LC Model (2018-present)

Why did you pick the LC500h over the LC500?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 03:46 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Why did you pick the LC500h over the LC500?

So this is for anyone that bought or at least are considering the LC500h over the LC500. I'm curious why. MPG difference seems obvious, but for anyone shopping this class of car, I kind of doubt saving a few bucks is a big draw. Plus the break even is like 100,000 miles at current US gas prices, which would take many years for the typical luxury GT user profile.
Old 07-27-17, 05:17 PM
lexuslcl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't like going to the gas station, but wasn't ready to fully commit to an all electric car. Not many great all electric options outside of Teslas that are everywhere.
Old 07-29-17, 10:58 AM
aalaref
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It was the only available LC at the dealer all sold out but no regrets ! love the car
Old 07-29-17, 11:57 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I dont have an LC, just an RCF but would so get the 500h, because its like .2 sec slower and way better mpg
Old 07-30-17, 07:57 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
I dont have an LC, just an RCF but would so get the 500h, because its like .2 sec slower and way better mpg
What you said is true.
However, 1st, the starting price is several grands more. It will take you many year driving to even out the extra dollars you paid.
2nd, one of the best things about LC is the exhaust sound of NA V8. Unfortunately, hybrid doesn't have it.
3rd, you pay more to downgrade to a lower performance car. The logic here is a little bit weird.

I know in some Asian and European countries, people choose hybrid to avoid taxes. 5 liter V8's tax is extremely high. In some countries, the tax costs you almost another LC's price.

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 07-30-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-30-17, 08:47 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1. it was the only LC available. otherwise, wait a loooooong while
2. basically same performance (0.2 sec dont matter to me) + significantly better gas mileage = awesome 600+ mile range (LCh has larger tank than LC too)
3. LC sounds much better (admittedly) but i wanted to not sound like i'm racing people around me
4. Instant Torque
5. Green cred.
Old 07-30-17, 09:44 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Considered h but couldn't do it:
1. no one buy $100K car worries about MPG (plus gas is cheap)
2. lack of exhaust note
3. 120hp less, heavier (0.3s slower)
4. But no performance package was the real deal breaker

Last edited by TimboIS; 07-30-17 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 10:26 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
What you said is true.
However, 1st, the starting price is several grands more. It will take you many year driving to even out the extra dollars you paid.
2nd, one of the best things about LC is the exhaust sound of NA V8. Unfortunately, hybrid doesn't have it.
3rd, you pay more to downgrade to a lower performance car. The logic here is a little bit weird.

I know in some Asian and European countries, people choose hybrid to avoid taxes. 5 liter V8's tax is extremely high. In some countries, the tax costs you almost another LC's price.
I don't think people buying cars at this price are really that conscious about the price of the gas but the MPG potential for a car that looks like the LC. The technology associated making a car with only 354 total hp so quick to 60 yet having the 35ish MPG is pretty good for the people looking for it.

Originally Posted by Mdme
1. it was the only LC available. otherwise, wait a loooooong while
2. basically same performance (0.2 sec dont matter to me) + significantly better gas mileage = awesome 600+ mile range (LCh has larger tank than LC too)
3. LC sounds much better (admittedly) but i wanted to not sound like i'm racing people around me
4. Instant Torque
5. Green cred.
You make some really good points, the v8 sounds wonderful but some people don't want that sound all the time.
Old 07-31-17, 05:23 AM
Magellan55

Originally Posted by G Star
I don't think people buying cars at this price are really that conscious about the price of the gas but the MPG potential for a car that looks like the LC. The technology associated making a car with only 354 total hp so quick to 60 yet having the 35ish MPG is pretty good for the people looking for it.
Wow, I was thinking that too, and wondering if I was the only one. I'm an engineer geek, and love that hybrids recover energy otherwise lost when you slow. Sort of a 21st century power plant, at least until electrics take off. What's even crazier, the LC500h gets slightly better highway than my HS250, with double the HP. And supposedly without the infamous CVT throttle lag (dealer hasn't had one for me to test drive). I just wish it took regular gas; premium is 30% more where I live, which kind of spoils the mpg for me.

You make some really good points, the v8 sounds wonderful but some people don't want that sound all the time.
Yep again. I really love the sound of that V8, but I'm looking for a daily driver and wondering if I would tire of it over time. I've come to appreciate the quiet in my HS, for taking business calls in the car and such. Or just enjoying music. It's one reason I'm also shopping Tesla's; lots of torque and energy efficiency, and stealth quiet. But they don't make a car as sexy and exclusive as the LC. Heck I pass 3 Model S's in the office parking lot every morning, and the Model 3 looks almost exactly alike on the outside.
Old 07-31-17, 07:25 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

Ill have to disagree. LC could be quiet if you drive gently. It is not loud all the time. only when you want it to be. Hybrid isn't that quiet either. In fact, it is one of the loudest V6. I was surprised when I heard the exhaust sound.

What you said only applies to very very few people's taste. MPG isn't what most people are looking for on a LC. Sales numbers for the first two months are clear: each month 400+ LC (including hybrid) were sold. only 3% sale is hybrid. Basically, hybrid is not selling in the US. Among these 3%, some people bought it only because hybrid was the only available one on the lot.

Again, the logic is weird here. You spend more to buy a lower performance car. And yes, no performance package. Most Hybrid LC on the lots don't even have sports package. Someone above mentioned technology. Nowadays hybrid system isn't considered as high tech. This electrical motor under LC's hood isn't offering more tech than a prius' motor. The only new thing here is the new 4 speed transmission with the same old CVT.

Its obvious hybrid is mainly designed for some other countries to avoid V8 taxes. In those countries, this V6 hybrid is way way cheaper than NA V8 after tax. Suddenly, it makes a lot sense.

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 07-31-17 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Magellan55 (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 05:23 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove each model twice. For a fun/weekend car, the v8 is the way to go. For a daily driver, the extra torque down low gives the hybrid a big edge (regardless of difference in price and MPG), IMO.

Last edited by al503; 08-01-17 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by al503:
Magellan55 (07-31-17), natnut (08-01-17)
Old 07-31-17, 07:47 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
Ill have to disagree. LC could be quiet if you drive gently. It is not loud all the time. only when you want it to be. Hybrid isn't that quiet either. In fact, it is one of the loudest V6. I was surprised when I heard the exhaust sound.

What you said only applies to very very few people's taste. MPG isn't what most people are looking for on a LC. Sales numbers for the first two months are clear: each month 400+ LC (including hybrid) were sold. only 3% sale is hybrid. Basically, hybrid is not selling in the US. Among these 3%, some people bought it only because hybrid was the only available one on the lot.

Again, the logic is weird here. You spend more to buy a lower performance car. And yes, no performance package. Most Hybrid LC on the lots don't even have sports package. Someone above mentioned technology. Nowadays hybrid system isn't considered as high tech. This electrical motor under LC's hood isn't offering more tech than a prius' motor. The only new thing here is the new 4 speed transmission with the same old CVT.

Its obvious hybrid is mainly designed for some other countries to avoid V8 taxes. In those countries, this V6 hybrid is way way cheaper than NA V8 after tax. Suddenly, it makes a lot sense.
Yes but if you drive the LC500 "gently" not to make too much sound then it won't be any more fun than any other car if you baby the throttle hoping to avoid the growl (admittedly nice growl) of the V8. Particularly with the somewhat poor low end torque and gearing of the LC500. With the 500h you can drive with some fun and not make as much noise to the people around you. The looks of the car makes enough of a statement already that
someone might get the wrong impression if you sound like you are racing them. the low end torque of the h make it more fun for stop and go city driving and the occasional burst of speed.

Also, it's not about mpg, it's about RANGE. Having to not go to the gas station frequently is a plus for me.

Admittedly the biggest downside to the h is the lack of the performance package particularly the 4 wheel steering. That being said, I've seen on more than one review that the performance package is available for the h and is actually standard for the h in some countries. (Can't verify the accuracy of their claims though). This doesn't matter in the USA, since the performance package isn't available for the h.

Also you can't really not be impressed with what they achieved with a car that is only 0.3 sec slower than the V8, with crazy good mpg, brisk torque, and SULEV II emission grade. It is overall the more futuristic of the two.

Ultimately, I think the h is really more of a GT car particularly with the touring package. While the 500 is more of a car with a sportier side to it.

So it will depend how you use it. I guess.

Last edited by Mdme; 07-31-17 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Typos
The following 2 users liked this post by Mdme:
Magellan55 (07-31-17), natnut (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 02:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

And the fact 500h can travel up to 87mph on EV alone is pretty cool.

I'm definitely 70% leaning towards the hybrid.
Old 08-01-17, 04:47 PM
Magellan55

Originally Posted by TimboIS
4. But no performance package was the real deal breaker
An LC500h just showed up at my dealer, and they claim on their website it has the performance package (MSRP $108K, so the price seems in line). Maybe they've started shipping them now, but you still can't configure it that way on the Lexus website. I plan to test drive it later this week, as it's the only one within 450 miles of me according to cars.com, so I'll confirm. It's black on black, so not my color combo, but I want to compare it to the V8 (which they have plenty of).

The other thing bothering me is no one's done a comprehensive review of the hybrid yet (other than a bunch of youtube reviews in asian languages); I like getting professional opinions and objective test data to help me shop :-)
Old 08-01-17, 05:44 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
An LC500h just showed up at my dealer, and they claim on their website it has the performance package (MSRP $108K, so the price seems in line). Maybe they've started shipping them now, but you still can't configure it that way on the Lexus website. I plan to test drive it later this week, as it's the only one within 450 miles of me according to cars.com, so I'll confirm. It's black on black, so not my color combo, but I want to compare it to the V8 (which they have plenty of).

The other thing bothering me is no one's done a comprehensive review of the hybrid yet (other than a bunch of youtube reviews in asian languages); I like getting professional opinions and objective test data to help me shop :-)
Ya that's possible now. Other counties have them from the start. But I probably wouldn't go for an h, now that I've actually driven the LC. Even the V8 seems way too quiet for me compared to my Huracan race exhaust.

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the LC500h over the LC500?