LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 06:11 PM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brakes

Hey guys new to the forum! I got my LC 500 about 1.5 Months ago, currently have about 1700 miles already driven. Absolutely love the car, the sound, the comfortability, quite frankly this car has the best seats I've ever sat in, for a car. The attention the car gets is crazy, people think its a concept running down the streets. As long as you don't consider this car more than just a GT Cruiser, you will not be disappointed. But I have one issue... THE BRAKES!! :-( They have been squeaking for the past week, so I took it to Valencia Lexus for service, to get it checked out.. I got the car back, and the following explanations were given to me.

- The brakes are "GLAZING"
- The rotors are turning "BLUE"
- Don't drive the car too "HARD"
- The brakes are fine
- The rotors look good

I tell my service guy there, I have had many cars in the past, performance, exotic, whatever may have you. Ive never heard of any of the excuses you just gave me, I don't understand what you mean by "GLAZING" or turning "BLUE" and isn't this car a sports car? I should be able to drive it hard, which in all honesty I don't. I drive the car in Sport + at all times and use the paddle shifts.. If I want to drive a comfort car ill use a diff vehicle.. I don't really twist and turn the car.. So I drive off, and nothing was changed, if anything it sounds worse now.. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this? Or have heard of any of these excuses in the past? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU!!!

Brakes-june2k17edit77.jpgBrakes-june2k17edit76.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by fauxphotog:
Ezroni (05-30-18), Nabeelkhan (11-26-17)
Old 06-14-17, 06:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Glazing is when the brakes are over worked for extended time (like on the track). Steel rotors aren't really meant for that type of duty, especially a heavy car like the LC. It is a GT cruiser after all. Was it indeed tracked? Happened on a friends A4, he ended up upgrading the brakes, after they became glazed and warped from tracking it.
The following users liked this post:
fauxphotog (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 06:43 PM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

No, I haven't taken it to the track. Just normal LA city driving. Nothing out of the ordinary. A push here and there, but nothing where the car is abused or had the brakes smoking.. Love you collection man!! Im currently looking at a Huracan, R8 V10+ or 570S. Trading in my S8. +/- on all 3. Got a bit of time before I make the final decision. Congrats on your sick LC color!!
Old 06-14-17, 06:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Also, I'm of the mind the LC is so new that issues may appear. Just wait it out a while and see what others experience with theirs. I'm sure things will shake out over time.
fauxphotog (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 07:02 PM
OregonLC50
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be applying the brakes excessively hard too frequently. Notwithstanding, the dealer should fix it.
fauxphotog (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 07:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

On a car of this stature the brakes should never be a problem no matter how you drive short of dragging the brakes where ever you go. If your Lexus dealer won't help I would call Lexus directly.
fauxphotog (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 08:35 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you having issues with the front/rear/both?

No offense and I'll assume that you don't 'ride' the brakes with your left foot.

If the pads are glazing and the rotors are turning blue and you're not doing track time/serious canyon carving, it sounds like there is some braking force being applied when you're not on them. Maybe it's an issue with the brake by wire system? I know some manufacturers actively pulse the brakes periodically when the car senses rain (so that the rotors stay dry.)

Purely speculation on my part but could Lexus have programmed the brakes to apply a very slight amount force (in sport or sport+ mode perhaps) when you're coasting/not on the throttle to speed up and/or improve brake response?

Regardless. I'd take the car out on the freeway when there is very little traffic, like early Sunday am.. Drive around for a few minutes to make sure the brakes are cool and then just coast to a stop. Get out (where its safe) and see how hot the rotors are.

Last edited by al503; 06-14-17 at 08:44 PM.
fauxphotog (06-14-17)
Old 06-15-17, 10:26 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Thanks fellas! Gonna try to take it back in for service next week, when I get a chance. See if they can come up with a solution for me. Rather embarrassing pulling up somewhere, with the brakes squeaking like that :-(
Old 06-15-17, 02:56 PM
734jeant
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
Congrats on your sick LC color!!
TimboIS What IS that color?
Old 06-15-17, 05:00 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by 734jeant
TimboIS What IS that color?
Atomic Silver
Old 06-22-17, 11:41 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Can you post up pictures of the brake rotors as they sit now?
Thanks Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-22-17, 12:12 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
Can you post up pictures of the brake rotors as they sit now?
Thanks Mike
Gotta love when vendors sig-bomb threads with gratuitous replies.
Old 06-23-17, 08:07 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Gotta love when vendors sig-bomb threads with gratuitous replies.
I am here to solve problems, not drop gratuitous sig bombs. We have worked on braking for all of the Lexus models for the past 10 years, so trying to see what the issue is to offer advice. There are plenty of other vendors that add no value, but that is not my intent in this case. Thanks, Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
The following 2 users liked this post by FIGS:
memorekt (10-27-23), TOPENDMS (04-14-19)
Old 06-23-17, 09:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Vendors support this site so I don't see any (-) reason for their replies for trying to help.
Unlike other business who try to sneak in and not pay as a vendor.

It's been a week, so has the squealing gotten better?
talltrini1 (07-03-17)
Old 07-01-17, 01:51 AM
wadeb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the brake dust collecting on the rotors. I have the exact same issue on my LC 500. Had the 1,000 mile service and it's still there. Had a Challenger Blacktop with the same issue and the Dodge technicians told me to brake hard a few times at highway speeds. This actually works, the friction cleans the rotors and they stop squeaking for a day or two. Pressure washing the rotors works as well. Also just brake a little too hard at stop lights etc. and you can avoid that "squeak point".
FlyTvr (08-04-22)

Quick Reply: Brakes