LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Old 12-29-17, 01:48 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Your Atomic Silver LC

Originally Posted by TimboIS
LOL. Exactly as I predicted, since they did the same for IS and GS.
TimboIS, I noticed that you have an LC in Atomic Silver. How do you like the color? Do you find it's appealing? Did you specifically order your LC in that color? Reason I'm asking, is because I'm considering an LC that has that exterior color (not my primary choice, but it's a good price), and TBH, I'm not convinced on it - it's like a brownish silver? Your feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-29-17, 02:16 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
TimboIS, I noticed that you have an LC in Atomic Silver. How do you like the color? Do you find it's appealing? Did you specifically order your LC in that color? Reason I'm asking, is because I'm considering an LC that has that exterior color (not my primary choice, but it's a good price), and TBH, I'm not convinced on it - it's like a brownish silver? Your feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
I specificaly ordered it that color. Go with what YOU want, not to save a few $, you’ll regret it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TimboIS:
AirForce8 (11-14-20), BigMau (01-04-18)
Old 01-16-18, 02:32 PM
bernieschr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a new LC 500 a few weeks ago for spring delivery. The sales contract had a spot for remarks and typed in there was " high performance brakes will make a loud squeal which is normal".
If their sales contract says that it may be because they have had issues. I also have a 911 which has 45,000 miles on it with no squeals
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (01-16-18)
Old 01-16-18, 03:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by bernieschr
I purchased a new LC 500 a few weeks ago for spring delivery. The sales contract had a spot for remarks and typed in there was " high performance brakes will make a loud squeal which is normal".
If their sales contract says that it may be because they have had issues. I also have a 911 which has 45,000 miles on it with no squeals
You should have crossed that section out before signing.
fauxphotog (01-16-18)
Old 01-16-18, 10:34 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bernieschr

I would have walked if they tried to weasel that crap into a sales contract. I have a 911 Turbo S and have never heard of such a thing. My LC is prettier than my 911, but slower (obviously) yet still doesn't have squealing breaks. If others exhibit that trait, folks need to lawyer up. Don't take the b.s.
fauxphotog (01-16-18)
Old 01-17-18, 04:24 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't own a high performance car, but the only time I've heard of noisy brakes being "normal" is with carbon disks. and yes the fix supposedly is to bed them with a few high speed stops. It's just a bit odd that Lexus is using this as an excuse on their steel disk brakes.
Old 01-17-18, 05:13 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan55
I don't own a high performance car, but the only time I've heard of noisy brakes being "normal" is with carbon disks. and yes the fix supposedly is to bed them with a few high speed stops. It's just a bit odd that Lexus is using this as an excuse on their steel disk brakes.
I seriously doubt this is an official “Lexus Corp” proviso, rather a dealer issue. Boarderline as bad as new Tesla warranty that excludes “squeaks and rattles”.
Old 01-30-18, 10:02 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm new to the LC 500 forum and am wondering how common this brake squeal deal is. Is it affecting 50% of owners? 25%? 75%? Anyone do a survey?

I had a '99 MB GLK320 and the message board for that was all agog with people complaining about squealing brakes. I only experienced it a few times and it seemed to occur more frequently when I was in line at a drive-up window.

It's rather discouraging to read all these comments and about the guys who actually "got out" of their LC 500s because it was so bad. I had just about made up my mind to get one instead of an SL550 but now I'm having second thoughts.
Old 01-31-18, 08:34 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
I'm new to the LC 500 forum and am wondering how common this brake squeal deal is. Is it affecting 50% of owners? 25%? 75%? Anyone do a survey?

I had a '99 MB GLK320 and the message board for that was all agog with people complaining about squealing brakes. I only experienced it a few times and it seemed to occur more frequently when I was in line at a drive-up window.

It's rather discouraging to read all these comments and about the guys who actually "got out" of their LC 500s because it was so bad. I had just about made up my mind to get one instead of an SL550 but now I'm having second thoughts.
I am in the same boat - in the process of taking over someone else's lease. And even though I already knew about the brake issues before I even started the lease transfer process, I was already pretty much set on the vehicle.

I would honestly love to know that statistic, but BobBass, realistically, I'm not so sure how we'd be able to get a realistic number out of that - even with a survey done. I guess the survey would be generally representative of the total number of owners.

I know that even at the dealership where I service my RX350, they admitted that it's been a complaint amongst owners, and they were giving me the same story as everyone else - it's normal for high performance brakes. B#llsh$^ ! I think someone else posted a welcome letter they received after purchasing their LC500. Can be found here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...literally.html

Seems Lexus North America is also aware of the issue, and hopefully can come out with a TSB or solution to this (similar to what they did with the ISF, GSF and RCF).
Old 01-31-18, 10:17 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't let it discourage you from buying an LC500 it's the best car I have owned so far and I have had Ferrari, Porsche, Skyline, GT-R, muscle cars, etc. I have some brake squeal from time to time too but that can be knocked out by just doing a few hard stops once the pads are warmed up. Also most of us with these LC500 have under 5,000 miles. Everyone is still breaking the mechanical parts in. I notice squeal more the day after after washing the car though, especially if I had parked the car right after washing it and it sat overnight. It's a very minor and frivolous noise and is not there all the time. I think the OP is really making a big deal out of nothing. If you or anyone has ever owned a high performance car before and have tracked it you will become all too familiar with real break noise LOL.

Get the SL550 if you want but you will be a dime a dozen wherever you are with no exclusivity of ownership and be in the shop around 40K miles with the infamous Benzo repair bills. The LC500 is essentially a Toyota and you know what that means? = RELIABILITY. No other car on the road looks like the LC500 either it breaks necks everywhere I go. I passed on a McLaren 570S and bought the LC500 instead after reading and hearing all the horror stories of so many brand new McLaren's breaking down, needing to be towed or having a host of the "English Gremlins" (electrical issues) and being in the repair shops more than they were on the road. I had just sold my 2012 Black Edition GT-R in May of 2017 that ran mid 10's and spanked a few 911's on a road course to upgrade to the McLaren 570S but after reading the reviews and then test driving the LC500 I bought it the same day I test drove it. The LC500's interior is superior to even most exotics that are well into the $250K+ range. Having an N/A car where I live in Arizona also means I can drive it in the summer while all the turbo cars sit parked in the garages as the heat becomes an issue when boosting those crazy numbers. The LC500 is not a 10 second or even an 11 second car. It does not do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds either. it's a legitimate Grand Tourer that has a soul and makes you feel connected as you drive. Lexus keeping it old school with it's N/A 5.0L V8 although underpowered compared to all the forced inducted competitors out there, still outshines the competition with it's many other comfort features. Remember a car isn't just about straight line acceleration, performance numbers or some ridiculous lap time at Nurburgring.

You want to go fast and beat everything on the street buy a GT-R and spend an extra $30K and you will have an 800whp fire breathing dragon that will rape nearly anything. You want luxury with current exclusivity? Amenities, style, class and elegance with enough power to still put a smile on your face with the comfort of reliability? Then the LC500 is your winning horse hands down.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zeitaku:
AirForce8 (11-14-20), guanche2k9 (01-31-18), uchujin (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 10:20 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

See this thread, I've recommended bedding in the brakes for some time on this forum. AFAIK, only one LC500 owner has done this, member VicAndRay:

It worked for him.

Lou
JONPRON (02-17-19)
Old 01-31-18, 11:20 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
Don't let it discourage you from buying an LC500 it's the best car I have owned so far and I have had Ferrari, Porsche, Skyline, GT-R, muscle cars, etc. I have some brake squeal from time to time too but that can be knocked out by just doing a few hard stops once the pads are warmed up. Also most of us with these LC500 have under 5,000 miles. Everyone is still breaking the mechanical parts in. I notice squeal more the day after after washing the car though, especially if I had parked the car right after washing it and it sat overnight. It's a very minor and frivolous noise and is not there all the time. I think the OP is really making a big deal out of nothing. If you or anyone has ever owned a high performance car before and have tracked it you will become all too familiar with real break noise LOL.

Get the SL550 if you want but you will be a dime a dozen wherever you are with no exclusivity of ownership and be in the shop around 40K miles with the infamous Benzo repair bills. The LC500 is essentially a Toyota and you know what that means? = RELIABILITY. No other car on the road looks like the LC500 either it breaks necks everywhere I go. I passed on a McLaren 570S and bought the LC500 instead after reading and hearing all the horror stories of so many brand new McLaren's breaking down, needing to be towed or having a host of the "English Gremlins" (electrical issues) and being in the repair shops more than they were on the road. I had just sold my 2012 Black Edition GT-R in May of 2017 that ran mid 10's and spanked a few 911's on a road course to upgrade to the McLaren 570S but after reading the reviews and then test driving the LC500 I bought it the same day I test drove it. The LC500's interior is superior to even most exotics that are well into the $250K+ range. Having an N/A car where I live in Arizona also means I can drive it in the summer while all the turbo cars sit parked in the garages as the heat becomes an issue when boosting those crazy numbers. The LC500 is not a 10 second or even an 11 second car. It does not do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds either. it's a legitimate Grand Tourer that has a soul and makes you feel connected as you drive. Lexus keeping it old school with it's N/A 5.0L V8 although underpowered compared to all the forced inducted competitors out there, still outshines the competition with it's many other comfort features. Remember a car isn't just about straight line acceleration, performance numbers or some ridiculous lap time at Nurburgring.

You want to go fast and beat everything on the street buy a GT-R and spend an extra $30K and you will have an 800whp fire breathing dragon that will rape nearly anything. You want luxury with current exclusivity? Amenities, style, class and elegance with enough power to still put a smile on your face with the comfort of reliability? Then the LC500 is your winning horse hands down.
^^^ This. Well-stated Zeitaku!
Zeitaku (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 11:24 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by flowrider
See this thread, I've recommended bedding in the brakes for some time on this forum. AFAIK, only one LC500 owner has done this, member VicAndRay:

It worked for him.

Lou
LOL, purely temporary fix, not to mention just leads to premature wear.
Old 01-31-18, 11:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^And that's the reason that all Hi-Po Brake Pad Manufacturers recommend it

Actually this is a MUST DO, to insure the best brake performance. It transfers pad material to the rotor.

Here are just two examples:

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/how-to-bed-in-brake-pads

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-31-18 at 12:14 PM.
guanche2k9 (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 05:42 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

(Sorry if anyone thinks I am hijacking this post. It IS based on the squealing brake issue.)

WOW! Thanks for the quick and informative responses. I had forgotten how cordial and helpful the members of “ClubLexus” are. After trading in my ’08 RX400h on a ’15 BMW X3 in Dec. ’14, I had pretty much stopped checking in.

On Monday I went to the Philly Auto Show with the express purpose of checking out the MB SL550 (and any other luxo-sport coupes) even though I’ve been researching it for months and had test-driven an SL450. Imagine my surprise to see that all they had was a USED UNDETAILED SL450 up on a pedestal which you couldn’t even sit in it!

However, when you looked left at the Lexus display, what grabbed EVERYONE’s attention who gazed in that direction was a Drop-Dead Gorgeous Infrared LC500, a vehicle that I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW EXISTED! To tell you the truth, I have dismissed Lexus and Toyota since they have embraced the “spindle grill” front end design. I didn’t like it when Audi went with the huge grill, either. Maybe I’m just rationalizing, but the “spindle grill’ seems to “work” nicely on the LC 500.

I had already decided to drop by my Lexus dealer today to check out the Nightfall Mica LC 550 in their showroom and after reading this extensive post on brake problems, wanted to ask a service rep about it. I found one I recognized from my 400h days. He said that they’ve sold four LC 550s to older guys who don’t drive them a lot or aggressively (which would also describe ME) and he hasn’t heard anything about brakes from those owners. He did say over the years there have been problems with some IS and GS models.

Of course, what did I EXPECT him to say? Since I’m just now starting to consider an LC, before actually putting a deposit on one I will ask him again and what would happen if I start running into brake squealing problems. (Which of course, would be meaningless if “squeal came to squeak.”)

Regarding the LC vs. SL, they way I see it, the SL550:
1. VERY outdated dash which won’t be revised until the next gen
2. No HUD
3. MORE $
4. My wife and I am not a “vert people,” so the only advantage with that would be to show off the really cool retractable hardtop to my friends

The way I see the LC 500 (not having driven one, yet):
1. POS: Distinctive styling interior and exterior
2. POS: Awesome engine SOUND
3. NEG: Smaller trunk and waste of space rear seats
4. NEG: Goofball non-intuitive touch-pad interface for the screen controller

This wouldn’t happen until April when the weather breaks around here. The LC 500 would replace my ’09 Corvette Coupe which does not see the road if there’s any wet weather or salt. Until then, I will continue to LURK on this board and glean more knowledge. ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes