Slight Rattle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 06:07 AM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Slight Rattle Sound

Hey LC owners,

I picked up my LC last night and on the way home I noticed a faint but noticeable rattle coming from the rear deck area. Anyone else experience something like this and know the source and fix for it?
Old 07-14-17, 11:42 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by missedapex
Hey LC owners,

I picked up my LC last night and on the way home I noticed a faint but noticeable rattle coming from the rear deck area. Anyone else experience something like this and know the source and fix for it?
I have zero rattles...
Old 07-15-17, 09:01 PM
wadeb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey LC owners,

Which LC do you have? Is it coming from the retractable spoiler area? Have them check it on your first service. No rattling noises for me in the touring package (no spoiler).
Old 09-04-17, 03:47 PM
Tmee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey LC owners,

Did you figure out what the rattle was?
Old 09-04-17, 10:37 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm guessing it's around the high mount brake light. Seems to be common, and there's a pending TSB coming for that ever so slight rattle/ticking up there. Have to pull the headliner to fix.
Old 09-16-17, 08:50 AM
missedapex
Rookie

I have the performance package, so it does have the retractable spoiler. However, the sound seems to be coming from the rear seat area. It has decreased in volume but can still be heard if you are listening for it. I will bring it up when I bring it in for its 1000 mile service.
Old 12-19-17, 12:30 AM
dyou2
Driver School Candidate

@missedapex I had the exact same issue but the noise sort of subsided but not entirely dissipated. What did the dealer do to resolve the issue? Please share!
Old 12-23-17, 11:22 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been told from the dealer that it is the 3rd brake light. A TSB is forth coming.
Old 06-01-18, 08:40 AM
LeslieC
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious if the rattle noise was ever fixed? I have the same exact thing happening and going to take it in. Any info will be helpful. Thank you!
Old 06-01-18, 08:50 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Like I said (9 months ago) TSB fix is available.
The following 3 users liked this post by TimboIS:
guanche2k9 (06-02-18), LeslieC (06-01-18), Oilman (06-02-18)
Old 06-02-18, 04:08 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

I have the exact same issue (I do have a Performance pack on mine). I mentioned it to the dealer - they will look into it when I bring it in next time.

I'll show them this thread...
Old 06-11-18, 04:40 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
I have the exact same issue (I do have a Performance pack on mine). I mentioned it to the dealer - they will look into it when I bring it in next time.

I'll show them this thread...
So I dropped off my LC today at the dealer. I went for a test drive with one of their tech's. He told me they've had a few other LC's with the same issue, and he thinks it's also the 3rd brake light. He said that when the car rolls on uneven surfaces and the body flexes, it causes a slight rub on the 3rd brake light, which produces the rattle/noise. What they usually do, is they install additional material to insulate and protect that area from producing any more noise. We'll see what they say when I pick up the car tomorrow! Keep you guys posted.
Old 06-22-18, 05:28 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Quick update:
My car's been at the dealer for the past 2 weeks!!!!! I'm furious, but they are still trying to figure out what the issue is with the noise in the rear of the cabin. They tried replacing the 3rd brake light, but still noise. They put additional material around it, and still noise. FTS ended up taking a look at it, and gave them instructions to remove all the interior paneling in the rear of the cabin and test drive to see where the issue was. This means, no back seats, no headliner, no rear cover under the rear glass - just bare! It really sucks to see my car like that ,especially after only having it for 1.5 months.

After all that, they still haven't been able to figure out where the sound is coming from - or what the source of it is. As per FTS's instructions, they cannot touch the vehicle any more. Now, FTS is actually flying here on Tuesday specifically for my vehicle so that he could work on it himself. I honestly do hope that he can figure it out - 2 weeks without my car and counting....
Old 06-22-18, 11:41 AM
missedapex
Rookie

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Quick update:
My car's been at the dealer for the past 2 weeks!!!!! I'm furious, but they are still trying to figure out what the issue is with the noise in the rear of the cabin. They tried replacing the 3rd brake light, but still noise. They put additional material around it, and still noise. FTS ended up taking a look at it, and gave them instructions to remove all the interior paneling in the rear of the cabin and test drive to see where the issue was. This means, no back seats, no headliner, no rear cover under the rear glass - just bare! It really sucks to see my car like that ,especially after only having it for 1.5 months.

After all that, they still haven't been able to figure out where the sound is coming from - or what the source of it is. As per FTS's instructions, they cannot touch the vehicle any more. Now, FTS is actually flying here on Tuesday specifically for my vehicle so that he could work on it himself. I honestly do hope that he can figure it out - 2 weeks without my car and counting....
This is why I have not taken my LC in, YET, for this fix. After some 'testing' I almost feel as if the sound is coming from the glass, maybe the clips holding the glass in. I'm not sure, but when checking the area I noticed that the rear glass seems pretty lose. Not as if it is going to fall our but rather there seems to be excessive play when pushing the glass up. Whatever the outcome turns out to be I cant wait as the rattle sound is a pain.
Old 06-22-18, 12:38 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

This is why I have not taken my LC in, YET, for this fix. After some 'testing' I almost feel as if the sound is coming from the glass, maybe the clips holding the glass in. I'm not sure, but when checking the area I noticed that the rear glass seems pretty lose. Not as if it is going to fall our but rather there seems to be excessive play when pushing the glass up. Whatever the outcome turns out to be I cant wait as the rattle sound is a pain.
The FTS mentioned something about the tabs in relation to the rear glass. They've had similar issues with the ES - as these tabs are used to specifically place the rear windshield at the factory.

MISSEDAPEX - try to see if you can reproduce the noise after the car has been sitting under the sun for at least an hour. The head tech at the dealer, mentioned that he was able to reproduce the noise in the rear cabin consistently, once he left the car sitting outside under the sun for a while - it seems that it is triggered with a hot cabin (in my case).

They also told me that if they are able to solve the noise, it is highly likely that they will issue out a TSB for this problem. My poor LC is the guinea pig in this whole thing....

Quick Reply: Slight Rattle Sound