LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 05:41 PM
supdawg79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive mine quite a bit in M, so I just engine brake to save the pads from extended wear. Seems to be holding up pretty well at 2,9xx miles and 6 months.
Old 06-11-18, 08:59 PM
nnicot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
I concur with what LCInfrared states above. Mine is an April 2018 production with now just shy of 1,700 miles. No squealing or noise and I have used the HOLD function multiple times.Performance of the brakes is great!!

Brake dust is another issue - the wheels get noticeable dust with just a short drive, with our without heavy braking. It will be interesting to see what longevity I get out of the pads.

I put some ceramic coating on the rims and it seems to have helped the brake situation quite a bit. It accumulates less than before, and cleans up much more quickly with a quick wipe. Haven't been able to escape the screeching, though at 2600 miles it seems to be a bit better.
Old 10-02-18, 02:54 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi guys, just checking back with LC owners to see how they are dealing with the brake noise and dust. We will have a new pad available with the RB XT910 compound in 2 weeks and want to get a pulse on how many are still dealing with this issue. This compound we have already tested thoroughly on our other 380mm BBK kits and it is a great street pad that offers low dust and great modulation and bite. It is a good compromise for drivers that want to simplify the braking solution on the street. Please contact us via email or PM or post here with where you are at.

Thanks, Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-02-18, 04:46 PM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

After some initial brake noise most of it has gone away with frequent pressure washes and a few hard stops. As for the dust, this continues to be an issue, even to the point where the dust accumulates on the fenders and rear bumper as well. Some wax on the wheels has helped the cleaning process.
Old 10-03-18, 03:18 AM
MPPA
Driver School Candidate

Default LC 500 brakes

Brakes were replaced on my 2018 lc500 three weeks ago. Better braking and no squeaking.
Old 10-06-18, 12:10 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPPA
Brakes were replaced on my 2018 lc500 three weeks ago. Better braking and no squeaking.
Same. Reached a certain mileage on the car and the original brakes began squeaking like crazy. Sure, it would go away after a pressure wash or if I braked hard, but it would come back. Too much to deal with, I am so busy. Took it in, the service guy first tried to find some youtube video of a Porsche with squeaking brakes. Neither of my Porsches (one with carbon ceramics, one without) exhibited that problem. He finally checked and there was indeed a recommended fix: OEM pad replacement. I asked him if there was a TSB or recall # for the fix, he said No but they had the 'fix' notated because so many customers had inquired about it & requested it.

This was 6 weeks ago. No squeaks. Zero. Before a wash, after a wash, etc. Very, very little break dust compared to the originals. I notice no difference in braking power or stopping ability, but I don't track this car so perhaps I am not the best person to ask about that.
Old 10-06-18, 02:15 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

I posted this a couple of months ago on another thread. TSB was created in April and released in July...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10266479
Old 11-25-18, 01:54 PM
Calikor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fauxphotog
Hey guys new to the forum! I got my LC 500 about 1.5 Months ago, currently have about 1700 miles already driven. Absolutely love the car, the sound, the comfortability, quite frankly this car has the best seats I've ever sat in, for a car. The attention the car gets is crazy, people think its a concept running down the streets. As long as you don't consider this car more than just a GT Cruiser, you will not be disappointed. But I have one issue... THE BRAKES!! :-( They have been squeaking for the past week, so I took it to Valencia Lexus for service, to get it checked out.. I got the car back, and the following explanations were given to me.

- The brakes are "GLAZING"
- The rotors are turning "BLUE"
- Don't drive the car too "HARD"
- The brakes are fine
- The rotors look good

I tell my service guy there, I have had many cars in the past, performance, exotic, whatever may have you. Ive never heard of any of the excuses you just gave me, I don't understand what you mean by "GLAZING" or turning "BLUE" and isn't this car a sports car? I should be able to drive it hard, which in all honesty I don't. I drive the car in Sport + at all times and use the paddle shifts.. If I want to drive a comfort car ill use a diff vehicle.. I don't really twist and turn the car.. So I drive off, and nothing was changed, if anything it sounds worse now.. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this? Or have heard of any of these excuses in the past? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU!!!

Attachment 411128Attachment 411129
Same problem with brake squeak. My LC500 is one month old. Didn't notice the squeaking until the second week of ownership. Came to an intersection to stop and heard it. First thing I felt was anger. I'm driving a Lexus (an expensive one at that!). Why am I having brake issues with a certified pre-owned vehicle with less than 2,000 miles on it? After reading your complaint and seeing the term "glazing", I'm wondering if the previous owner just used the car for "tracking" before turning it back in? Or maybe the previous owner was a test driver who only used the vehicle for tracking. Long story short, I took the vehicle to the dealer and complained. The service rep (without even having the brakes examined) told me:

"The pads have a lot of metallic in them" I'm saying to myself, what does that have to do with anything? Then he tells me that they'll replace the pads for me (no charge since the vehicle is under warranty). But then he adds, Lexus is all out of brake pads for the LC500 at this time. They're on back order, and he doesn't know when they will be back in stock. That was the beginning of November 2018. So backorder means that no Lexus dealer in the whole United States has pads for the LC500. So I'm driving a 2018. It's almost 2019 and Lexus still has no brake pads at any of its dealerships? Something just doesn't smell right. I just feel the dealer is not being up front with me as to why my vehicle brakes are squeaking. Does anyone have an explanation that makes sense? I don't mind waiting for the damn pads. Just want some information I can use.
Old 11-25-18, 08:34 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Calikor
Same problem with brake squeak. My LC500 is one month old. Didn't notice the squeaking until the second week of ownership. Came to an intersection to stop and heard it. First thing I felt was anger. I'm driving a Lexus (an expensive one at that!). Why am I having brake issues with a certified pre-owned vehicle with less than 2,000 miles on it? After reading your complaint and seeing the term "glazing", I'm wondering if the previous owner just used the car for "tracking" before turning it back in? Or maybe the previous owner was a test driver who only used the vehicle for tracking. Long story short, I took the vehicle to the dealer and complained. The service rep (without even having the brakes examined) told me:

"The pads have a lot of metallic in them" I'm saying to myself, what does that have to do with anything? Then he tells me that they'll replace the pads for me (no charge since the vehicle is under warranty). But then he adds, Lexus is all out of brake pads for the LC500 at this time. They're on back order, and he doesn't know when they will be back in stock. That was the beginning of November 2018. So backorder means that no Lexus dealer in the whole United States has pads for the LC500. So I'm driving a 2018. It's almost 2019 and Lexus still has no brake pads at any of its dealerships? Something just doesn't smell right. I just feel the dealer is not being up front with me as to why my vehicle brakes are squeaking. Does anyone have an explanation that makes sense? I don't mind waiting for the damn pads. Just want some information I can use.
He was obviously lying. Why don't you try another dealer? I just got mine changed in late October. I did not hear anything about backordering. It took my dealer 2 days to order these pads tho.
Old 11-27-18, 12:52 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Ya, yust go to Speedy Brakes etc., and get them to look at it. Worst case costs you a few hundred $. Seems much easier than the hassle you're going through.
im also wondering about this person's experience and knowledge of cars. we have sold 12 LCS and not one complaint about this. Probably driver error and unrealistic expectations of a performance car.
The following users liked this post:
Zeitaku (11-27-18)
Old 11-27-18, 04:47 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
im also wondering about this person's experience and knowledge of cars. we have sold 12 LCS and not one complaint about this. Probably driver error and unrealistic expectations of a performance car.
Yep you nailed it! People who are buying these LC's are older people who are use to perhaps Lexus sedans and/or SUVS where they do not have performance rotors and pads and do not understand the proper break in procedure on high performance rotors and pads. I changed my stock pads to Tom's Performer pads and do not have any squeal at all and the dust is barely even noticeable now. Still have the stock rotors with 16,500 miles on them LOL.
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (11-29-18)
Old 11-29-18, 07:59 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

this is lexus's fault they should have offered the car standard with a low dust pad and have the option for free for the track pad
Old 11-29-18, 08:59 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
this is lexus's fault they should have offered the car standard with a low dust pad and have the option for free for the track pad
Lexus should have learned from previous occasions. IS, GS, LS all had same issue and those pads were ultimately replaced as well. Mine are being replaced at this very moment, along with the other TSBs.
Old 11-29-18, 01:36 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

This thread is still going on?
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeitaku:
flowrider (11-29-18), RysLC500 (07-19-22)
Old 12-04-18, 06:47 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This thread is full of humor.

Quick Reply: Brakes