Need help picking the right package

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 10:11 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Need help picking the right package

Hi everyone!

I'm about to place an order for an LC 500. I have the choice between a touring package which includes the comfort leather seats and the glass roof and a Sports+ package that has the carbon roof (which I'm not a fan of), 4 wheel steering, variable steering ratio system and the Torsen slip differential.
I want to daily drive this car and enjoy it for what it is on longer rides, so I don't plan on going to the track with it. That's why I went with the touring package initially. However, I live in Central Europe where winters can get pretty harsh and wet and I was wondering whether the Torsen could be worth it's weight in gold in such situations? I'm also not very enthusiastic about the alcantara seats that come with the sports package but I'd be willing to accept the material if the comfort is the same as in the 10 way adjustable leather seats.

I plan on owning this car for a long time so comfort is important to me but I'd be willing to make a little compromise for safety.
I appreciate any comment and help.

Last edited by Hoppean; 07-24-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 11:10 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Snow mode and winter tires would be more effective.
Old 07-24-17, 11:18 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Snow mode and winter tires would be more effective.
Absolutely, winter tires are a no brainer. Still, I’m wondering if the LSD and the rear steering give the vehicle more traction, even when counting in winter tires.
Old 07-24-17, 11:19 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Even if with performance package, LC is still not a track car. It is a GT couple. In my opinion, generally, sports seats are more supportive.

However, I had lived in Europe for several years. There is no way this car can survive European winter without being damaged here and there. The car is too low to be driven in the snow/ or on icy roads. It is not all wheel drive either. So, no matter what package you choose, this car better stay in the garage in the winter, especially if you plan to own the car for a long time.

So, you gotta have another vehicle to survive the winter.

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 07-24-17 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 12:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

If that were the case they wouldn't sell the car there. Throw a sand bag in the trunk for extra weight/traction, and you're fine. If you're too worried about winter driving, don't even bother buying it. The LC is not a garage queen, and can be driven year round in any conditions. Worse thing you can do is store a car for extended periods.

Actually, the front lip of the LC is higher than my IS was. I would always scrape parking blocks, etc. LC no issues.

Snow mode brakes individual wheels to proven spin. It's basically a cheap version of Torsen.

Last edited by TimboIS; 07-24-17 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 12:28 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

If that were the case they wouldn't sell the car there. Throw a sand bag in the trunk for extra weight/traction, and you're fine. If you're too worried about winter driving, don't even bother buying it. The LC is not a garage queen, and can be driven year round in any conditions. Worse thing you can do is store a car for extended periods.

Actually, the front lip of the LC is higher than my IS was. I would always scrape parking blocks, etc. LC no issues.

Snow mode brakes individual wheels to proven spin. It's basically a cheap version of Torsen.
How do you drive LC on the road with 10"+ deep snow and ice without damaging the car? HOW? HOW? HOW? Have you tried? 10" is already moderate. So basically, your car sits in the snow and ice everyday. We are talking about Central Europe here ( Czech Republic,Germany, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland etc).

Why does it have anything to do with if the local market sells this car? You could order this car from anywhere as long as you got money. IQ~

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 07-24-17 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 12:36 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
The car is too low to be driven in the snow/ or on icy roads.
When you have a set of winter wheels, it’s better to take them 1-2 inches smaller than your summer wheels. At least that’s what we’ve been doing.

How do you drive LC on the road with 10"+ deep snow and ice without damaging the car? HOW? HOW? HOW? Have you tried? 10" is already moderate. So basically, your car sits in the snow and ice everyday. We are talking about Central Europe here ( Czech Republic,Germany, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland etc).
That’s rather high and usually gets plowed away within due time. It’s the thin layer of slush ice that’s present on the road most of the time which makes for slippery conditions. We do have a garage btw.
Old 07-24-17, 12:42 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoppean
When you have a set of winter wheels, it’s better to take them 1-2 inches smaller than your summer wheels. At least that’s what we’ve been doing.

That’s rather high and usually gets plowed away within due time. It’s the thin layer of slush ice that’s present on the road most of the time which makes for slippery conditions. We do have a garage btw.
I understand. But if you drive the car, then catch a storm. Snow and ice won't be plowed in time. No need to mention the severe weather lately. I wouldn't risk this car under those conditions. All it takes is one storm to ruin the car.

If only considering a thin layer of snow, then touring package is capable enough with winter tires. Sports package or performance package is personal preference.
Old 07-24-17, 01:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I understand. But if you drive the car, then catch a storm. Snow and ice won't be plowed in time. No need to mention the severe weather lately. I wouldn't risk this car under those conditions. All it takes is one storm to ruin the car.

If only considering a thin layer of snow, then touring package is capable enough with winter tires. Sports package or performance package is personal preference.
LOL. So there you go. Pretty sure they have ploughs, not some third world country. Most places that get that much snow are well equipped to handle it. Not to mention are better drivers generally.

Last edited by TimboIS; 07-24-17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 01:22 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I would never drive mine in the snow, I drive my SUV in the snow and ice...
Old 07-24-17, 01:27 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Originally Posted by Craig B
I would never drive mine in the snow, I drive my SUV in the snow and ice...
ditto. I've learned my lesson lol
I remember once in 2009, it took me 3 days to find my SUV in Poland while traveling by. It was buried by snow and ice in several hours.

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 07-24-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 01:30 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

LOL. So there you go. Pretty sure they have ploughs, not some third world country. Most places that get that much snow are well equipped to handle it. Not to mention are better drivers generally.
According to your posts, I guess you have never seen a storm which can easily bury ploughing trucks in 2 - 3 hours. You really should "enjoy" your LC for one winter in Central Europe before assuming. Even if you got a super warm perfect winter there, do expect lots of dents, scratches on your LC.

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 07-24-17 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 02:48 PM
TLC500
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Package

I have the sports package and the ride is very nice and comfortable in the comfort mode, better than I expected. The handling and cornering is outstanding. I have the rear spoiler which I never remember to use so if you can save that money do it.
The following users liked this post:
Hoppean (07-26-17)
Old 08-05-17, 08:07 PM
wadeb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the torsen limited slip. I had a lowered Nissan 240SX in Canadian winters and the LSD made a lot of difference, especially with snow tires. As well I lived in Prague for 5 years and real ***** in winter is not the snow, it's the slick cobblestones.

In that case you will want the LSD again, because you won't have one rear wheel spinning while you slide backwards down a cobblestoned hill. As well in central Europe, at least in the Czech Republic, the roads don't get too snowy and are plowed relatively timely. The locals are driving Skodas (value priced Volkswagens) on mountain roads there. The LC with an LSD and snow tires will be fine. The rear wheel steering I think would be valuable for highway lane changes in slippery conditions. It actually keeps the car aligned forward, instead of the rear tracking out-of-line with the front. That will save you spinning out when doing a lane change.

Are in you in the Czech Republic btw? I'm there twice a year, if you ever want to catch a beer and talk LC stories.
The following users liked this post:
Hoppean (08-06-17)
Old 08-06-17, 05:11 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Originally Posted by wadeb
Get the torsen limited slip. I had a lowered Nissan 240SX in Canadian winters and the LSD made a lot of difference, especially with snow tires. As well I lived in Prague for 5 years and real ***** in winter is not the snow, it's the slick cobblestones.

In that case you will want the LSD again, because you won't have one rear wheel spinning while you slide backwards down a cobblestoned hill. As well in central Europe, at least in the Czech Republic, the roads don't get too snowy and are plowed relatively timely. The locals are driving Skodas (value priced Volkswagens) on mountain roads there. The LC with an LSD and snow tires will be fine. The rear wheel steering I think would be valuable for highway lane changes in slippery conditions. It actually keeps the car aligned forward, instead of the rear tracking out-of-line with the front. That will save you spinning out when doing a lane change.

Are in you in the Czech Republic btw? I'm there twice a year, if you ever want to catch a beer and talk LC stories.
I went with the LSD and the rear wheel steering for the same reasons you just described. New Skodas are decent vehicles btw, would buy one over a standard VW if it came down to it.
Spoiler