IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas tank range?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 04:11 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas tank range?

I have a 350 F-sport RWD. Gauge says I have 65 miles left in the tank and my avg is 21.1 miles. With a 17.5 gallon tank that should give me 369 miles. I have 265 on this tank so far. Guessing they leave you about 1 1/2 gallons of reserve to find a gas station? It is probably in the manual just haven't read through the whole thing yet.
Old 11-04-13, 07:53 AM
redcupr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran mine down to the bottom of the gauge the other day. Filled up and it only took 15.4 gallons, so there's about 2 gallons left at the bottom of the gauge.

Funny thing was, after filling up the gauge read empty for a few blocks then started climbing. Kind of odd seeing the gauge go up when driving, I'm quite used to the opposite.
Old 11-04-13, 08:12 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by redcupr
I ran mine down to the bottom of the gauge the other day. Filled up and it only took 15.4 gallons, so there's about 2 gallons left at the bottom of the gauge. Funny thing was, after filling up the gauge read empty for a few blocks then started climbing. Kind of odd seeing the gauge go up when driving, I'm quite used to the opposite.
Very good to know, thanks. Looks like I'll be getting a max of 300ish miles between fillups at 20 mpg.
Old 11-04-13, 08:56 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Will fill up tomorrow see how much gas I need. Might bring a 1 gallon gas can in the trunk to run it out next time to see what kind of range it has.
Old 11-04-13, 05:57 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the fuel pump located in the IS tanks? If it's located inside the tank, a minimal level of fuel may be needed for cooling purposes; otherwise, you risk damaging the pump.
Old 11-05-13, 04:18 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is always hit or miss anyway until you get accurate data from a realiable testing source. Owner testing such as this is so unscientific. Something as simple as stopping the fill when the pump clicks, as opposed to sticking an extra 1/4-1/2 gallon in the tank will make a difference. I for one would be worried about two things, running out at an unopportune time, and the damage I could be doing to my car like hoosier1 mentioned. Not that we are really out running around testing how long before we are out of fuel!
Old 11-05-13, 04:29 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

If there was danger to damaging the electronic fuel pump by running the tank low it would be in the manual. I am sure the earlier models with electronic pumps this happened. I did this in my old Camry and never had any issues I knew how much mileage I could get out of my tank until I truly needed gas. Just trying to find out the range of this time and was wondering if anyone who has owned the car already had a general idea how accurate the range left after it counted down to zero.
Old 11-05-13, 06:53 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i just fill my car up when the light comes on and not worry about it!

only 2 times in my life have i ever run out of gas.
the first time i was towing a camper trailer across montana on a sunday. planned to stop for gas at a station i found on GPS. unfortunately they went out of business!
i got back on the highway and slowed my speeds down to about 55 mph, i managed to find a slow truck and drafted that semi truck for about 20 miles. to the next gas station.
my truck ran out of gas as i was exiting the highway!
i managed to coast up the ramp and blew a stop sign as i made a right turn (there was no traffic) and managed to coast down the road and right up to the pump! it was EPIC i must say!
fortunately the nissan in front of me was just finishing and had enough momentum to make it to the pump.

the second time i did not run out of gas, but i was hyper mile-ing in our new Acura TL on our way to vegas. we past green river and the dist to empty said we were good for another 140 miles. the sign at the end of green river said no services for another 90 miles, but conveniently enough the sign places after the very last exit! no place to turn around on the highway either!
Gee thanks for the heads up! wonder who put that sign up, you know a warning before you pass the last gas station would really be a great advertisement for the last gas station before you head across a mountain range with no services!
anyway back to the story..
so what i did not realize is we had a host of mountains to go over and my MPG was now dropping pretty quickly
after the Dist to empty started reading 0 we got pretty worried, it was 1:00 in the MORNING and no cell service!
i started putting the car in neutral and coasting down and using only enough throttle to maintain 45 mph over the hills.
we made it to the gas station and while i filled up my wife read the owners manual. we had exactly .5 gal remaining on that tank!
had i not driven as efficient as the way i did we never would have made it!
but i now know you can get 360 miles out of a tank!

so now i just fill up when it gets close to 1/4 a tank. why do you need to know how far you can go once the dist to empty reads 0? consider that amount totally empty and you'll never have a problem.
Old 11-05-13, 01:23 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

I've been 33 city miles past the 0 range left. It's funny how I bought a $50k car and will drive out of my way to save 10 cents a gallon on gas lol
Old 11-05-13, 01:34 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

It all depends on the brand some have 1 gallon left after your range says 0 miles left. Some have 2 to 3 gallons. It's fine if its 1 gallon but when you get to 2 and 3 gallons that is a bit much. 33 miles looks like there might be a 2 gallon reserve once the light comes on.

Thx for all the input.
Old 11-05-13, 02:37 PM
redraptor
Driver

So today for the first time i drove beyond 0 miles for about 6 more miles and filled up to the first click on the pump. I put in 15.55 gallons after driving 388 miles (25mpg). So I am assuming there is about 2 gallons left in reserve.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 11-05-13, 03:29 PM
WWM
Rookie

I drove about 10-15km after the gas light came on and when I filled up I only put in about 55L before it was full. That means I initially had around 11L left, which is like 80-100km of range. They really do make it hard to run out.
Old 11-06-13, 04:00 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Filled up today with 10 miles left according to the gauge. Took 15.4 gallons. Two gallon reserve looks to be accurate. So should be able to do 40 to 50 miles after the range says zero miles left.
Old 11-06-13, 05:04 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

425 miles per tank so far!
Old 11-06-13, 05:15 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jennypenny
425 miles per tank so far!
Dang! 350 or 250?