LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 11:25 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had my car serviced last week and told my SA about the brakes. Apparently there is a service bulletin about them and now Im waiting for my brakes to come in to get replaced. He said they will resurface the rotors also. We will see if that helps with the noise.
Old 12-06-18, 12:16 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by walkedu
Just had my car serviced last week and told my SA about the brakes. Apparently there is a service bulletin about them and now Im waiting for my brakes to come in to get replaced. He said they will resurface the rotors also. We will see if that helps with the noise.
OMG, why would they resurface the rotors when the new pads rectify the issue?!?
The following 2 users liked this post by TimboIS:
RichKeagy (12-09-18), uchujin (12-06-18)
Old 12-06-18, 12:20 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by walkedu
I posted the "apparent" TSB in another thread back in July: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10266479

DO NOT take unnecessary meat off your rotors! The TSB replacement pads solve the noise and DUST issues. Read the other thread too.

Old 12-06-18, 12:22 PM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
OMG, why would they resurface the rotors when the new pads rectify the issue?!?
I honestly have no idea. First I thought i was getting new rotors and pads, then my SA said we are going to resurface the rotors and put new pads on there. From what he told me the new LC's that are being produced are coming with these pads instead of the ones we have.
Old 02-01-19, 01:27 PM
supermario
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pads and discs replaced all round

Sorry guys late to party here. I’m from the UK and had the same issues with my LC500 V8 Sport+ plus a few others which I’ll mention at the bottom.

my LC had squeaky brakes two types of noise I’m slowing down and you get the high pitched squeal you here on older cars or buses (this was at 1200 miles) and occasionally a loud screech when coming to a halt now the screech would occur normally when using adaptive cruise control and the car brakes to a halt and the high pitched squeal most time when stopping below 30mph. Long story short I had it in the garage three times they cleaned ten pads, shaved the pads cleaned the discs etc.

i got fed up and I have a good relationship with the garage bought a few cars so they contacted Lexus uk hq and they actually had the head mechanic come up and check the car out and changed pads and discs all round. Now whilst they had the car for a week I had a lc500 hybrid not the sport+ which incidentally is more comfortable as a cruiser anyway I noticed that had a little squeal occasionally but not much. Anyway got my car back issues seemed resolved every now and again would get a minor screech sound when coming to a halt lest say whilst parking but it was at a certain speed and pedal pressure on the brake but fine. Now I am fussy believe me. Fast forward 300 miles and the squeal and screech have come right back in the same situation! Squeal and screech back now I don’t do much mileage the car has 3012 miles on it and it’s a June 17 model. Pretty frustrated in addition to this I had the petrol flap stuck - now fixed and sat nav resetting itself maybe once a month - seems fixed with a software update (I hassled them for this a few months back but there has been an update) garage has told me the other three owners have not had issues with brakes but they don’t have sport+ and with respect the owners of the, cars are 50 years+ I was 39 when I got mine
Old 02-01-19, 01:33 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by supermario
Sorry guys late to party here. I’m from the UK and had the same issues with my LC500 V8 Sport+ plus a few others which I’ll mention at the bottom.

my LC had squeaky brakes two types of noise I’m slowing down and you get the high pitched squeal you here on older cars or buses (this was at 1200 miles) and occasionally a loud screech when coming to a halt now the screech would occur normally when using adaptive cruise control and the car brakes to a halt and the high pitched squeal most time when stopping below 30mph. Long story short I had it in the garage three times they cleaned ten pads, shaved the pads cleaned the discs etc.

i got fed up and I have a good relationship with the garage bought a few cars so they contacted Lexus uk hq and they actually had the head mechanic come up and check the car out and changed pads and discs all round. Now whilst they had the car for a week I had a lc500 hybrid not the sport+ which incidentally is more comfortable as a cruiser anyway I noticed that had a little squeal occasionally but not much. Anyway got my car back issues seemed resolved every now and again would get a minor screech sound when coming to a halt lest say whilst parking but it was at a certain speed and pedal pressure on the brake but fine. Now I am fussy believe me. Fast forward 300 miles and the squeal and screech have come right back in the same situation! Squeal and screech back now I don’t do much mileage the car has 3012 miles on it and it’s a June 17 model. Pretty frustrated in addition to this I had the petrol flap stuck - now fixed and sat nav resetting itself maybe once a month - seems fixed with a software update (I hassled them for this a few months back but there has been an update) garage has told me the other three owners have not had issues with brakes but they don’t have sport+ and with respect the owners of the, cars are 50 years+ I was 39 when I got mine
Why didn't you just have the dealership install the TSB alternative material pads like everyone else has done? It's free and they've been doing this for years on their other performance cars. If you're not familiar with it, search the forum - it's well documented. I haven't heard of anyone having any noise or dust issues with the TSB pads. Probably why Lexus is installing them on all the 2019 LCs.
Old 02-01-19, 01:56 PM
supermario
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was not an option I was given unfortunately I will speak to them again in June when it gets serviced but it was a lot of hassle and it’s not my main car. I know they did that for the RC but it was not something on offer for the LC.
Old 02-01-19, 03:48 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Maybe the TSB isn't available in the UK(?). As posted earlier in this thread, this is the TSB we have in the US:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10266479
Old 02-01-19, 04:04 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Lexus/Toyota HQ in Brussels is in charge of authorizing TSB's and software updates for all other European markets (incl. non-EU states) and frankly, it seems like they don't care. The only TSB that has come out for Europe so far is the one for the fuel pump. I've inquired about the brake pad TSB several times already and the dealership (I'm located in Switzerland) is telling me they're sorry but they can't do anything without Brussels initiating the process first. It's a bit of a let down to see how hard Lexus USA and Canada is working to appease their customers with TSB's in comparison.

Originally Posted by supermario
Long story short I had it in the garage three times they cleaned ten pads, shaved the pads cleaned the discs etc.
Same here, the noise was gone for a week tops before it reappeared again.

Last edited by Hoppean; 02-01-19 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 05:50 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Wow. That's insane. This is such a straightforward TBS. I guess because it's not safety-related it's not seen as a priority(?). That really sucks. There is however another option which will work for you, but it requires you buying the pads. At least one other forum member has purchased pads from Tom's with great results (I'm sure there are others out there too). You may also be able to purchase the Lexus TSB pads as well - if they won't authorize a free replacement. I have these pads and I'm very happy with them. The occasional noise didn't bother me as much as the excessive dust. The Lexus TSB pads eliminate both issues. There is no brake fade either. There is however a slight reduction in stopping effectiveness (not fade), but it's nothing that has concerned me at all. In my opinion, I would pay the price for the Tom's (or the Lexus TSB pads if you can get them). The price for pads is small compared to the aggravation associated with the noise and dust.
The following users liked this post:
Hoppean (02-02-19)
Old 02-02-19, 02:37 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
Lexus/Toyota HQ in Brussels is in charge of authorizing TSB's and software updates for all other European markets (incl. non-EU states) and frankly, it seems like they don't care. The only TSB that has come out for Europe so far is the one for the fuel pump. I've inquired about the brake pad TSB several times already and the dealership (I'm located in Switzerland) is telling me they're sorry but they can't do anything without Brussels initiating the process first. It's a bit of a let down to see how hard Lexus USA and Canada is working to appease their customers with TSB's in comparison.

Same here, the noise was gone for a week tops before it reappeared again.
i have the same problem here in the UK with squeaky brakes, I have just got the car back from the dealership, they have cleaned the pads, so we will see in the next few weeks is the noise returns, as stated above the UK don't seem to get any TSB's other than the fuel pump, however we did get a TSB for new pads to be fitted on the RC-F, which i owned for 18 months typically without getting any brake noise at all. In the past i have just sent them links to this site showing TSB's from the US, and so far they have corrected any fault i have had with all my Lexus cars without any fuss.
Old 02-02-19, 02:59 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
Wow. That's insane. This is such a straightforward TBS. I guess because it's not safety-related it's not seen as a priority(?). That really sucks. There is however another option which will work for you, but it requires you buying the pads. At least one other forum member has purchased pads from Tom's with great results (I'm sure there are others out there too). You may also be able to purchase the Lexus TSB pads as well - if they won't authorize a free replacement. I have these pads and I'm very happy with them. The occasional noise didn't bother me as much as the excessive dust. The Lexus TSB pads eliminate both issues. There is no brake fade either. There is however a slight reduction in stopping effectiveness (not fade), but it's nothing that has concerned me at all. In my opinion, I would pay the price for the Tom's (or the Lexus TSB pads if you can get them). The price for pads is small compared to the aggravation associated with the noise and dust.
Thank you for telling me about Tom’s, I will definitely look into this. Is there any place on the internet where I could order the official TSB pads except Ebay or should I try at the dealer’s?

One can only speculate about the reasons why there’s such a difference in customer service between the continents (the folks at the dealership are nice and all but in the end, they're bound to regulations). While there indeed are lots of absurd safety regulations in Europe, I don’t see how they would be a factor in this case. I’d hate to learn that we’re just too irrelevant for Lexus to care lmao.
My guess is that’s just the inefficiency of a centralized system in full display.

Originally Posted by Chris8152
In the past i have just sent them links to this site showing TSB's from the US, and so far they have corrected any fault i have had with all my Lexus cars without any fuss.
And doing the same for the LC yielded no results? I'll send an email to Lexus (both Brussels and Switzerland) including the TSB documents uchujin posted earlier in this thread. The more Euro customers do this, the more likely it's going to have an effect.

Last edited by Hoppean; 02-02-19 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-02-19, 05:48 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoppean
Is there any place on the internet where I could order the official TSB pads except Ebay or should I try at the dealer’s?.
I would think these are only available through Lexus. If you can't buy them in your country, it may be possible to purchase them through a US dealer, but not sure. Either way, Tom's and other aftermarket vendors remain viable alternatives for you.
Old 02-02-19, 06:15 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

As a FYI my car has built date 03/2018 and I've never experienced any brake noise (10,000km). I may still replace the pads because the brake dust is just as bad as my German vehicles (which I eventually replaced for low dust variants).

Last edited by SuperGT; 02-02-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-02-19, 07:00 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
This thread is still going on?

The Lexus Performance Driving School was an excellent opportunity to drive the LC500s on the track. The brakes took a beating, on 12 or so LC500s. The three I drove never delivered a peep of brake noise or fade. The RC F I turned in last year didn't squeak but a handful of times in three years. I opted not to replace the Brembos with the TSB offering as stopping power is a high priority with me. Being not even close to knowledgeable about brakes, one thing occurs to me. These are performance cars and have to be driven as such. Every time I drove the RC F and now the LS500 Sport, I brake fairly hard at least once from over 80 MPH up to 100 MPH. Have to brake hard to slow down to merge on the freeway and avoid the CHP. I wonder if this braking helps to minimize brake noise?

Quick Reply: Brakes