LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 10:06 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The brake dust is reduculoius. I'm hoping to replace them with low-dust pads at the 1,000 mile service.
Old 07-01-17, 12:21 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The brake dust is reduculoius. I'm hoping to replace them with low-dust pads at the 1,000 mile service.
I agree, I'm cleaning my wheels daily...
The following 2 users liked this post by Craig B:
D1N NYC (07-25-22), finny76 (12-02-17)
Old 07-01-17, 04:10 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by Craig B
Definitely voice your displeasure with the dealer or corp. When the '06 IS and '07 GS came out, they had the same issue. Then a TSB came out giving customers a one time option to have low dust pads installed free of charge.
Old 07-01-17, 05:04 PM
Craig B

Definitely voice your displeasure with the dealer or corp. When the '06 IS and '07 GS came out, they had the same issue. Then a TSB came out giving customers a one time option to have low dust pads installed free of charge.
Okay, I will mention it to the shop foreman at the dealership. If I have to, I will call the Lexus central office, not the 1-800 number...
Old 07-01-17, 05:43 PM
wadeb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I use a duster shaped like a toilet brush to get the caked up dust out of the wheels whenever I wash it. It's a common issue with "high performance" pads.
Old 07-01-17, 06:37 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by wadeb
Yeah, I use a duster shaped like a toilet brush to get the caked up dust out of the wheels whenever I wash it. It's a common issue with "high performance" pads.
There are plenty of low-dust, high-performance brake pads out there: Akebono, Centric, Hawk (to name a few).
Old 07-01-17, 07:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The 4GS F-Sport brakes had (and still has) this problem. Lexus has to do something with their performance oriented brakes. They stop well, but squeal like swines.
Old 07-02-17, 04:56 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

​​​​​​i had experience as a 7 year old at the time the '06 IS came out and it was definitely terrible with brake dust, my mom had a red 350, and my sister had a silver 250 AWD and the front wheels would be like a dark grey to black color
Old 07-03-17, 07:39 AM
Craig B

I spoke to the shop foreman, he said that's normal with high performance brakes. My 996 twin turbo Porsche had ceramic brakes and they didn't have this kind of dust issues. He is going to contact Lexus with a product report, but I don't expect any changes. He's going to let me know. Please let me know if anyone hears anything. He said with low dust pads, it would diminish braking.
Old 07-03-17, 08:35 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I spoke to the shop foreman, he said that's normal with high performance brakes. My 996 twin turbo Porsche had ceramic brakes and they didn't have this kind of dust issues. He is going to contact Lexus with a product report, but I don't expect any changes. He's going to let me know. Please let me know if anyone hears anything. He said with low dust pads, it would diminish braking.
Of course he's going to say that, low dust pads do reduce braking marginally. I'm willing to give up dust for that. I'm not tracking the LC so I'll gladly make the tradeoff. I have more brake dust on the LC in 2 days that I get on the Huracan in a year.

BTW, does Lexus do new vehicle surveys any more?
The following users liked this post:
fauxphotog (07-14-17)
Old 07-03-17, 10:41 AM
Craig B

Of course he's going to say that, low dust pads do reduce braking marginally. I'm willing to give up dust for that. I'm not tracking the LC so I'll gladly make the tradeoff. I have more brake dust on the LC in 2 days that I get on the Huracan in a year.

BTW, does Lexus do new vehicle surveys any more?
I think they do, I already received one about my delivery...
Old 07-14-17, 11:19 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE: Had to take it again to the dealership, this time I went to WOODLAND HILLS LEXUS. Getting similar answers (not much service can do), but they are going to contact LEXUS CORP directly, to see what type of solutions they can find. Its extremely frustrating that the brakes are this terrible, they squeal very loud at this point. Worst case scenario I just eat the negative on it, and just jump into a different car.
Old 07-14-17, 11:25 AM
wadeb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
UPDATE: Had to take it again to the dealership, this time I went to WOODLAND HILLS LEXUS. Getting similar answers (not much service can do), but they are going to contact LEXUS CORP directly, to see what type of solutions they can find. Its extremely frustrating that the brakes are this terrible, they squeal very loud at this point. Worst case scenario I just eat the negative on it, and just jump into a different car.
Oh man. Ask Lexus to pay for the purchase and install of aftermarket pads. It's not worth taking a hit on the depreciation. Is the occasional aggressive braking trick not working for you?
The following users liked this post:
FlyTvr (08-04-22)
Old 07-14-17, 11:30 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can try to make their lives difficult, and press them to buy the car back, but I really doubt they would go for it. I don't think it qualifies as a lemon either over "brakes". I'll wait and see what Lexus NA has to say, and go from there. If they can assist me with it great, if not... as much as I love the car, the way it sounds, it looks, interior, tech, just isn't worth the price if you can't even pull up to dinner without making brake noise. it over powers the exhaust note.
Old 07-14-17, 11:52 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
I can try to make their lives difficult, and press them to buy the car back, but I really doubt they would go for it. I don't think it qualifies as a lemon either over "brakes". I'll wait and see what Lexus NA has to say, and go from there. If they can assist me with it great, if not... as much as I love the car, the way it sounds, it looks, interior, tech, just isn't worth the price if you can't even pull up to dinner without making brake noise. it over powers the exhaust note.
Ya, yust go to Speedy Brakes etc., and get them to look at it. Worst case costs you a few hundred $. Seems much easier than the hassle you're going through.

Quick Reply: Brakes