LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 03:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Gotta love when vendors sig-bomb threads with gratuitous replies.
Guess you haven't sorted through the site sponsors yet. Figs is one of the good guys

And the brake "issue" was common with some drivers of all the F cars (ISF, RCF, GSF) the "fix" if you want to call it that, was to put on less aggressive, lower dusting, and much less noisy pad. My solution on my ISF was more aggressive aftermarket (Ferodo & Project Mu) pads.

Most folks who go with the Less aggressive pad are unhappy with the choice, though some are happy.

Here's a recent thread from the GSF Forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ds-squeak.html

BTW, the dealer gave the OP bad information IMO.

Lou
Old 09-21-17, 12:01 PM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Took the LC 500 in....

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
I hope that you find a resolution, please keep us updated if something happens. Thanks for your feedback!! I think most Lexus Service Department suck. LOL both places I took the car to, were pretty horrible.
UPDATE: Lexus had my car for a week and determined that the squeaking while annoying is safe. I have since contacted a lawyer and called 180025lexus.
Old 09-21-17, 03:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^So, you would rather pay legal fees than solve the "issue" yourself? There are a myriad of forum sponsors that specialize in brake components. My favorite is http://speedfreaksusa.com.
If you want lower performance pads that are quiet I'm sure they could give you good advice.

But, for me, I'm far more interested in performance than noise or dust. The LC500 is a performance vehicle after all, and performance vehicles are not luxury vehicles and they do come with some compromises.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
bobraynard (09-22-17), FlyTvr (08-04-22)
Old 09-21-17, 09:28 PM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, send a tech to see how you drive it??? Are you speed racer incognito?

The fact that Lexus would send someone out to check driving patterns in lieu of addressing what seems to be a fairly obvious problem could even be more comical than offensive. This should not be happening no matter how you drive the car if a proper system was on the car. I change cars super frequently, drive a lot of different cars on the tracks and have never seen such issues. Should not happen except on lower end cars using cheap or underspeced systems.
Right! I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees something wrong with their approach. Definitely not an incognito speed racer lol. Maybe a wanna be.
I took it in again to a different dealership in San Diego and they wouldn’t even touch the car. They simply said “we would do the same thing that El Cajon did so you’re wasting your time. This just happens with higher end cars. It even happened to Mercedes.” That’s verbatim.
Quite frankly, it’s insulting. I have spoken with an attorney but he told me Ca Lemon Law doesn’t come into play unless the problem poses a safety hazard. Frustrating to say the very least.
Old 09-22-17, 11:46 AM
BenLexus78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery just over one month ago. From the very beginning I've had brake issues. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like an old bus or train trying to come to a stop. It is VERY loud, irritating and embarrassing! My dealership took the car in for a few days, dismantled the brakes, put grease all over them and then put it all back together again. The sound was actually worse after I picked up the car. At this point I don't even want to drive the car. It is a safety issue and I don't want to put my life at risk. Lexus should be ashamed to put out such an awful vehicle. I want nothing to do with this LC 500. If I had known that I would experience all of these issues then I never would have wasted all this money. The dealership and Lexus Canada just dismiss me and say that the metal on metal screeching is completely normal and that there is nothing they can do. They just don't want to admit that there is serious problem. They have no clue how to fix the issue so they close their eyes and pretend everything is ok. The callipers make so much metallic clicking noises as well. It is a completely flawed system. The car is garbage and should be bought back by the dealership/Lexus corporate. I do not drive hard at all. I drive in ECO MODE and do not stomp on the brakes. THIS IS THE WORST CAR EVER! If you are reading this and are considering getting an LC 500 then STOP! DO NOT DO IT! You will be very unhappy!
Old 09-22-17, 12:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Beside the noise, what safety and life threatening issues are you experiencing? BTW, have any of you tried to bed in the brakes? Has the dealer even suggested it?

Lou
The following users liked this post:
FlyTvr (08-04-22)
Old 09-22-17, 06:43 PM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

I totally feel your pain and am sorry you’re also experiencing this. I took my car to another dealership today because for the 3rd time, the vehicles braking system light came on when I wasn’t applying the brakes, no vehicles were around to provoke it, no obstacles in sight. So, in answer to Lou’s question...seems pretty life threatening to me.
This car, while aesthetically pleasing, is a buyers nightmare and mechanics fantasy. I will let you know what the outcome is. Oh, and as a loaner Lexus provided me with a Nissan Sentra. I laughed when they gave me the keys because while it’s not the sexiest ride, at least I won’t have to hear the screeching brakes or deal with the possibility of being in a electronic induced wreck. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Old 09-24-17, 05:47 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Beside the noise, what safety and life threatening issues are you experiencing? BTW, have any of you tried to bed in the brakes? Has the dealer even suggested it?

Lou
I thought they were complaining about glazing rotors which is different from just brake dust.
Old 09-24-17, 10:53 AM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DougHII
I thought they were complaining about glazing rotors which is different from just brake dust.
You’re confusing me with another LC owner. My vehicle is stopping when I’m not applying the brakes, and the brakes are squeaking when I do apply them.
Old 09-24-17, 10:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R6chick77
My vehicle is stopping when I’m not applying the brakes
That's new - Please Explain

Lou
Old 09-24-17, 11:16 AM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

As in, I’m driving down the road and the brake indicator light comes, the vehicle slows down, hasn’t come to a complete stop...yet. The “yet” is the part that terrifies me.
There have been no obstacles in the road, no other vehicles around me, no bridges, buildings etc. This has happened on open freeways and at different speeds.
Old 09-24-17, 02:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Then the light goes off? That does sound dangerous. That is a safety issue that the dealer must acknowledge and fix. Has anyone taken a reading through the OBD port?

Lou
Old 09-30-17, 02:09 PM
MPPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same break problem on my LC 500. It's more than just a squeak it's a squeal. I like people looking at my car but not because it squeals when I come to a stop. The noise is definitely coming from the front and it sounds like it is the right side. The noise is so bad I can hear it over the radio and the air conditioning. It does it about half the time but never when I take it to the dealer. I love the car however the brake noise is very irritating.
Old 09-30-17, 02:31 PM
R6chick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MPPA
I have the same break problem on my LC 500. It's more than just a squeak it's a squeal. I like people looking at my car but not because it squeals when I come to a stop. The noise is definitely coming from the front and it sounds like it is the right side. The noise is so bad I can hear it over the radio and the air conditioning. It does it about half the time but never when I take it to the dealer. I love the car however the brake noise is very irritating.
Yes, much better description-a squeal. Like a train coming to a stop. It’s beyond irritating. You should take it into the dealer and see what they say-if you haven’t already. I’m already speaking with an attorney about the problems this car has been having. Very unfortunate, because the car is gorgeous but Lexus needs to fix these problems. All the best to you. Keep us updated.
Old 10-01-17, 06:27 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by R6chick77
Yes, much better description-a squeal. Like a train coming to a stop. It’s beyond irritating. You should take it into the dealer and see what they say-if you haven’t already. I’m already speaking with an attorney about the problems this car has been having. Very unfortunate, because the car is gorgeous but Lexus needs to fix these problems. All the best to you. Keep us updated.
While I don't doubt the squealing is irritating and unbecoming of a $100K car, it's a bit funny to me that this is about all there is to gripe about on the brand-new LC. I've been looking at the Tesla Model S (I know, completely different car other than price, 0-60 time, and maybe futuristic looks), and the number of problems owners have is astounding compared to what Lexus owners experience. Cars seeing ghosts on the highway and jamming on the brakes (XC90 has this too), power steering failing in a turn and then coming back a few moments later, door handles not extending when you try to get in, leaky sunroofs, control panel (which controls everything) freezing, and parts taking weeks to arrive when something is broken or you get in an accident. Yes it's a new car company but the Model S has been out there 5 years now. Service issues will only get worse once the Model 3's hit the streets en mass.

Makes me appreciate the level of QC and service that Lexus has built.

Quick Reply: Brakes