IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus REAR GFX Gaps Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 07:19 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Lexus REAR GFX Gaps Please Help.

I had the rear ground fx installed on my 07 IS250 yesterday. The place where I had it installed is known for their work with repairing Lexus models. I thought great, I'm stoked I had the front air dam installed there and all went well. Also, they have previously worked on my IS300 and again, all was perfect. They are even recommended by my local Lexus dealer.

Hmmm. So, I came back to pick up my ride and they installed it and told me that it didn't fit as perfectly as the front air dam did. They claimed that they did everything that they could to make it fit like a charm but it wasn't working. It was almost like the rear part was a tad too big. I don't know why. The part came from Sewell Online. Just like the front air dam so I know the part is legit and OEM. The gaps are on the left and right side corners. They aren't very big but they reflect off of the rear bumper and make the gaps look bigger than they really are.

Has anyone else ran into this issue or has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, were you able to fix it? I'm thinking of putting some black foam in between these small gaps just to hide it better. Any ideas and or suggestions?
Old 08-01-08, 07:22 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small gap on the right, but thats because i didnt cut the bumper. I want to install it correctly but been lazy :P
Old 08-01-08, 08:55 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

I have a tiny gap in my rear but you can't notice it unless you're standing above my bumper and looking down.
Old 08-01-08, 09:17 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with some gaps on the rear part of this. Honestly, it makes me feel better. I don't know why. Just glad to know I'm not the only one with the gaps. Hmm. This may read like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not joking. I'm serious.
Old 08-02-08, 04:09 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

humm....idk...my rear gfx is 100% flush. its a lexus part so there shouldnt be any gaps if it was installed right.
Old 08-02-08, 06:18 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason there is a gap is because the lip wasn't installed properly. When you screw on the lip, you have to even it out and center it.. I had the same situation and got really annoyed so i took it off again and took my time putting it back on.

Now its all good
Old 08-02-08, 08:33 AM
iceache925
Intermediate

Interesting.... I'm going to call this body shop back on Monday and see what they say. Did you purchase your rear from Sewell?
Old 08-02-08, 03:51 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

I totally agreed with the other posters. My self-installed rear gfx lip has no gap whatsoever. You should demand them to re-install it.
Old 08-02-08, 06:52 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NOVAGFC350
I totally agreed with the other posters. My self-installed rear gfx lip has no gap whatsoever. You should demand them to re-install it.
I was looking at it a little closer today. It seems like when they installed it the some how managed to install it a little lower than needed. When I push up on either side of the lip the gaps go away. I think they will have to take it off and then re-install it and perhaps take a little more time doing so.

I will contact them Monday as they are closed on the weekend. I'll reply with the status of this whole process. Thanks everyone for your input. I suspected it wasn't the part but the body shop. Odd, because they have never done me wrong before.
Old 08-04-08, 12:07 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

As promised – an update to my gap issue.

I contacted the body shop here and I explained the situation and that I spoke with others with the rear lip and all was well. The body shop owner was very cool about this and agreed that they probably rushed things a bit. It seems that they waited until the end of the day to work on my car thinking that it would be a simple and quick process. The owner of the shop is glad to help out with fixing the gap issue and stated that he is certain he knows where things went wrong. To sum it all up, I am taking my car back to the shop this coming Wednesday and they will re-install the rear lip and hopefully it will be gap free. It sounds like it will be fine this time. I’m happy with this. I just wish it was done the first time around. But, they are honest people and are fixing it. I love it.

Thank you all who replied. Your feedback was very helpful!
Old 08-04-08, 12:52 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

Glad to hear that they will re-do it. Not very many honest bodyshops out there these days.

As for my gap, I'm lazy so I'll let it be
Old 08-06-08, 11:11 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Installed - GAPLESS. Love it! Thanks again for the suggestions. This community rocks.
Old 08-08-08, 11:11 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

good to hear that Now you wont always be annoyed of knowing theres a little gap there..
Old 08-11-08, 10:44 AM
LEXLEE
Rookie

Originally Posted by iceache925
Installed - GAPLESS. Love it! Thanks again for the suggestions. This community rocks.
How much did you pay for the installation? Where is the shop located?
Old 08-11-08, 09:37 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LEXLEE
How much did you pay for the installation? Where is the shop located?
It was total of $160 in labor. The place is in Concord, CA and it's called Simply Superior. They are $84 an hour. It seems easy to install but I don't have the tools or trust in myself to install stuff like this. For me it was worth it. The local Lexus dealer was going to charge me like $400.00 an hour. That's just crazy talk there.

Quick Reply: Lexus REAR GFX Gaps Please Help.