LC Model (2018-present)

Questions for UK Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 11:56 AM
peregrin99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions for UK Owners

I'm considering getting an LC500. It looks stunning, and feels like a last chance to get a n/a V8 before they become extinct.

A few questions for UK owners:
* Does the sat nav have the "google-style" real-time traffic info, where it shows up-to-date info via red/yellow/green markers on most roads? During my test drive, I saw it had the option for "traffic updates via internet", but we could not get it to work. (Maybe internet not activated on the test car?)

* How do you feel the car works on UK roads? I'm a bit nevous that it's a big car - the width especially - for cramped UK roads. I'm coming from a 991.1, so it is a step-up in size.

Apart from the size and fiddly infotainment controller, it seems a great alternative for a special car that can be daily driven. The practicality is slightly better than the 911, and the LC500h that I tried drove beautifully: refined, luxurious, imperious. It had the "right" amount of power for the road.

I'm taking a LC500 out on Friday, and this could be a serious option for me if I'm smitten by the V8 experience. Up to now, I've been struggling to find something special yet daily usable to replace my Porsche.

Thanks for your experiences.
Old 08-07-17, 01:01 PM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have currently got an LC500h on order that is due in a few weeks time.

I test drove both the hybrid and the V8 but I actually preferred the hybrid. It felt quicker at speeds of up to 50mph than the V8 which is where I do a lot of my driving.

I can't answer the question about the satnav but I'm sure if you ask your dealer they will know the answer. You've made me curious now.

With regard to the size, yes it is a big car and wide. I have had a BMW 640 for 4 years which is very similar in size. You do get used to it and on the road it is fine. The only time it has been an issue is in tight parking spaces and in narrow entrances such as multi storey car parks. My BMW has got surround view which gives you a 360 degree view around the car and makes parking and getting in and out of tight spaces a lot easier. It also helps not to kerb your wheels when parallel parking. Unfortunately Lexus don't offer this on the LC which is the thing I will miss the most.

What colour and spec are you thinking of?

I have ordered a white LC500h sport with the red interior and Mark Levinson. I haven't ordered the head up display as I have it on my BMW and I never use it as I find it too much of a distraction.

If you want to know anything else then let me know.
Old 08-07-17, 03:04 PM
Magellan55

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by peregrin99
Apart from the size and fiddly infotainment controller, it seems a great alternative for a special car that can be daily driven. The practicality is slightly better than the 911, and the LC500h that I tried drove beautifully: refined, luxurious, imperious. It had the "right" amount of power for the road.

I'm taking a LC500 out on Friday, and this could be a serious option for me if I'm smitten by the V8 experience. Up to now, I've been struggling to find something special yet daily usable to replace my Porsche.
I'm not in the UK either but it sounds like we have similar needs/wants for a car like this. Please let us know what you think of the V-8 compared to the hybrid (and your 911). There just aren't any unsold hybrids around me to try out, but I'll be testing a V-8 on Wed.
Old 08-08-17, 02:01 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I currently own a RC-F and have a LC 500 on order, should arrive the 2nd week in September.

i can't answer your sat nav question either as the demonstrator at my local dealership has not yet been registered or had its PDI, so not much in the car actually works.

As for the size it is slightly bigger than the RC, 3" wider and 2.5" longer.

i have test drove both the hybrid and V8, and enjoyed the experience in both cars but as my annual millage is around 2500 miles a year , fuel consumption is not really a issue for me, and the hybrid just seems a bit odd moving around in silence.
The following users liked this post:
Magellan55 (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 07:55 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Regarding width, here's a list of cars that are just as wide as the LC 500, or even a little wider:
Land Rover Discovery Sport
Jaguar F-Type Coupe
Porsche Macan
Infiniti QX70
Aston Martin Rapide S
Aston Martin DB11
Jaguar F-Pace
Porsche Panamera
Porsche Cayenne
VW Touareg
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Land Rover Velar
Maserati Ghibli
Maserati Quattro Porte
BMW X5

All info taken from the following source
http://www.automobiledimension.com/c...rch-engine.php

Considering that X5's, F-Paces, Land Rovers and Macans aren't exactly rare, I think you should be fine for the most part.
Old 08-08-17, 12:07 PM
peregrin99
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for everyone's input.

@Jules640: Unfortunately the dealer had not yet completed her tech training on the LC500. Supposedly the LC500 has an upgraded infotainment compared to other Lexus. She says other Lexus have this feature, but we did not get to see it in operation on the LC500. Maybe the roads were all traffic free on Sunday! (Unlikely in London - I know).

After 8 years of monochrome cars I'm craving some colour this time. My preference would be Sonic Blue if it is available in time. If not, then the Sonic Red. For the interior, I'll skip the biege as it has too much reflection in the windscreen. So it is a choice of the red (too much with red exterior?), or play it safe with the black. Model-wise I'm thinking of sticking with the base LC500, mainly for the 20" wheels. I think the trend for ever bigger wheels, at the detriment of ride (and handling?) is crazy. Just like the ever increasing HP-wars - I'd much rather have a slower, more characterful, engine than a huge slug of turbo torque and then licence losing speed. For extras, I'm tempted to go for both the Mark Levinson and HUD. After BMW / Porsche it is refreshing having such a short options list!

@Magellen55: I'll post again after the V8 test drive on Friday. My impressions of the hybrid compared to the 991:
- Much reduced road noise. I find the 911 wearing on long motorway / highway journeys.
- Very well judged ride / handling balance. More comfortable, and yet it controls the increased mass well (an extra half a ton versus the Porsche!). However, when pushing hard around a bend the tail felt loose. Was this the 4 wheel steering "helping"? Or the lack of weight over the rear tyres? Or the 275 tyres compared to the Porsche's 295s?
- The Hybrid works well. It hides its CVT well - I would not have guessed it had one if I had not read the specs beforehand. It smoothly transitions between power modes. The petrol engine restarts silently when needed. However, you miss the top-end "zing" when the n/a 911 engine revs past 5k. The LC500 sounds ok at the upper ranges, but it misses the flat 6 character. This is something I'm hoping the V8 will address.
- The LC500 seems to have +10-20% practicality versus the 911. The trunk/boot is a bit bigger, but it is very shallow so may be harder to fit cases into. The rear seats have more legroom than the 911, but much less headroom. Kids would be more comfortable in the LC500, but most adults will complain after 3 minutes I reckon.
- I really like that everything in the LC500 feels like it is metal or leather. There is nothing that you touch that is plastic.
- The 911 felt much more compact on the road - I really felt the extra width of the LC500.
- The steering was similiar: both are electric so have little road feel, but they feel at the "upper end" of electric systems.

All together, the 911 feels more raw to drive (although nothing compared to older cars - I know enthusiasts complain the 991 is too Audi-like!). But the LC500 does not lose out too much in character. In my test drive I passed a McLaren 570s heading in the opposite direction - he rubber-necked the LC500 as we went past!

@Hoppean: I know what you mean. Every time I see an SUV, I tell myself it is similar/larger. However, navigating a UK car-park with small spaces, narrow entrances, and sharp turns would make me nervous without a 360 camera system. Fortunately I rarely need to use them. But even on my daily commute, I'd miss the chance to dive between tight gaps in West London traffic. Maybe I just need to "man up"!
The following users liked this post:
Magellan55 (08-08-17)
Old 08-11-17, 10:24 AM
peregrin99
Driver School Candidate

Quick update... my V8 test drive has been rescheduled to Thursday next week. I'll make another post after this.