LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 11:26 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
My biggest gripe about this whole situation is simple, LEXUS should advise clients while they are sitting in the financial offices before signing the paperwork, that this car can / might have brake issues. There are plenty reports of customers with LC 500's, reporting the same issues. Yes, high performance vehicles do have these same issues, but this isn't really a high performance car. Its a GT, its a heavy coupe, that quite frankly is an amazing vehicle. But unfortunately the brakes can be terrible. I know that I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle, if I was told there could be these issues. I am happy that I got rid of my LC 500, even tho I do miss the beautiful design. The whole point of my initial post, was to bring awareness, and warn those future clients what they are getting themselves into. I highly doubt anyone will want to pay $1400+ a month for a car that starts giving brake noise issues only after 1500 miles. I have seen some people claim it started doing it earlier. It only got worse the more I drove it, and the more lexus tried fixing it. My LC 500 had 7400 miles when I traded it in.
You mean this?:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I purchased a new LC 500 a few weeks ago for spring delivery. The sales contract had a spot for remarks and typed in there was " high performance brakes will make a loud squeal which is normal".
If their sales contract says that it may be because they have had issues. I also have a 911 which has 45,000 miles on it with no squeals"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10084118

Last edited by uchujin; 02-15-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 11:28 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My biggest gripe about this whole situation is simple, LEXUS should advise clients while they are sitting in the financial offices before signing the paperwork, that this car can / might have brake issues. There are plenty reports of customers with LC 500's, reporting the same issues. Yes, high performance vehicles do have these same issues, but this isn't really a high performance car. Its a GT, its a heavy coupe, that quite frankly is an amazing vehicle. But unfortunately the brakes can be terrible. I know that I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle, if I was told there could be these issues. I am happy that I got rid of my LC 500, even tho I do miss the beautiful design. The whole point of my initial post, was to bring awareness, and warn those future clients what they are getting themselves into. I highly doubt anyone will want to pay $1400+ a month for a car that starts giving brake noise issues only after 1500 miles. I have seen some people claim it started doing it earlier. It only got worse the more I drove it, and the more lexus tried fixing it. My LC 500 had 7400 miles when I traded it in.
I can see this being annoying for sure, as stated above this happened to me when I had my RC. I would even have squeaking when going into reverse. Clearly it was the brake pads and when I told him about it they wrote it off. I actually went to a local shop and had them replace the front brake pads with the same OEM pads and no more squeaks. For myself this situation is semi different since I have only had the car for less than 48 hours. If they were carbon ceramics I wouldnt care because I know it happens but for steel calipers and high friction brake pads I get a little worried. Ether way we will find out the problem.
The following users liked this post:
fauxphotog (02-16-18)
Old 02-15-18, 02:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

And so far, still - Only ONE member here, VicAndRay has bedded in his brakes, and it worked for him. I'm simply amazed no one else has

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...literally.html

Lou
Old 02-16-18, 12:53 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
And so far, still - Only ONE member here, VicAndRay has bedded in his brakes, and it worked for him. I'm simply amazed no one else has

Lou
Is lexus paying me for this? or compensating me for doing it? if no, then why do I have to go out of my way to do something like this? I just feel like its a hassle to be dealing with something like this, on a brand new car.
Old 02-16-18, 12:56 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
You mean this?:
"I purchased a new LC 500 a few weeks ago for spring delivery. The sales contract had a spot for remarks and typed in there was " high performance brakes will make a loud squeal which is normal".
If their sales contract says that it may be because they have had issues. I also have a 911 which has 45,000 miles on it with no squeals"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10084118
I got my LC 500 in May 2017. I could well have been one of the first in the LA area to get one. At the time, they did NOT have this warning on my contract. If I had been warned, up front about it. I would have NOT gotten the vehicle. The car is not equipped with Ceramic Brakes, which I know is a norm for brake noise. On my 2017 Audi S8+ I have yet to have any brake noise, and I have 11K miles on the vehicle, equipped with ceramic brakes. A much heavier car than the LC 500.
Old 02-16-18, 01:23 AM
SaraEv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess you haven't sorted through the site sponsors yet. Figs is one of the good guys

And the brake "issue" was common with some drivers of all the F cars (ISF, RCF, GSF) the "fix" if you want to call it that, was to put on less aggressive, lower dusting, and much less noisy pad. My solution on my ISF was more aggressive aftermarket (Ferodo & Project Mu) pads.

Most folks who go with the Less aggressive pad are unhappy with the choice, though some are happy.

Here's a recent thread from the GSF Forum:

chеapаutoinsurаnce.сom
Old 02-16-18, 07:10 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Lou
Because it’s temporary at best. Might work for a few days, and certainly leads to premature wear. No thanks!
fauxphotog (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 09:17 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You are VERY wrong on both counts! I have years of experience saying that it certainly does work and does NOT lead to premature brake wear! And, if you are to be believed, why do brake pad manufacturers and experts recommend it?

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

I have been driving for a lot of years, and with the advent of disc brakes and calipers ever the years, bedding has become de rigueur. You have challenged me in the past. You are free to believe what you choose to believe, but you are bucking the industry and your opinion is simply wrong.

Lou
Old 02-16-18, 12:22 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

^^^^You are VERY wrong on both counts! I have years of experience saying that it certainly does work and does NOT lead to premature brake wear! And, if you are to be believed, why do brake pad manufacturers and experts recommend it?

I have been driving for a lot of years, and with the advent of disc brakes and calipers ever the years, bedding has become de rigueur. You have challenged me in the past. You are free to believe what you choose to believe, but you are bucking the industry and your opinion is simply wrong.

Lou
Porsche has the same issue, and nothing can be done. The brakes on the LC are MUCH larger than IS/GS/RC and will have more harmonic/noise. I'm guessing design and materials have change since the olden days from when you were driving.

McLaren has gone the route of a TSB installing mass dampers, but that has it's own issues.

Wow, brake pad manufactures want you to brake more often and harder, who would have thought?!?
Old 02-20-18, 09:38 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Lou
Out of sheer curiosity, I went out in the early morning hours and tried this exactly as described, but to no avail. Brakes still sound like a train.
Old 02-20-18, 09:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Hmm, I've done this on my ISF Twice, my old pads and my Ferodos and on my last G35 when I changed pads. It's never failed me. You sure you heated them up enough? Each time, when I finished, my brakes were smokin' and smellin!

Lou
Old 02-20-18, 09:53 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure about the smoke (it was dark) but I definitely got the burnt smell.
Old 02-22-18, 08:26 AM
RacingBrake
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think MB E63S is comparable to LC500, you may wonder what brake is favored by E63 owners.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-556miles.html
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Gents,
At 216.6K I can tell you the brake dust is less than stock but not as low as some focusing on that. Pretty much matches the rears now. No noticeable fade on spirited mountain driving. Very good brake feel. I wish I could report how it does on the track, but I will update,
Oh yes, no squeal and no problems in the cold. Where 25F is about as cold as they would get.

Best part is I kept my floating rotors for a fraction of the price now that I only change the iron disk!

Last edited by RacingBrake; 02-22-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 03:52 PM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

My LC does suffer from some brake squeal at lower speeds. However, I have found that cleaning the brakes with a power washer does stop the noise for a week or so.
Old 02-26-18, 12:10 AM
Adonael
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is lexus paying me for this? or compensating me for doing it? if no, then why do I have to go out of my way to do something like this? I just feel like its a hassle to be dealing with something like this, on a brand new car.
I just feel like you're acting like a brat. Bedding is common knowledge, I have always done it every time I change my own pads. Yes, it should already be done on a newly delivered car sure, but after that are you really going to trust somebody else to go out in your car and do it, and where's the hassle exactly? Oh no, you get to go out for 10 or 20 minutes once every pad change and drive this incredible machine even more? The horror! Why, you'll have to wipe your schedule for the next month to accomplish such a feat! You feel faint at the suggestion, such is the inconvenience! Where's that hyperventilation bag?
flowrider (02-26-18)

Quick Reply: Brakes