Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 06:11 AM
LexFather

Smile Review: Lexus IS 350 - Small sedan is big on luxury

http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/au...S-0411.article

Lexus IS 350 - Small sedan is big on luxury
April 11, 2011
BY JOHN STEIN - To Drive Editor

Lexus launched the IS 350 sedan in 2005 with the crosshairs set directly on the BMW 3 Series. Six years later there has not been a significant defection from that BMW small sedan, but Lexus has carved out its own place where the IS 350 stands, rightfully, on its own.

The IS 350 is definitely a Lexus, which is to say it is luxurious and well built with comfort and convenience top of the mind for virtually everything one encounters in the cabin. While there are some nice sporty cues on the exterior and a reasonably enthusiastic response under the hood, the IS 350 digs it heels in as a solid entry-level luxury sedan.

Interestingly, as Lexus has settled into its self-imposed territory, upstarts like the Acura TL SH-AWD, an impressive luxury performer with all-wheel drive, have tried to work their way into Lexus’ piece of the pie. Lexus was wise to offer an AWD option this year to ensure an apples-to-apples comparison.

2011 LEXUS IS 350

ENGINE: 306-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6
TRANSMISSION: six-speed automatic
DRIVETRAIN: all-wheel drive
FUEL ECONOMY: 18 city/25 highway
BASE PRICE: $41,030
AS TESTED: $47,265
Interestingly, as Lexus has settled into its self-imposed territory, upstarts like the Acura TL SH-AWD, an impressive luxury performer with all-wheel drive, have tried to work their way into Lexus’ piece of the pie. Lexus was wise to offer an AWD option this year to ensure an apples-to-apples comparison.

As long as the IS 350 does not offer a manual transmission, something Lexus seems to believe its target client really doesn’t demand, it cannot be considered a real sport performer with the likes of BMW or Audi. Lexus appears to be just fine with that.

Exterior styling is unmistakably Lexus;
there is nothing middle of the road in any aspect of the looks on the IS 350. From the beautiful 17-inch 10-spoke aluminum alloy rims to the bold LED-outlined strip below the headlights to the roofline leaping back toward the trunk, the IS 350 looks gorgeous and stands out in a crowd.

My IS 350 tester had a base price of $41,030, which makes it one of the best luxury values (if you can call anything at $40,000-plus a value anymore) in this class. Inside the cabin you get everything Lexus is known for — and a bit more.

Keeping in mind the small sedan class is not about backseat comfort, this IS 350 does manage to eke out as much legroom as possible. While cramped for an adult, it is quite cozy for the younger ones.

Leather is a signature element for Lexus and the IS350 is no exception. Ten-way power adjustments for both front seats deliver perfect posture for any length ride while power tilt allows the driver a customized position and dual-zone climate creates a comfortable space for everyone.

Visibility is good and safety measures for the IS 350 are abundant. Lexus’ new Enform telematics service lets drivers preselect destinations on their home computers, then send them to the car. Enform also includes the usual concierge services through an operator.

Of special note in my IS 350 tester was the Mark Levinson audio system, which is part of the navigation and audio premium package ($3,905). This system provides audiophile-quality sound rooted in the 300-watt amp and the 14-speaker system integrated flawlessly into the flowing cabin.

I found the on-screen tech interface to be more than adequate for most of the operations I tried throughout my test period, but I was not a fan of the large, gray buttons needed to input the key information on tasks.

The real kudos for the IS 350 need to go to the engine, a 3.5-liter V-6 using an innovative fuel delivery system combining direct injection and port injection. The result is 306 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 277 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm.

Impressive is that this is what competitors tend to get with a 3.7-liter V-6. The engine is paired with a steady-performing six-speed automatic transmission that has a sport mode and manual gear selection.

With the new all-wheel-drive system, Environmental Protection Agency fuel economy is 18 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. The IS 350 pushed me to be a bit heavy footed when faced with open pavement. The V-6 provides nice acceleration and plenty of confidence to pass anyone who happens to be in the way.

The AWD, which comes from the IS 250, delivers tremendous traction on the pavement when inclement weather might offer challenges to getting about. The system, which is set for 70 percent torque on the rear wheels and 30 percent on the front, is capable of a flat balance of torque at a 50/50 split.

Overall, the IS 350 is an outstanding luxury sedan for those looking to get into the segment. While cabin space is tight, it is luxurious and comfortable inside with a bevy of technology and convenience options. The final price for my tester landed at $47,265, after more than $5,000 in options and $875 on delivery.
Old 04-14-11, 07:17 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brief but decent review. I'm confused though, since I've now seen this comparison here and a few other places: since when is the Acura TL an IS competitor? Wouldn't it be the TSX? The TL is definitely more of a 5-Series match.

This doesn't have to do necessarily with the review itself, but I'm surprised at the size of the MPG drop resulting from the AWD. Is that due more to weight of the added AWD components, the fact that you're driving two axles, something else or a combination? Just curious. The RWD IS350 is rated at 20/27 (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/30608.shtml), the same rating as my 2007 IS350, but I can easily get more than 27 on the highway.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-14-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-14-11, 07:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Brief but decent review. I'm confused though, since I've now seen this comparison here and a few other places: since when is the Acura TL an IS competitor?
Pretty much since it came out.

That's why most of the car mags had some kinda shootout back in 06/07 that was essentially:

Acura TL vs. IS350 vs. Infiniti G35 vs. BMW 3-series

I've heard less of this for the current-gen TL, possibly because it was so hideously ugly.

This doesn't have to do necessarily with the review itself, but I'm surprised at the size of the MPG drop resulting from the AWD. Is that due more to weight of the added AWD components, the fact that you're driving two axles, something else or a combination?

It's both. More weight to move, and more drivetrain loss from driving an AWD system.

AWD kinda sucks in most applications used on paved roads in cars with less than 400-500 hp, but great marketing continues to convince people they need it.
Old 04-14-11, 07:48 AM
viper522
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered the TSX and TL before I purchased the IS. The TSX wasn't enough "it", and the TL was too much. The IS fit right in between, for me.
Old 04-14-11, 08:08 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz

That's why most of the car mags had some kinda shootout back in 06/07 that was essentially:

Acura TL vs. IS350 vs. Infiniti G35 vs. BMW 3-series

I've heard less of this for the current-gen TL, possibly because it was so hideously ugly.

It's both. More weight to move, and more drivetrain loss from driving an AWD system.

AWD kinda sucks in most applications used on paved roads in cars with less than 400-500 hp, but great marketing continues to convince people they need it.
Interesting. Thanks for both answers as usual.
Old 04-14-11, 08:55 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Brief but decent review. I'm confused though, since I've now seen this comparison here and a few other places: since when is the Acura TL an IS competitor? Wouldn't it be the TSX? The TL is definitely more of a 5-Series match.

This doesn't have to do necessarily with the review itself, but I'm surprised at the size of the MPG drop resulting from the AWD. Is that due more to weight of the added AWD components, the fact that you're driving two axles, something else or a combination? Just curious. The RWD IS350 is rated at 20/27 (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/30608.shtml), the same rating as my 2007 IS350, but I can easily get more than 27 on the highway.
TL is not 5-series level. You're thinking RL. TL costs less than IS350 but more ugly.
Old 04-14-11, 09:27 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by dojoman
TL is not 5-series level. You're thinking RL. TL costs less than IS350 but more ugly.
I was actually making that statement not based on price but based on size and demographic. The TSX is more comparable to the IS in terms of size and purchasing demographic. The 2010 TSX has 107.1 cubic feet of interior space compared to the IS250 with 98.7 cubic feet, so it's actually even larger than the IS. The TL has 111.3, the 5-Series 113.1. In addition, I feel I've found in my experience (others may differ) that more people cross-shop the IS and the TSX than the IS and the TL. The IS is Lexus' entry-level sedan, as the TSX is Acura's.

It's for these reasons I felt the TL was more appropriately compared to a 5-Series than an IS. Of course other peoples' comparison criteria are different.
Old 04-14-11, 09:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Problem with acuras sedan line-up is that their all roughly the same size, with their powertains and configurations making them somewhat different. But yes the old TL-type s was certainly an IS350 competitor
Old 04-14-11, 12:28 PM
machefai
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not trying to sound defensive here, but you did say "sucks". When you say, "most applications", you can only point to dry surfaces. AWD pretty much out performs in any other application. And I wouldn't go as far as saying it "sucks"! Sheesh, bold words Kurtz! .1 sec and a couple of mpg's is not that different and well worth the extra safety and convenience you get when conditions aren't so perfect.

I've owned several rwd's including MB's and SUV's and i'd be stuck without awd here in the dc area. You're not going anywhere if there's even a few inches on the ground, way too many stop and go situations! And that's just snow, we get some crappy ice too!

"Most applications" in my area can't be so generalized. Prob not so much of a concern for folks down south though, so I can see why you probably think that might be the case. We def have our seasons though and can see snow and/or ice anywhere from november through march!
Old 04-14-11, 01:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by machefai
Not trying to sound defensive here, but you did say "sucks". When you say, "most applications", you can only point to dry surfaces. AWD pretty much out performs in any other application. And I wouldn't go as far as saying it "sucks"! Sheesh, bold words Kurtz! .1 sec and a couple of mpg's is not that different and well worth the extra safety and convenience you get when conditions aren't so perfect.

I've owned several rwd's including MB's and SUV's and i'd be stuck without awd here in the dc area. You're not going anywhere if there's even a few inches on the ground, way too many stop and go situations! And that's just snow, we get some crappy ice too!
You might wanna look into better tires.

I learned to drive in significantly worse winters than you much further north... I also spent a winter in the DC area (Alexandria specifically...and was in a 1973 Chevy Monte Carlo at the time- RWD, V8, and no fancy modern traction control... again, NO problems driving around in snow with good SNOW tires on the car) and I've lived in Canada as well.... and never had a problem with RWD and good snow tires.

It's folks who refuse to put proper tires on the car and want to cheap-out running all-seasons that seem to have problems.

Also having no problem with RWD? the majority of all drivers in history since AWD is a relatively new deal on cars historically. For most of the last century people, again plenty with far worse winters than you, got along fine with RWD and proper tires.

Really, the whole "OMG! there's an inch of snow! I need AWD!" is a pile of marketing BS made worse by people who refuse to buy snow tires.

Seriously though, for most of the US, there's snow on the ground either never, or a minority of the year. For those folks AWD sucks because they're getting inferior mileage 100% of the time without any benefit for 80-90% of the time. And even then proper tires work just fine that 10-20% of the time it snows in the vast majority of areas.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-14-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 04:27 PM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Just to play Devil's Advocate, perhaps there are those who live in apartments or without storage or garages where they are unable to store a set of tire (and possibly wheels) during the unused seasons. That being said, I do agree that there are a lot of people who unwittingly believe that having AWD is the ticket to invincibility in the snow (as if other cars don't have brakes at all four wheels or front wheels that steer?).
Old 04-14-11, 04:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A rather brief and superficial review but that's okay. The AWD vs. RWD fuel economy hit seems a bit above average.
Old 04-14-11, 04:42 PM
machefai
Driver

Oh Kurtz, now you're just being dramatic! No one ever said RWD's can't drive in the snow, of course they can! But if you're gonna say AWD "sucks" on dry surface, then I can say RWD "sucks" on any other surface. It's not right Kurtz, admit it man.

And granted, no, most folks don't have snow on the ground all year round, but what type of logic is that? We're not talking about driving a snow plow here! We had over 30" in just three days last winter, nothing to sneeze at! I'll take a few pennies at the pump over any possible accidents or being stranded with the kids any day!

Look, to each their own. My point is, let's try and keep the dramatic negative opinions of what you feel "sucks" to yourself. You turned a somewhat positive article into something bad. We all like out is's for one reason or another, but for folks like me(and many others), the additional safety and peace of mind that AWD brings over RWD is well worth some simple pocket change at the pump.

Tell ya what, can we at least agree that it's definitely better than having to shell out some cash to buy some big ugly snow tires and rims to put on your IS!
Old 04-14-11, 07:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Oh Kurtz, now you're just being dramatic! No one ever said RWD's can't drive in the snow, of course they can! But if you're gonna say AWD "sucks" on dry surface, then I can say RWD "sucks" on any other surface. It's not right Kurtz, admit it man.
It really is though. First, let's assume folks aren't off-roading in the IS... that seems reasonable in general.

For those where it doesn't or rarely snows AWD sucks 100% of the time because you're dragging around extra weight and getting inferior mileage the whole time for no gain.

For those where it DOES snow for 10-20% of the year in the north, they still get inferior mileage 100% of the time with AWD... and for that 10-20% of the year it snows AWD doesn't help you stop any better... literally all it does is give a small advantage in initial launch on slippery/snowy surfaces. (small advantage assuming proper tires).

Since we've established RWD gets around fine in the northern US, or even Canada, with good snow tires... you're essentially taking a hit to mileage 100% of the time in exchange for a small improvement in one aspect of driving for 10-20% of the time.

That, in a nutshell, sucks.

And granted, no, most folks don't have snow on the ground all year round, but what type of logic is that? We're not talking about driving a snow plow here! We had over 30" in just three days last winter, nothing to sneeze at! I'll take a few pennies at the pump over any possible accidents or being stranded with the kids any day!
Accidents from what?

AWD doesn't help you stop you know. In fact you're now having to stop a heavier car.

The only thing AWD really helps with is taking off from a stop in the snow.

Again, I've driven RWD vehicles in upstate NY, DC, and Canada... in both more and less than 30 inches of snow... and with good snow tires never had any issue.

We all like out is's for one reason or another, but for folks like me(and many others), the additional safety and peace of mind that AWD brings over RWD is well worth some simple pocket change at the pump.
But again, the "extra safety" is largely imaginary...put there by smart marketing folks at companies like Subaru.

If imaginary safety 10-20% of the year is worth inferior mileage and performance 100% of the year then best of luck to you.

But more about safety below-
Tell ya what, can we at least agree that it's definitely better than having to shell out some cash to buy some big ugly snow tires and rims to put on your IS!

No, we can't... that's completely wrong.

RWD with snow tires will be vastly better and safer than AWD with non-snow tires when driving in the snow.

All-season tires suck compared to snow tires in snow... and suck compared to summer tires in all other conditions. And yes I mean suck. Like 20-50% longer braking distances for example as well as inferior acceleration and handling. Some "safety" you've got there.

Tires make a much more significant improvement to safety than the drivetrain of the vehicle.

That's more marketing BS you appear to have been confused by.

(and the tires will be more than paid for by all the fuel you're not having to buy with the lower mileage of an AWD vehicle).

Seriously though, if real safety in snow is a concern of yours you'd have snow tires.

If imaginary safety is what you care about, AWD was a great choice instead!

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-14-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 10:02 PM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deep snow is deep snow. I had a rear wheel drive E92 with Blizzaks and no matter how good everyone thinks their driving skills are, you just can't plow through deep snow with rear wheel drive. You sink in, get stuck, try to rock out, dig in deeper and slide sideways more than you move forwards. Good neighboors are good to have

One of the reasons I sold the coupe and purchased the AWD IS 350 was so that I could actually make it into my court and into my garage for the winters. The first winter we moved in, I had to park outside my court accross the street and walk to my house. The snow was too deep and dense to even try...not to mention the deep ruts where people keep digging the ruts deeper and deeper as they drive in the same spots. Put some ice on this and its like you are on train tracks, almost impossible to get out of with RWD. We had so much snowfall this year that it was actually quite comical to watch out our windows to see every FWD, RWD car get stuck and have 2 or 3 neighbors pushing them out...can't get to work when the car in front of you is stuck so you kinda have no choice but to help push them out

In short, no matter how deep the snow got this year, my car slept in the garage every night. We typically see some snow starting in October...it's not uncommon to go trick or treating with a winter jacket over your costume and it lasts until March with the odd winter storm here or there. As I type this we just got hit with 15cm of snow...That means roughly 6 months out of the year we are on the white stuff. RWD is good with winter tires, but AWD with winter tires is even better. I don't think we can deny that.

Quick Reply: Review: Lexus IS 350 - Small sedan is big on luxury