LC Model (2018-present)

LC 500 cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 04:56 PM
SilverC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe there are any cons with this car.

The interior is straight gorgeous.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverC430:
bobraynard (08-04-17), DonC1 (12-12-22)
Old 08-13-17, 05:13 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The whole RC/LC thing doesn't make sense to me from a business standpoint.

For decades car companies have screamed that coupes are a niche market, much less high end coupes, and that 4 doors/suvs are the bread and butter.

So, Lexus brings out the LC a few years after the RC, both 2+2s, maybe pissing off a lot of RC customers that plinked down big money for the best Lexus coupe available at the time in the RCF.

Now Lexus has two 70+k coupes within a relatively small lineup of models..

And if an LCF comes out, you're now going to have a low volume, high priced coupe rolling three different engine options, etc?

Cons on the car, weight is for sure one of them.

Cons on the business concept of two high end coupes with multiple drivetrain options, my prediction is that one of them won't exist for long.
Old 04-15-19, 10:19 AM
canes580
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a small gripe to some, but why can't a hundred grand luxury coup have windshield visors that slide back to block the sun from the side like other Lexus' do? Some people with long legs sit further back!
Old 04-15-19, 11:55 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sounds like you need a minivan.
LOL, similar thoughts were going through my head.

It sounds like a sports car probably isn’t the best fit for your needs.
Old 04-17-19, 12:38 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
The whole RC/LC thing doesn't make sense to me from a business standpoint.

For decades car companies have screamed that coupes are a niche market, much less high end coupes, and that 4 doors/suvs are the bread and butter.

So, Lexus brings out the LC a few years after the RC, both 2+2s, maybe pissing off a lot of RC customers that plinked down big money for the best Lexus coupe available at the time in the RCF.

Now Lexus has two 70+k coupes within a relatively small lineup of models..

And if an LCF comes out, you're now going to have a low volume, high priced coupe rolling three different engine options, etc?

Cons on the car, weight is for sure one of them.

Cons on the business concept of two high end coupes with multiple drivetrain options, my prediction is that one of them won't exist for long.
I can tell you now from real street talk. People who would have bought the LC500 in 2017-2018 have opted to wait for the LC-F instead as the word has gotten out about how heavy and slow the LC500 and LC500H are hence the major depreciation going on right now. What perplexes me is why give your company's new halo coupe the same motor and near identical hp/tq numbers as your previous variant coupe that's $30K less? Yes the interior and body styling of the LC500 to me are vastly superior to the RC-F however, is the interior and the body style worth the extra $30K? I fear that Lexus may be shooting themselves in the foot by moving forward with an LC-F. It will be slightly lighter maybe, 600+hp TT is rumored however with a weight of over 2 tons even 800hp will barely be able to allow the LC-F to keep up with even a turbo KIA so, what's the point? Luxury? Reliability? That's not why people buy a twin turbo anything LOL. Besides if Lexus does follow through with an LC-F it will be too late as I'm sure there will be plenty of exotic EV cars on the market that will be raising the bar for automotive performance and light years ahead of the obsolete combustion motor even with FI.
Old 04-18-19, 09:26 AM
Oilman
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I think your thoughts are spot on. The LC 500 is beautiful but too heavy and too underpowered for the luxury coupe competition. The EV world will make the LC obsolete all too quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oilman:
Thorne (04-18-19), Zeitaku (04-19-19)
Old 04-20-19, 06:26 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you will really enjoy the cooled seats in the summer. I, also an old fart, would never had dreamed of paying extra for a heated steering wheel (it comes std with the appropriate packages), but found out I loved it during the winter
Old 04-20-19, 06:46 AM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
I can tell you now from real street talk. People who would have bought the LC500 in 2017-2018 have opted to wait for the LC-F instead as the word has gotten out about how heavy and slow the LC500 and LC500H are hence the major depreciation going on right now. What perplexes me is why give your company's new halo coupe the same motor and near identical hp/tq numbers as your previous variant coupe that's $30K less? Yes the interior and body styling of the LC500 to me are vastly superior to the RC-F however, is the interior and the body style worth the extra $30K? I fear that Lexus may be shooting themselves in the foot by moving forward with an LC-F. It will be slightly lighter maybe, 600+hp TT is rumored however with a weight of over 2 tons even 800hp will barely be able to allow the LC-F to keep up with even a turbo KIA so, what's the point? Luxury? Reliability? That's not why people buy a twin turbo anything LOL. Besides if Lexus does follow through with an LC-F it will be too late as I'm sure there will be plenty of exotic EV cars on the market that will be raising the bar for automotive performance and light years ahead of the obsolete combustion motor even with FI.
A very interesting thread going on here with excellent points being made.

Of course people have the right to nitpick this and that about anything and that's their nature.Life would be too boring if everyone agreed on everything.

I selected to purchase my LC by a process of elimination.

I didn't want any more Vettes because I could not enjoy the power (without getting a speeding ticket) and really disliked the continuous scratching underneath. Plus there must be at least 10 of them in my neighborhood. No one has an LC.

I did not want to deal with the low reliability of the Mercedes or Bimmers. They have some very attractive models in this price range but...the reliability?

Oh, lets talk about the depreciation. Who cares ! All cars depreciate, some more and faster than others.

I think the real issue is affordability. This is not the run of the mill car purchase scenario. When you consider buying this car, IMHO, you have to decide if you want to put all the money into it accepting whatever you will get when and if you decide to sell it.

So if you get a little less or a little more you wont get all messed up because what you did not get back is the cost to own this unique automobile.

I am not trying to be insensitive to others but I like putting things in perspective.

Puertex
The following 2 users liked this post by Puertex:
DRGibbons (04-20-19), harryjames (05-29-21)
Old 04-20-19, 01:31 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilman
I think your thoughts are spot on. The LC 500 is beautiful but too heavy and too underpowered for the luxury coupe competition. The EV world will make the LC obsolete all too quickly.
I hear this claim tossed around quite a bit. Have you actually done a direct comparison of the LC and it's competitors in the same price range? I have and its not underpowered, it sits toward the top of the list.
Old 04-20-19, 04:03 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Puertex
I selected to purchase my LC by a process of elimination.
Funny, I got the LC because that was the particular car I explicitly wanted. I was intrigued by it since the day I saw the concept and as soon as it hit the market, I visited the dealership to place an order.
If it wasn't for the LC, I'd probably still be driving with my old car.
The following users liked this post:
DRGibbons (04-21-19)
Old 04-21-19, 07:56 AM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
Funny, I got the LC because that was the particular car I explicitly wanted. I was intrigued by it since the day I saw the concept and as soon as it hit the market, I visited the dealership to place an order.
If it wasn't for the LC, I'd probably still be driving with my old car.
It's interesting to see other points of view.
It was not that easy for me. I takes me longer to pull the trigger in decisions like this.
My wife played a big part on this selection because she has a bad back and was complaining about my previous cars.
But... We were visiting the Lexus dealer during late December 2018 and there was the last LC in the showroom.
She looked at it, got in it and liked it !
The rest is history. Got a good deal too since it was December 30.
What color combo is yours?

Puertex
Old 04-21-19, 06:06 PM
robdinero
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Very interesting observations about the LC here, no one asked but I'll add my 2cents. I traded my 2016 CTS V for my LC and haven't had a single regret. Is the car I traded faster than my LC well, of course, it was basically a Corvette z06 with 4 doors. Not knocking the V it was nice but the LC is special IMO and makes me feel special when I drive it. The look, the sounds it makes when getting on the accelerator the fit and finish etc make the experience a step above a lot of offerings. Although this car can be had at a reasonable price it still has an air of exclusivity simply because you don't see them on the road and when people do some break there necks to take a pic or have me roll the window down while driving to ask questions. I have had other high end cars that never got this much attention and maybe I'm shallow but it feels good that other people like my car or at least find it interesting enough to strike up a conversation about it.
My story is a simple one, I saw something pretty researched her brought her home and fell in love. There will always be some new thing that will be faster and/or more exclusive that is the nature of automobile evolution. Until the next I sure am enjoying this beauty, "carpe diem"!
The following 6 users liked this post by robdinero:
DRGibbons (04-21-19), Puertex (04-22-19), timrudy (07-23-19), Vitveet (10-23-19), web4488 (04-23-19), ZC94 (05-01-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-27-21, 01:32 PM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Seriously, how often are people changing seat heat/cool settings to complain about buttons?? I for one am glad there's no button overload (especially for infrequently used features). I set mine on cool when I left the dealer and haven't touched them since. Honestly, I think people are going out of their way to complain. Plus, the seats have an AUTO setting, and don't need constant adjusting, as they're linked to main A/C settings. People complaining, or that don't want to use voice are just being ****. Along the same lines as the fake news "radio stations can't be changed while moving". Lexus provides multiple ways to achieve the same result.
In drier areas like Norcal it's often quite cold in the morning and gets to 90+ by thr afternoon. I'm literally adjusting seat heating/ventilating every day for long stretches of the year. I don't particularly like the auto function because a lot of the times, particularly when it's cold, I just want the seat to be warm and I don't need the air.

I seriously cross shopped the two cars, and I was looking for a daily driver. The LC is simply too impractical for that purpose. The trunk can't even hold a weekend's worth of luggage comfortably, whereas I can and have gone Costco shopping in the RC. Only 1 cup holder is just bewildering. I'm 5'8 with short arms/legs and I like to sit close to the steering wheel. My wife's 5'3. We can actually reasonably comfortably fit 2 adults in the back of the RC, not so in the LC.

The LC looks and sounds so damn good, I really wanted it, but it's just too impractical for my needs.
Old 05-27-21, 01:36 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Different strokes for different folks.
The following users liked this post:
dingyibvs (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 01:57 PM
redhot47fl
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 129 Posts

OK, I see incoming iPhone texts on the LC screen and, if I react quickly enough, I can get the car to read them to me. But they’re identified verbally by phone number rather than by the sender’s name, even though that information is in my contact list. Am I missing a setting someplace?

Quick Reply: LC 500 cons