LC Model (2018-present)

Slight Rattle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 09:29 PM
UserNamey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doclin
I am also in Tx. If you are willing please share what was done and at which dealership. My LC has been sitting in Park Place Plano waiting for the tech to take down the headliner to investigate the noise.
Thanks
It was fixed by lexus of austin. I'm out of town but when I get back I'll share the details on the paperwork on what the exact problem was.
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (08-26-18)
Old 08-26-18, 06:12 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by UserNamey
It was fixed by lexus of austin. I'm out of town but when I get back I'll share the details on the paperwork on what the exact problem was.
Thank you...that would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 08-29-18, 11:59 AM
doclin
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got the LC back. The rattle is STILL there..... The dealer did pull the headliner down and insulated some structural bracing bar in that area.

I'm going to make an appointment (3rd) for next week. I can believe I just bought the car 4 weeks ago and it has spend more time in the service dept than in my garage........
guanche2k9 (08-30-18)
Old 08-29-18, 07:52 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts

I. Also had the rattle and took it in to the dealer. They replaced the whole 3rd light assembly. The tech confirmed the plastic assembly was separating hence the rattle.
I have zero issues now👍🏼l
Oilman (08-30-18)
Old 08-30-18, 06:10 PM
UserNamey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Thank you...that would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
Still haven't gotten back to where the documents are, but as an update, the rattle has returned. However, it happens infrequently and is significantly less noticeable. Haven't decided whether I want to give up my car for another half a month to get it fixed.
Old 08-30-18, 08:04 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by UserNamey
Still haven't gotten back to where the documents are, but as an update, the rattle has returned. However, it happens infrequently and is significantly less noticeable. Haven't decided whether I want to give up my car for another half a month to get it fixed.
I don't blame you. I was supposed to go for a test drive with the head tech at my dealer last week - decided not to. Between the fuel pump replacement and this rattling sound, my car's been at the dealer for a total of 6 weeks. I'm not sure I want to leave it there any longer.

So the issues I have:
- a completely replaced strut tower on the rear driver's side - still making noise
- third brake light insulation - still rattling in the rear upper portion of the cabin
- a loud clicking sound coming from the rear passenger side (towards the bottom) - it's not the seat

I haven't enjoyed the car much, and I'm not sure I'm willing to leave it any longer at the dealer. Maybe by waiting a little longer, more TSB's will come out, which would allow the dealers to come to quicker solutions.
Ziad72 (07-22-20)
Old 09-02-18, 09:16 PM
doclin
Driver School Candidate

The rattle is 99% gone now....

This past week, I have spent at least 8 hours trying different approach. I'm pretty sure I found the source and the cure for my rattle tonight. Also fixed a buzzing/vibration in steering column area.

tomorrow will road test some more. will post pics and recommendation later
guanche2k9 (09-03-18)
Old 09-09-18, 01:36 PM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The rattle is 99% gone now....

This past week, I have spent at least 8 hours trying different approach. I'm pretty sure I found the source and the cure for my rattle tonight. Also fixed a buzzing/vibration in steering column area.

tomorrow will road test some more. will post pics and recommendation later
Any update and or directions on how you addressed the rattles?
Old 09-09-18, 05:43 PM
doclin
Driver School Candidate

YES. All quiet now. Since last post, I have driven over 500 miles.

There were 3 distinct problem areas. The last 2 were located close together and led to some confusion and doubt that it was resolved 100%.

Rattle #1

Steering column vibrating/buzzing sound.----solved by adding some felt material in the space shown below

sgtLC (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 05:49 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

YES. All quiet now. Since last post, I have driven over 500 miles.

There were 3 distinct problem areas. The last 2 were located close together and led to some confusion and doubt that it was resolved 100%.

Rattle #1

Steering column vibrating/buzzing sound.----solved by adding some felt material in the space shown below

Thank you for the update - I'd be more interested in the other rattling sound please (in the rear portion of the cabin) - if you experienced that PLEASE.

Thanks
Old 09-09-18, 05:59 PM
sgtLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So got my LC back from the dealer last week and the noise is still there. They even showed me pics of what the problem was and explained what was causing the issue. Not sure if I want to even bother to go back there for round 3, may just try to fix it myself.
Old 09-09-18, 06:08 PM
doclin
Driver School Candidate

Rattle #2

The Lexus tech did drop the headliner just above the rear passenger seat. This will expose a brace shown below.

He did add some felt material to several locations. However those were too soft to creating any sort of wedging or expansion effect.
Using some Lego parts and plastic forks, I was able to create some stronger spacers as below

Next, shove/wedge those spacer into every possible source. I was not going to test them one at at time.

I even added some to the brace further towards the front

sgtLC (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 06:16 PM
doclin
Driver School Candidate

Furthermore, I felt like the foam padding may also be a source of noise.

So I added a thin t shirt to cover those areas. You can also see some of the fork spacers below

Rattle #2 SOLVED

will post #3 solution later tonight. Family event now.
take care.
The following 2 users liked this post by doclin:
guanche2k9 (09-10-18), gvd (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 05:25 AM
gvd
Driver School Candidate

@doclin - i feel that with some spare rolls of duck tape and Lego blocks you could solve world hunger
but seriously thank you for documenting these steps. i've delayed letting my dealership debug this until i could point them somewhere. i'll wait until your third post but i want to say my rattle is a result of your #2, the placement looks like it's in the right location. thanks!
Old 09-10-18, 07:04 AM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtLC
So got my LC back from the dealer last week and the noise is still there. They even showed me pics of what the problem was and explained what was causing the issue. Not sure if I want to even bother to go back there for round 3, may just try to fix it myself.
Would you be willing to share what they told you or even the pics?

Quick Reply: Slight Rattle Sound