IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lowering springs in the front only- who has done this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 10:09 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Lowering springs in the front only- who has done this?

I read a couple threads in the past where people were considering only doing lowering springs in the front, but later got convinced to do the rears as well. I'm interested in hearing from those that have been running springs only in the front for a period of time, and finding out your thoughts and impressions (pictures would be nice too).

I'm not totally convinced I'm going to do this yet, but I'm thinking about it. Part of me doesn't want to mess with the suspension at all. A larger part of me doesn't want to go with a full coilover setup, because for ME that'd be a waste of money. I don't plan on tracking the car or adjusting the coilovers, so I'm not really thinking I need KW V3s or even BC coils. I don't want to touch the rear right height at all because it is perfect, and I find the 09 suspension ride quality to be perfectly fine... this is all about cosmetically getting the front to match the rear. If it can't be done without spending $1200+ or royally screwing up my suspension geometry, I'll just stick with stock.
Old 03-11-13, 10:33 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you know my story....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-lights.html

Just didn't keep the front lowered by itself for very long. I'm currently running 275's with spacers in the rear and have plenty of room.
Old 03-11-13, 10:35 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only dropped in the front with Eibach springs. No complaints here. Perfect drop. Now, the front and rear gaps looks equal (about 2 fingers). Also, the ride is a bit softer in the front and performance wise, feels a little better as well.
Old 03-11-13, 11:07 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Well, you know my story....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-lights.html

Just didn't keep the front lowered by itself for very long. I'm currently running 275's with spacers in the rear and have plenty of room.
Yeah, you were the guy I was talking about in my first post, .
Old 03-11-13, 11:08 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
I'm only dropped in the front with Eibach springs. No complaints here. Perfect drop. Now, the front and rear gaps looks equal (about 2 fingers). Also, the ride is a bit softer in the front and performance wise, feels a little better as well.
Thanks. Any pictures of your setup? How long have you had it this way? Lastly, did you do the install yourself, or did you have a shop do it? I've had Eibach springs on two different cars in the past and have been satisfied... though I've always installed all 4 springs and not just the front two. I was leaning towards Swift springs for the ISF, but am still deciding if I'm going to do it at all.
Old 03-11-13, 11:15 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

vbb, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with just the Swifts or Eibachs up front. Shouldn't have any issues. I was happy with my Eibachs on my 335i, but just read too much good info on the Swifts and went with those. It also helped that my friend had them on his GT-R and spoke highly of them. I'd just put them on and run with it. If anything it might be better as you're only putting aftermarket parts on the front, so less to go wrong....right? : )
Old 03-11-13, 11:17 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

This is front lowered only on Swift's....all else being stock including tires.

Old 03-11-13, 11:32 AM
rc2o6
Driver

A friend helped me lower my fronts with Tein H-tech springs a few weekends ago. It took a little over an hour to complete.

Verdict: I feel it's a perfect height adjustment from stock. I go over lots of bumps/incline entrances on a daily basis and I have no issues. It's definitely a bit stiffer than stock, especially on poor/cracked roads (very abundant in Seattle) but it's completely doable. It rides just like stock if not smoother when on non-crappy roads. My girlfriend honestly doesn't notice a difference in stiffness as I've asked her on numerous occasions, so it is GF approved

Right after installation:
Name:  0F30D99F-20D6-4CE1-88B4-5A7D9D50CF17-11220-00000640950E267F_zps89131696.jpg
Views: 5906
Size:  57.8 KB

2 weeks after install:
Name:  A2652EAE-BDA7-41C8-9D22-F1F139B744CA-4798-000002CF0872FB0C_zps56bbbcd1.jpg
Views: 4894
Size:  45.7 KB

2 weeks after install at the office:
Name:  ABA73CB4-4B1A-4C7C-AEF4-3B841684E056-4798-000002CE7A45286C_zps55dcb639.jpg
Views: 4621
Size:  61.3 KB
Old 03-11-13, 11:33 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
vbb, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with just the Swifts or Eibachs up front. Shouldn't have any issues. I was happy with my Eibachs on my 335i, but just read too much good info on the Swifts and went with those. It also helped that my friend had them on his GT-R and spoke highly of them. I'd just put them on and run with it. If anything it might be better as you're only putting aftermarket parts on the front, so less to go wrong....right? : )
That was my thinking too. I've heard good things about Swift, but have had good experiences with Eibach. I figured I'd go with a brand that other ISFers have tried with success, so I've been thinking about just doing the swift fronts now that my front lip has been torn off and I have no plans to get another one. I was afraid to lower the front because of my lip, and now that's not a concern. I'm also trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible, while doing a few easily removable appearance mods to make it my own, so if I just do the front, that eliminates my fear that the rear will start to rub with my wheels and also give me less to "undo" in the event that I want to put the car totally back to stock.
Old 03-11-13, 11:35 AM
vbb

Thanks for the pictures guys. I think I've just found my next mod. RC2... that was the same front lip I had. Hope yours stays put! Don't valet the car!

Now if only there were a DIY suspension thread somewhere. Going to search...
Old 03-11-13, 11:43 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vbb
Thanks. Any pictures of your setup? How long have you had it this way? Lastly, did you do the install yourself, or did you have a shop do it? I've had Eibach springs on two different cars in the past and have been satisfied... though I've always installed all 4 springs and not just the front two. I was leaning towards Swift springs for the ISF, but am still deciding if I'm going to do it at all.
Here are some pictures: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7378218-post2.html

I had it this way for over 2 years and I had no problems at all. I had a professional mechanic install them. It only took about 30 min. As people mentioned, you can't go wrong with Eibach or Swift. I actually bought and installed the Eibach springs on before Swift came out with springs. If Swift was an option at the time, I would have probably gone with them up front only, But I love the dropped front only (rear is perfect the way it is) and am happy with it for over 2 years.
Old 03-11-13, 02:58 PM
JcISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbb
That was my thinking too. I've heard good things about Swift, but have had good experiences with Eibach. I figured I'd go with a brand that other ISFers have tried with success, so I've been thinking about just doing the swift fronts now that my front lip has been torn off and I have no plans to get another one. I was afraid to lower the front because of my lip, and now that's not a concern. I'm also trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible, while doing a few easily removable appearance mods to make it my own, so if I just do the front, that eliminates my fear that the rear will start to rub with my wheels and also give me less to "undo" in the event that I want to put the car totally back to stock.
You may have seen this (got a current thread going) already, but it fits what you're asking for. Car is lowered with Swift Springs in the front only. Wheels are 20'' and I have no rubbing in the front (very slight rubbing in the rears). I was told if I got something other than Michelin PSS tires, it would have no rubbing at all. The car has been lowered for about 3 months and I love it! Do it!

Old 03-11-13, 03:41 PM
ludedude
Driver School Candidate

Are you guys putting the springs on stock shocks or aftermarket?

Been thinking of doing springs but not sure if I should look into replacing my stock shocks (only 33k on them).
Old 03-11-13, 03:42 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

99% should be using stock shocks.
Old 03-11-13, 08:12 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I am stock shocks, ludedude. We have to do a meet next month so you can see and drive my car. To the OP, considering you have aftermarket wheels, your car would look great with the swift rears installed as well. The ride and performance of the springs are very similar to stock. If you have beefier tires, they would ride better which was my experience when I had 275/30. Now that I am on 295/25, the ride is really close to stock.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs in the front only- who has done this?