IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Close up ultra white shots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 07:44 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Close up ultra white shots?

Anyone got any close up pictures of the ULTRA WHITE? It says the paint is metallic but all the ones near me are black!! Would really like to see the flake pop or something.
Old 07-13-13, 07:59 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
Anyone got any close up pictures of the ULTRA WHITE? It says the paint is metallic but all the ones near me are black!! Would really like to see the flake pop or something.
Yes it's metallic, if you look close it almost has that sparkle or something like if you were to add diamond dust to white paint, that's the close up look of it. Hard to see on a photo
Old 07-13-13, 08:02 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know, it is not a metallic but rather a glass flake. I have yet to see it up close and personal as well but have one ordered. My dealer has never sold any model F-Sport in Ultra White so they are curious as well.
Old 07-13-13, 08:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Yes it's metallic, if you look close it almost has that sparkle or something like if you were to add diamond dust to white paint, that's the close up look of it. Hard to see on a photo
hmmm really? I thought Starfire Pearl was the metallic one while Ultra White was "shiny flat white" - a "pure" white and super shiny clear coat on it, much like Obsidian is (vs Stargazer Black which has the metallic flakes like SFP).

Would be nice to get a close-up shot from anyone

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-13-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 08:33 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

They are both stated as metallic in the brochure. Its definitely got some kind of flake in it because it shows up slightly differently in different pictures.
Old 07-13-13, 08:50 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Yes it's metallic with sparkle flakes.
Old 07-13-13, 12:01 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

I see yours is ultra white. Any chance you could get a nice sparkly close up?
Old 07-13-13, 12:55 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
As far as I know, it is not a metallic but rather a glass flake. I have yet to see it up close and personal as well but have one ordered. My dealer has never sold any model F-Sport in Ultra White so they are curious as well.
Glass flake is a good term to describe it. In fact, Lexus Japan calls this color White Nova Glass Flake.
Old 07-13-13, 01:01 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

hmmm really? I thought Starfire Pearl was the metallic one while Ultra White was "shiny flat white" - a "pure" white a super shiny clear coat on it, much like Obsidian is (vs Stargazer Black which has the metallic flakes like SFP).

Would be nice to get a close-up shot from anyone
It is definitely not a solid white. But at a normal distance, it appears solid. Only if you put your nose to the paint, (I did this in the dealership when not many people were around. LOL), then you find discover the details.
Old 07-13-13, 04:19 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
I see yours is ultra white. Any chance you could get a nice sparkly close up?
Here you go.

I'm kind of regretting Ultra White. It's so hard to maintain and I just found out there are some stains on wheel well from dealer tire dressing. It looks permanently baked into clear coat. I used clay bar and scratch x it's not removing it. Sucks!

Old 07-13-13, 04:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
Odd, not even a '13 LS F-Sport?
Old 07-13-13, 04:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

dojoman

Nice closeups that show the flakes. I learned something new today!

It's unfortunate about the stains. I'd suggest you start a new thread on this as this may be a common problem and perhaps something Lexus should be aware of.
Old 07-13-13, 05:27 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
dojoman

Nice closeups that show the flakes. I learned something new today!

It's unfortunate about the stains. I'd suggest you start a new thread on this as this may be a common problem and perhaps something Lexus should be aware of.
I noticed also that my Ultra White stains easily! I had some purple bird poop on the roof for maybe a day out in the sun and I had it washed today and it left a purple stain that won't come out.. It's very small but still..
Old 07-13-13, 05:56 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default argh...

Originally Posted by gocubs08
I noticed also that my Ultra White stains easily! I had some purple bird poop on the roof for maybe a day out in the sun and I had it washed today and it left a purple stain that won't come out.. It's very small but still..
I had a similar issue with i'm assuming was a bug splattered on my front bumper below the grill. A similiar stain existed on the driver fender. The fender stain came out with water. I had to use liquid wax and a wax sponge on the plastic bumper....its not TOTALLY gone but ill take it to the dealership so they can take care of it.

My mothers CT has "rust" stains near the wheel well on her starfire pearl less than a week off the lot and they took care of it. =)

take it to the dealer asap so they have less time to blame it on "road conditions" =)

Good luck peeps...
Old 07-13-13, 06:21 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Here you go.

I'm kind of regretting Ultra White. It's so hard to maintain and I just found out there are some stains on wheel well from dealer tire dressing. It looks permanently baked into clear coat. I used clay bar and scratch x it's not removing it. Sucks!

Try to wash the stains away with a product called iron-x. Can be bought from ebay.
Really strong stuff..

Quick Reply: Close up ultra white shots?