IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 02:02 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't even see any imperfection? looks good, i have the silver trim and not wood so I was wondering this as well. is everyones headunit and climate control sides silver or is there woodgrain on those too? cause i noticed the kit only has where the shifter and cupholder is, not for the headunit section.
Old 12-22-09, 02:38 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks supais350! Looks good.

So, it looks like the kit is pretty close... Just don't know if we will be able to get it to drop in to the window control section.

We'll try.
Old 12-22-09, 07:21 PM
808IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks supaIS350...that does look good. Did you have to do any trimming around any of the openings?...thanks for posting the pic.

Jason...I think I actually wouldn't mind if it didn't drop down into the winow control area and the section around the mirror control...of course it would be ideal if it could. If it can't be done...would it be possible to develop a seperate pattern for the cars with the silver trim...and have it cut so that they fit precisely around the molded or indented areas?

Last edited by 808IS; 12-22-09 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 11:52 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright recieved the overlay "Dry Silver" today, took me and my friend a good 2 hours to do the installation.

love the color of the overlay, my interior is better looking than ever!!! however, for one of the button on driver's side( believe it was the button to disable windows or locks), the overlay was too small to fit, i had to do some cutting myself. also, some of the overlays do get a bit wrinkly( see 2nd picture above the auto button, small stuff like that). center trim does not have perfect fitment around the shifter, also very hard to make it fit perfect, now a bit of the left side of the wood trim is exposed...

but if you don't notice these small stuff, the overlay looks very awesome !!!!

i will post more pictures tomorrow

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update:

i didn't get it perfect, notice how you can still see my old wood trim

thats the button that didn't fit, (before cutting it, i had to force the overlay down and after pressing down the button it won't come up, so my friend cut a little for me)

some more pictures:

Loving the white/silver looking overlay !!!!

Last edited by someboy; 12-23-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 08:58 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 808IS
Thanks supaIS350...that does look good. Did you have to do any trimming around any of the openings?...thanks for posting the pic.
I didn't have to trim any of the openings. The cutout is pretty close where the window switches are. For the doorlock switches, I just wrapped it underneath the edges. Actually, I didn't even use the cutter that came with the kit.
Old 12-23-09, 09:42 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by someboy
alright recieved the overlay "Dry silver" today, took me and my friend a good 2 hours to do the installation.

love the color of the overlay, my interior is better looking than ever!!! however, for one of the button on driver's side( believe it was the button to disable windows or locks), the overlay was too small to fit, i had to do some cutting myself. also, some of the overlays do get a bit wrinkly( see 2nd picture above the auto button, small stuff like that). center trim does not have perfect fitment around the shifter, also very hard to make it fit perfect, now a bit of the left side of the wood trim is exposed...

but if you don't notice these small stuff, the overlay looks very awesome !!!!

i will post more pictures tomorrow

Someboy, the kit is designed to require a little trimming. That is why we include the knife. Also, the components should be removed from the back of the door trim.

Still without removing the components, it looks good!
Old 12-23-09, 09:44 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 808IS

Jason...I think I actually wouldn't mind if it didn't drop down into the winow control area and the section around the mirror control...of course it would be ideal if it could. If it can't be done...would it be possible to develop a seperate pattern for the cars with the silver trim...and have it cut so that they fit precisely around the molded or indented areas?
We're going to see what we can do. We have an IS coming in after the new year to let us work on the kit.

Originally Posted by supaIS350
I didn't have to trim any of the openings. The cutout is pretty close where the window switches are. For the doorlock switches, I just wrapped it underneath the edges. Actually, I didn't even use the cutter that came with the kit.
You can do that too. Nice touch!
Old 12-23-09, 09:59 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AeroTect
Someboy, the kit is designed to require a little trimming. That is why we include the knife. Also, the components should be removed from the back of the door trim.

Still without removing the components, it looks good!
very awesome kit !!! loving the look. hell i think this look better than the IS-F silver carbon fiber trim!!!!
Old 12-23-09, 10:03 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got mine off the ups truck like 10 mins ago, i get off at 230 and should have it done before 5, im also throwing something else into the mix
Old 12-23-09, 11:59 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

some more photos...
Attached Thumbnails Interior Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit-getattachment0.jpg   Interior Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit-getattachment1.jpg   Interior Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit-getattachment2.jpg   Interior Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit-getattachment4.jpg  
Old 12-23-09, 01:03 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ looks great. so thats the "dry" carbon fiber correct?
Old 12-23-09, 03:04 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

looks very good! dam wish mine look this great
Old 12-23-09, 11:57 PM
file82
Driver

I have the same setting as http://aerotect.net/catalog/images/I...r_Trim_Kit.jpg.
The Remove Cut Out's section confused me. I have heated seat, which option i should pick if i want all holes for heated seat and gear indicator?

"Do not Remove Cut outs," "Remove Seat Warmer Cut out," "Remove Gear indicator, shifter, and Seat warmer cut outs"

Last edited by file82; 12-24-09 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 09:36 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by file82
I have the same setting as http://aerotect.net/catalog/images/I...r_Trim_Kit.jpg.
The Remove Cut Out's section confused me. I have heated seat, which option i should pick if i want all holes for heated seat and gear indicator?

"Do not Remove Cut outs," "Remove Seat Warmer Cut out," "Remove Gear indicator, shifter, and Seat warmer cut outs"
"Do not Remove Cut outs"

Sorry for the delays... been away from the forum over the holiday weekend.
Old 01-16-10, 08:59 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

"Did your car come with Carbon Fiber?" - Lexus Service Advisor.

Ok, so perhaps Lexus Service Advisor's aren't the most knowledgeable on Lexus options? However, he did mention he really liked it, and I really like the Interior Carbon Fiber pre-cut Overlay Kit too.

I'm not a perfectionist, but I do have high standards. I feel like overlays have to be a very challenging market just due to small manufacturing differences in vehichles and overlays), but I think Aerotect has done a great job.

I feel the pre-cut door overlays are very close to perfection. I would give them a 9/10.

I feel the center console is good. I would give it a 7/10. There are a few areas I would improve. I would probably make the cutouts a little smaller so you could wrap more of the pattern around the holes. I also think the sides could be a little longer so it could also be wrapped around. There are already pictures in this thread covering this issue, but the small tiny areas could all be fixed with a simple "additional" bulk piece (in the interim).

Overall, I would give the kit a 8.5/10, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I should point out I haven't gotten anything but positive responses by the modification.

I also have a Neffy Wrap kit sitting here and I have to say that I like the texture and appearance of this overlay kit much better (of course that is purely a personal opinion).

I would also like to say thanks to Jason and Aerotect for sticking with me as a customer. I'm sure there were times my questions or concerns were annoying, but he was considerate, responsive, and respectful. I think businesses sometimes need to read the book "Raving Fans" as a guide to customer service (it was a book I had to read as a customer service manager for a Fortune 500 company years ago). Regardless, you can now consider me an Aerotect raving fan. I know I'll be looking at Aerotect for any future mods/supplies before anyone else.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Interior Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit