Understeer ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 03:32 PM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Understeer ?

Hello LC owners,

There have been a number of reviews that mentioned that the LC has a decent amount of understeer. I was not able to push the car during my test drive so my question is. Has anyone experienced how bad the understeer is and how hard do you need to push the car to invoke it. I know that many of you are still in the break in period so you have not pushed your cars too hard. However, have you noticed the understeer when taking an off/on ramp hard or in other spirited driving?

I did not have a chance to test drive an LC with the active rear steering so Im not sure how much that may help or not.
Old 06-07-17, 05:58 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been test driving several vehicles (C63S coupe, Cayman 718S, M240I and the M4 (because they didn't have an M2) and the RC-F, this past month so I have a pretty good frame of reference. I have also done several HPDE's out at the Portland International Raceway.

If you want the short version: very little understeer and both models handle like smaller, lighter cars.

I test drove both the hybrid (touring package) and the V8 (with the sport package but no rear steer/torque vectoring) on some twisties that I wasn't familiar with. We went out in the hybrid right after the RC-F. I started a little slower but by the end, I was pushing it as hard as the RC-F. I thought that with the same amount of power, it would be able to keep up with the F. Front end and overall grip are outstanding. Transient response is also outstanding. I took out the V8 a couple days later and was again very impressed.

The most surprising aspect to me and the real magic was how nice the ride was even in sport +. The other cars simply stiffen the dampers and you can feel all the bumps and jitters when you're pushing it. The LC's stayed flat and stiff as well but there was no compromise/harshness. (The M4 also did a good job at isolating but that isolation also makes it lose all feel.)

Last edited by al503; 06-07-17 at 09:14 PM.