LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 09:52 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
(Sorry if anyone thinks I am hijacking this post. It IS based on the squealing brake issue.)

WOW! Thanks for the quick and informative responses. I had forgotten how cordial and helpful the members of “ClubLexus” are. After trading in my ’08 RX400h on a ’15 BMW X3 in Dec. ’14, I had pretty much stopped checking in.

On Monday I went to the Philly Auto Show with the express purpose of checking out the MB SL550 (and any other luxo-sport coupes) even though I’ve been researching it for months and had test-driven an SL450. Imagine my surprise to see that all they had was a USED UNDETAILED SL450 up on a pedestal which you couldn’t even sit in it!

However, when you looked left at the Lexus display, what grabbed EVERYONE’s attention who gazed in that direction was a Drop-Dead Gorgeous Infrared LC500, a vehicle that I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW EXISTED! To tell you the truth, I have dismissed Lexus and Toyota since they have embraced the “spindle grill” front end design. I didn’t like it when Audi went with the huge grill, either. Maybe I’m just rationalizing, but the “spindle grill’ seems to “work” nicely on the LC 500.

I had already decided to drop by my Lexus dealer today to check out the Nightfall Mica LC 550 in their showroom and after reading this extensive post on brake problems, wanted to ask a service rep about it. I found one I recognized from my 400h days. He said that they’ve sold four LC 550s to older guys who don’t drive them a lot or aggressively (which would also describe ME) and he hasn’t heard anything about brakes from those owners. He did say over the years there have been problems with some IS and GS models.

Of course, what did I EXPECT him to say? Since I’m just now starting to consider an LC, before actually putting a deposit on one I will ask him again and what would happen if I start running into brake squealing problems. (Which of course, would be meaningless if “squeal came to squeak.”)

Regarding the LC vs. SL, they way I see it, the SL550:
1. VERY outdated dash which won’t be revised until the next gen
2. No HUD
3. MORE $
4. My wife and I am not a “vert people,” so the only advantage with that would be to show off the really cool retractable hardtop to my friends

The way I see the LC 500 (not having driven one, yet):
1. POS: Distinctive styling interior and exterior
2. POS: Awesome engine SOUND
3. NEG: Smaller trunk and waste of space rear seats
4. NEG: Goofball non-intuitive touch-pad interface for the screen controller

This wouldn’t happen until April when the weather breaks around here. The LC 500 would replace my ’09 Corvette Coupe which does not see the road if there’s any wet weather or salt. Until then, I will continue to LURK on this board and glean more knowledge. ;-)
The older guys who bought the 4 LC500 from the dealer up by you probably didn't get the performance package on their models either. If you opt for the performance package like I did you will get brake squeal from time to time it's simply part of the equation really when getting performance pads and rotors. They stop the 4,300 lb LC like a tank hitting 500 tons of steel. This should not even be considered a factor to base a purchasing decision on though IMHO. Ignore all the Youtube reviews you have seen on the LC500's infotainment system as each reviewer will have a bias to what they are not familiar with. Most of these guys who reviewed the LC500 got loaners from owners or a dealer and never really spent time with the vehicle. A few hours or even a day is not enough time to form a genuine opinion about anything on the LC500. The infotainment functions great and all these people making fuses about it being clumsy obviously haven't figured out the short cuts on the system like I did after having a month of time in the car exploring literally every feature within the system parameters.

If you get the VGRS, active rear steering and performance package on your LC500 you will be able to push the car on rails and it will hunker down and stick like glue. Gives you confidence driving fast and hard on turns. already had mine over 150mph and it still wanted more. Very stable and solid. Or, opt for cruising in ECO mode around town and you'll get optimal fuel economy and battery reserve. I'm getting 19mpg in town driving in Sport S+ in manual mode and around 22-26mpg in ECO mode. Show me a domestic car making 471hp on a V8 getting that kind of fuel economy. The other cool thing that no one has really touched on is the Mark Levinson 950watt stereo with 13 speakers upgrade. Pop a DVD int the CD drive of the CL500 of your favorite action movie and crank up the stereo to around 45-50 volume DB and you have one of the best personal cinematic experiences you've ever had. The 10.3 wide LCD screen on the dash coupled by the Levinson surround sound sounds better than any theater you will ever visit or have been in hands down. Voice commands and voice recognition are also topics hardly ever discussed in the LC500. The car is way ahead of the game and is a technologically advanced car. I could go on and on about it. Just buy the car. YOU WON'T regret it.
Old 02-01-18, 04:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

houston autos how had a red/caramel loaded LC on the floor for people to see, TONS of people were around it. SL just looks like an obese car with its large body and small windows. Not athletic at all.

My main issue with the brakes is since its brake by wire, at low speeds there are some modulation and brake feel issues. But then again im coming from a performance pack mustang GT with 6 pistons and a viper with extremely touchy brakes
Old 02-01-18, 06:16 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
If you opt for the performance package like I did you will get brake squeal from time to time it's simply part of the equation really when getting performance pads and rotors..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK there is nothing included in the Performance Pkg that alters the braking system. All LC vehicles are factory-equipped with the same brakes.

Last edited by uchujin; 02-01-18 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-01-18, 11:10 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK there is nothing included in the Performance Pkg that alters the braking system. All LC vehicles are factory-equipped with the same brakes.
I wondered the same thing. Usually with extra cost performance packages, the manufacturer touts the upgraded braking system over the standard but I see nothing anywhere denoting that, even on window stickers. Nothing in the PDF brochure, either.

My '09 Vette has the Z51 package and they hype the brakes over the standard coupe. And, I got the M Sport package on my '18 BMW X3 and they hype the brakes on that, too. (BTW, no squeaks or squeals from either of these vehicles.)

This is the only blurb about the braking system on the LC 500 website. There is an ominous ASTERISK, but I can't seem to find where it leads to.

SIX-PISTON FRONT CALIPERS WITH TWO-PIECE BRAKE ROTORS

"The LC delivers a high-performance braking system with massive monoblock aluminum six-piston front calipers with two-piece brake rotors and large, high-friction coefficient brake pads* for serious stopping power."

Last edited by BobBass; 02-01-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 01:35 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might i add that the larger the brake rotor and the more pistons a caliper has with full pads you will get brake squeal to some extent.

Porsche explains it very well!

The following 2 users liked this post by lsflame:
uchujin (02-01-18), VVTiBob (02-13-18)
Old 02-02-18, 04:20 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by lsflame
Might i add that the larger the brake rotor and the more pistons a caliper has with full pads you will get brake squeal to some extent.

Porsche explains it very well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNHb9O52WQ
Yup. Seems like Jalopnik just released an article pointing out the issue with Porsche brakes, which also linked to the same video.

Porsche: Please Stop Complaining About Squeaky Brakes

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-please-stop-complaining-about-squeaky-brakes-1822648682

In fact, if you guys read the comments below the article, you'll see that someone mentioned their brake issue with their RC-F.
Old 02-02-18, 02:34 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

I don't think I've seen this comment here. Look at the "disclaimer" on page TWO of he "Warranty and Services Guide":

The LC 500 features high-friction front and rear brake pads. These brake pads provide a higher coefficient of friction on the rotors for superior stopping performance and pedal feel. The brakes on this model are designed for high-performance driving. Depending on your driving habits, you may experience more aggressive wear of the brake pads and rotors. For information on proper maintenance of your brakes, refer to the “Maintenance” section of this booklet. For additional information on your brakes and their operation, refer to your Owner’s Manual.
The following users liked this post:
Zeitaku (02-03-18)
Old 02-02-18, 03:56 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
I don't think I've seen this comment here. Look at the "disclaimer" on page TWO of he "Warranty and Services Guide":
Nothing new. I suspect IS, RC and GS have the same disclamer.
Old 02-12-18, 10:52 PM
Adonael
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but this is hilarious! People actually so entitled, petty and insecure that they would dump a car or try to lawyer up just because of some brake noise? I'm in stitches! Are there any low-dust pads available yet? If there aren't, then what the hell did you expect them to do? What is it, exactly, that you thought the service techs could pull out their backsides for your little highness? I'm in the market and seriously considering an LC, while this issue is certainly an oversight on Lexus's part, and they should have provided an option by now, it doesn't deter me at all, there WILL be low-dust replacement pads at some point whether provided by Lexus or otherwise, I might even wait for it to happen before I order. I'm not shallow, I don't change cars frequently, this is a 10 year car for me, and I mean for me, not for 'appearances', on an otherwise astoundingly low issue vehicle compared to it's rivals to merely have an issue like this is a freaking blessing.

Edit: It looks like ABK Ashiya Brake do hand make low-dust pads for the LC (called Marvelous low-dust pads) in Japan by order, in 4 days too, so uh what's taking Lexus so long?

Last edited by Adonael; 02-14-18 at 03:26 AM. Reason: New info
The following 2 users liked this post by Adonael:
flowrider (02-13-18), VVTiBob (02-13-18)
Old 02-15-18, 08:25 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read the first post but Ive had my car for less then 48 hours and my brakes are already squeaking also. Im going to call up the dealership and have them take a look. I havent even put the car into sports / sports + mode yet hahah.
Old 02-15-18, 09:55 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

The one I test drove Tuesday with <100 miles had NO squeaking brake issues.
Old 02-15-18, 10:15 AM
walkedu
Driver

I'm going to the dealership this weekend for them to inspect the car. But before I made the appointment the service advisor gave me the whole "the squeaking is normal even Mclarens and supercars do the same." I wanted to say "I wasnt aware i had carbon ceramics..."

Weird thing is though, I had the same squeak in my RC and after the brake pads were changed it was 100% gone.

Oh well, better safe than sorry plus now I have an excuse to bring it in so they can remove that annoying reverse chiming.
Old 02-15-18, 10:58 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by walkedu
I'm going to the dealership this weekend for them to inspect the car. But before I made the appointment the service advisor gave me the whole "the squeaking is normal even Mclarens and supercars do the same." I wanted to say "I wasnt aware i had carbon ceramics..."

Weird thing is though, I had the same squeak in my RC and after the brake pads were changed it was 100% gone.

Oh well, better safe than sorry plus now I have an excuse to bring it in so they can remove that annoying reverse chiming.
Can you actually go to the dealership and ask the service department to remove that reverse chime? Are they allowed to do it - or is it an option, you as the customer, are allowed to request the service department to remove?
Old 02-15-18, 11:00 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My biggest gripe about this whole situation is simple, LEXUS should advise clients while they are sitting in the financial offices before signing the paperwork, that this car can / might have brake issues. There are plenty reports of customers with LC 500's, reporting the same issues. Yes, high performance vehicles do have these same issues, but this isn't really a high performance car. Its a GT, its a heavy coupe, that quite frankly is an amazing vehicle. But unfortunately the brakes can be terrible. I know that I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle, if I was told there could be these issues. I am happy that I got rid of my LC 500, even tho I do miss the beautiful design. The whole point of my initial post, was to bring awareness, and warn those future clients what they are getting themselves into. I highly doubt anyone will want to pay $1400+ a month for a car that starts giving brake noise issues only after 1500 miles. I have seen some people claim it started doing it earlier. It only got worse the more I drove it, and the more lexus tried fixing it. My LC 500 had 7400 miles when I traded it in.
Old 02-15-18, 11:21 AM
walkedu
Driver

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Can you actually go to the dealership and ask the service department to remove that reverse chime? Are they allowed to do it - or is it an option, you as the customer, are allowed to request the service department to remove?
Yup sure can, it can be switched to a single chime instead of the repeated one. Also I want them to change my left and right blinkers to 5 instead of the default 3, had them do this in my RC.

Here is a list of everything they can change.

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...navigation.pdf

Quick Reply: Brakes