LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 09:48 AM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LC 500 update

Last month I discussed the plethora of issues my LC has been plagued by and I wish I could tell you that Lexus has resolved all of the problems. I hired a lawyer and he sent out a demand letter almost a month ago. My car has been in the shop 4 times and all I have been told is...everything is “normal,” or “we can’t replicate the problem.” This has been incredibly frustrating because in my opinion, the car isn’t safe to drive. In the meantime, I’ve decided it would be best to rent a car. I just cannot believe Lexus hasn’t offered to buy it back, or fix the problems. Anyone else having a similar experience?
The following users liked this post:
fauxphotog (12-02-17)
Old 11-21-17, 10:57 AM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Lexus ever fix the problem?

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
Thanks fellas! Gonna try to take it back in for service next week, when I get a chance. See if they can come up with a solution for me. Rather embarrassing pulling up somewhere, with the brakes squeaking like that :-(
Old 11-21-17, 11:26 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

What he said...The ECM is logging...Everything what the ABS module is doing...The TIS will have those PIDs

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Then the light goes off? That does sound dangerous. That is a safety issue that the dealer must acknowledge and fix. Has anyone taken a reading through the OBD port?

Lou
Old 11-21-17, 05:46 PM
RichKeagy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by R6chick77
Last month I discussed the plethora of issues my LC has been plagued by and I wish I could tell you that Lexus has resolved all of the problems. I hired a lawyer and he sent out a demand letter almost a month ago. My car has been in the shop 4 times and all I have been told is...everything is “normal,” or “we can’t replicate the problem.” This has been incredibly frustrating because in my opinion, the car isn’t safe to drive. In the meantime, I’ve decided it would be best to rent a car. I just cannot believe Lexus hasn’t offered to buy it back, or fix the problems. Anyone else having a similar experience?
No such problems. 'Plethora' of issues? Not my experience. I just love driving it.
fauxphotog (12-02-17)
Old 11-22-17, 08:52 AM
Jedijurist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive the basic question, but did you give the brakes a proper break in period? Only time I’ve ever had such issues is when I’ve not allowed the rotors and pads adequate time to break in.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-17, 11:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^That question was asked in Post #51 and never answered.

Lou
Old 11-26-17, 12:10 PM
Nabeelkhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks--I am new to the forum. My LC 500 has the same exact problem as the "thread starter". The brakes sqeak almost everytime I brake. The vehicle has 1800 miles. I took it in to the dealer. They clearly heard the noise and I was told that the audio file has been sent to the Lexes engineers. In short they returned my car after five days and told me that the noise is normal for these high end brakes???? So I do not know what to do---It is embrassing as hell....If you cannot see my car, you can definately hear it. The sqeaking only comes about as the vehicle comes to a dead stop. Would love some suggestions. Thanks
fauxphotog (12-02-17)
Old 11-27-17, 12:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

havent heard any squealing on ours. The brake by wire system is a bit annoying with there being a slight lag in the operation of the pedal. It also likes to let go of the brakes slowly so it kinda groans when your trying to slow/start smoothly
Old 12-02-17, 11:51 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bye Bye LC 500

Officially getting rid of the LC 500, after multiple attempts (6x) to try to get the brake squealing fixed, numerous attempts at resolving something with the GM, and also speaking to Lexus directly. They were unable to fix or find a resolution to my situation. The brake squealing is unacceptable, and the responses I got were beyond ridiculous. I hired a Lemon Law attorney, but due to the brakes technically working properly, they also could not do anything either. So therefore, just have to count this one as a loss on the board. Hopefully in the coming weeks, I shall be trading it in for an 2018 R8 V10+ or a 17 McLaren 570S. Anyone considering an LC 500 please be aware that this issue isn't new, as I have several friends who have RC-F's and GS-F's who have been complaining about the same issues, and the problem is that Lexus has yet to address these issues in a positive manner. Its like all the service techs are trained to say "youre driving the car too hard". It has to be the dumbest answer I have ever received when regarding service issues. This aint my first GT car, sports car or luxury car, the noise is NOT NORMAL. If you want to drive up to any sort of venue, with people talking more about the noise your brakes are making, rather than the looks of the car, buy this car. If not, stay away. The car is beautiful, it drives amazing, sounds great, interior is A++, exterior gets a lot of great reaction, BUT.. The brakes sadly are ****.. Good luck to all my LC brothers!
Old 12-02-17, 11:55 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

They will not do anything about it, ive been dealing with it since i've had around 1800 miles.. Their response will simply be go kick rocks.. Count your losses right now, trade it while your miles are still low. I unfortunately kept driving it, and now have 6k miles, and the buy back on the car is ONLY 80K- 85K.
Old 12-02-17, 01:01 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Sucks for you. My Bentley tech has same issues with customer drag braking up to stops. These are heavy cars, gotta be firm on the brakes. Good luck with a McLaren, you’ll be begging that sqeaky brakes are your only problem
Old 12-03-17, 05:55 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree with Timbo - brakes will be the least of your worries with an R8 or a McLaren. I personally have no brake issues at all with my LC, so I gotta believe there's some credence with the process of bedding the rotors. I did nothing unusual during my first 1000 miles - just drove it and used the brakes normally. If it were me, and I was looking at eating such a financial loss, I would consider replacing the rotors and pads first. It would be less of a financial loss if the results were positive. However, If I was going to go that route, I would go with something like a Brembo setup. I've posted this link before... They're expensive, but likely much less than your trade-in depreciation, and probably a noticeable upgrade over stock:

https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...?vehicle=10489

Last edited by uchujin; 12-03-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 09:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uchujin
I would consider replacing the rotors and pads first. It would be less of a financial loss.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Anyone getting rid of an LC500 due to brake squealing is, IMHO just plain silly. I've asked before, did you bed in the brakes properly? Really have not got any good answers to that question. A rotor replacement is not needed, but maybe new pads. On my ISF I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and Project Mu +800C pads in back. These are dual purpose pads designed for the track and street. Very strong performance, less dust than stock, and no noise.

The Brembo calipers that come with all Lexus "F" vehicles are, IMHO, the best in the business. Changing the pads will make a world of difference. We have some excellent brake experts that are sponsors on this forum. The best, IMHO is:

http://speedfreaksusa.com

Rather than complaining about the Lexus service department who certainly are not brake experts and from what I can tell have given out very poor advice and counsel, why no contact SpeedFreaks or Figs, who posted earlier in the thread and was put down for his efforts, and just see what they have to say?
Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-03-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 12:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
Anyone considering an LC 500 please be aware that this issue isn't new, as I have several friends who have RC-F's and GS-F's who have been complaining about the same issues, and the problem is that Lexus has yet to address these issues in a positive manner.
That's just not true. Lexus has a LSB that will let owners of RCFs and GSFs who are not happy with the stock aggressive pad compound, and they complain about the noise, get replacement less aggressive pads. See these two threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-oem-pads.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ds-squeak.html

Some owners are not happy with the replacement pads.

I linked these threads in earlier posts, but you seem to ignore them. You'd rather complain and then seek out a solution. Hope your happy with your new purchase, whatever it is.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-03-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 12:01 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Anyone getting rid of an LC500 due to brake squealing is, IMHO just plain silly. I've asked before, did you bed in the brakes properly? Really have not got any good answers to that question. A rotor replacement is not needed, but maybe new pads. On my ISF I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and Project Mu +800C pads in back. These are dual purpose pads designed for the track and street. Very strong performance, less dust than stock, and no noise.

The Brembo calipers that come with all Lexus "F" vehicles are, IMHO, the best in the business. Changing the pads will make a world of difference. We have some excellent brake experts that are sponsors on this forum. The best, IMHO is:

http://speedfreaksusa.com

Rather than complaining about the Lexus service department who certainly are not brake experts and from what I can tell have given out very poor advice and counsel, why no contact SpeedFreaks or Figs, who posted earlier in the thread and was put down for his efforts, and just see what they have to say?
Lou

Why should I have to do ANY sort of work? Why is it that I need to go and change these pads, to accommodate Lexus? Are they paying me or am I paying them? At the end of the day, im a customer, if im not happy with the way the car is performing LEXUS should be able to fix these problems, and PAY for them. I shouldn't have to go out of my way, to fix something that should really be working properly. But everyone is different, I understand this. If you find this silly, then so be it. Im not here to impress you or anyone else. I am simply sharing my experience, and hope that anyone considering an LC 500, really takes these issues into consideration. I am not the only one on this forum with an LC 500 that is having brake issues. This isn't the most expensive car I own, or the highest performing vehicle I own, these issues aren't normal, and as a customer, LEXUS should be able to get something as stupid as brakes handled.

Quick Reply: Brakes