LC Model (2018-present)

Cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 11:10 AM
mehagar
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning questions

I recently got a 2020 LC coupe with the performance package. I was planning on having a professional do paint correction followed by a ceramic coating, but I noticed that the manual (https://assets.sia.toyota.com/public...f/OM11537U.pdf , page 280) says to not do any kind of coating on the carbon fiber equipped models. I'm assuming that what it really meant is to not apply coating to the carbon fiber materials itself - does anyone know? Also, has anyone PPF'd their car? Was looking at doing that at first, but it's really expensive and it seems like just ceramic coating might be enough.

In the interior, the radio and media buttons in the center console are very sticky and are hard to depress. I'm guessing the previous owner spilled liquid on them, but not sure. I tried spraying some WD-40 electrical contact cleaner on them, but it didn't seem to do much. Has anyone had this issue?

Any other cleaning tips specific to the LC that I should know about?
Old 04-17-24, 11:16 AM
snowsenses
Driver

Received 156 Likes on 42 Posts

PPF is more important than ceramic imo, it actually protects against rock chips whereas ceramic is mainly about making the car easier to clean & glossier. I have PPF on my front bumper, whole hood, inner CF door sills, and a bit behind the rear wheels, then I DIY'd ceramic on the rest. Including on my CF roof, which hasn't caused any problems in a year.

Last edited by snowsenses; 04-17-24 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ConnorDamewood (04-18-24)
Old 04-17-24, 12:31 PM
zissis
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Ceramic coating blocks UV damage and makes the surface hydrophobic (makes water run off easily). It does not prevent chips. PPF prevents chips but does NOT block UV damage or provide hydrophobic properties. For best results do PPF AND ceramic coating above the PPF. If you don't ceramic coat over PPF your PPF will turn slightly yellow over time. It will be evident on a white car but not so much on a non white car. I am getting my white bespoke build this week and plan to do a full mat PPF with ceramic coating on the whole vehicle including the wheels and carbon bits.

Last edited by zissis; 04-17-24 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ConnorDamewood (04-18-24)
Old 04-17-24, 02:37 PM
mehagar
3rd Gear

Actually, mine might already have gotten a PPF on it. I see what looks like a very thin clear sticker whose edges I can see along the edges of panels. If that's the case, I'm assuming that it was put on the car when it was first bought 5 years ago (I have no way of confirming this of course). If it is a PPF film that was applied 5 years ago, do you think I should remove it and put a new one? I'm not sure how long these things last.
Old 04-17-24, 03:24 PM
snowsenses
Driver

Received 156 Likes on 42 Posts

If you don't notice any discoloration or damage/peeling to the PPF, definitely leave it on
Old 04-18-24, 12:45 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts

Mehagar I had the LC ceramic coated after the ppf was applied in certain areas. great combination and the coat included the carbon fiber, no issues. Great product for cleaning car, Reset soap wash then follow up spritz the Reload spritz/spray by Carpro with out a ceramic coat. Great gloss will give u an idea of what the ceramic coat will look like if u get it done. Been using this product for years! They make it also for boats and works just as well!
Old 04-18-24, 01:25 PM
ConnorDamewood
2nd gear

PPF is a film applied to the car and ceramic coat is a liquid coating to protect the paint from UV damage. I've seen people PPF the front of the car and ceramic coat the spaces left unprotected, but a rock won't be stopped by ceramic coat.
For protection, when I worked at a dealership, PPF on the entire front bumper, hood, and quarter panels was rare sight, but those few buyers who opted for it were always the ones whose vehicles showed up for maintenance looking the newest/in the best shape.
I'd prioritize the PPF first and supplement that with ceramic coat if it were my personal vehicle and money wasn't a huge issue.
The LC is beautiful, protect that thing!

I can't speak on the CF pieces and what ceramic would do/not do to them, but for the interior pieces/buttons that are sticking/stuck, if you can get a detail brush in there small enough without removing trim to clean, go for it with some all purpose cleaner or some isopropyl alcohol (dries/evaporates quickly) if its near any pricy electronics like screens, then come behind with a microfiber or lint free terrycloth/towel. Cleaned plenty of soda out of cars detailing them and a set of trim removal tools is invaluable and cheap for any car owner, I'd recommend some of those too if you need to get behind a piece of dash or center console trim.

Congrats on the LC!