I was told all the time by passengers in my car that they were impressed about the smoothness and newness of its performance even though it was 10 years old and 150k miles. I will just use mobile 1 though. I know Porsche cancels the warranty if you use anything other than that so I assume there is a reason. I'm surprised about a bad rep of Royal Purple though. Royal Purple seems much more expensive than Mobil 1. Also do you recommend the standard Lexus oil filter? Or Mobil 1? I also hate that my brakes squeal and create brake dust. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to solve that problem? Does Lexus use low quality brakes or is this just because it's high performance? I'm assuming not all high performance brakes do that.

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
First of all, the LC500 has just a bit over 9 quarts of oil. Not the 5 quarts you are used to. I'm not sure the reasoning behind your 'blending' of Royal Purple with Lucas??

I have not heard good things about Royal Purple. I would shy away from it. My advice - Just go with the Mobil 1 and all is good.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 and change every 5,000 miles regardless of time.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...ed-performance

Quick Reply: Standard vs Synthetic Oil