IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR Racing R&T Coilover noise

Old 07-05-19, 11:57 AM
Jordan345
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RR Racing R&T Coilover noise

I have had the R&T coilovers by rr racing and have installed and reinstalled according to torque specs, under tension as described as best practice. It is a nice piece of kit and looks quality. Rafi and the team have a good rep and i trust they are have engineered something terrific.

Coilovers are a straight forward install, yet I have lota of low speed noise which i could equate to sounding like soemthing is loose at each corner. I did not drop the suspension beyond factory (albeit the rear is 0.5 inches higher than the front) height.

I have taken all the coilovers off twice and inspected them, ensuring every nut or bolt was tight. I have used thread locker blue as adde precaution although nothing had loosened. The only item that i can fathom might make noise is the spinning washer ring that holds the top metal 'cap' that keeps the helper spring from moving up beyond the top of the shock body. It is meant to rotate and has some play but doubt it is capable of hearing in the car.

I only have 60k miles on the car. I have not changed bushings. I have installed the usrs, and admit i havent put it on a lift to actually confirm torque is at spec but using torque wrench w car on the ground got as close as i could. I doubt this is the problem since i hear at all four corners.

I am straight pipe w decatred primaries and no mufflers. I can hear this driving at slow speeds all the time over every little bump. It is not my first set of coilovers and cant believe this amount of noise should be here.

Any suggestions from the crowd of how and what this may be? I know you will hear more after coilovers but the ride is so firm and rough stock anyways i cant imagine not hearing an issue before.

I have asked rafi a couple times and although sympathetic, we couldnt really come up with anything. I did find a broken plastic spring cap on one side and sent them photos a couple weeks ago but no response. It separates the helper and captures the inside of the main spring and only half of the lower side was broken, so it seems to still do its job. This was found after first install and i took them off to inspect after i circled the block and couldnt stand the sound.

I want to make these work but it is unfathomable there should be this much noise.

My request to the crowd here is to post the interior noise of their r and t coilovers and if this is normal i will return to stock and find another option, then sell these. If i have done soemthing incorrect or missing something to check (knowing i need to hit the ursr to spec soon but dont beleive this to be the issue) i am open to correction and suggestion.

Thx
Old 07-05-19, 12:03 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

I havent taken to a shop as most are frankly useless, and cant be trusted to do quality work. Coilovers on this car and most other basic maintenance required is easier than most cars and should be embraced.

Perhaps i will prove to be the fool here but want to cover all bases.
Old 07-05-19, 12:53 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,361 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan345
I havent taken to a shop as most are frankly useless, and cant be trusted to do quality work. Coilovers on this car and most other basic maintenance required is easier than most cars and should be embraced.

Perhaps i will prove to be the fool here but want to cover all bases.

Send us your coilovers back, we will inspect them. Its equaly frustrating for me, because I know that everytime we install these on an ISF the noise is very minimal.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 07-05-19, 01:07 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

Let me video the noise from inside and post it so we can rule out that this is normal. My other option is driving down from toronto to your shop for the inspection/assessment as i want this to work.
Old 07-05-19, 03:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Did you set the bushings to a neutral position after installing the new dampers? Preload on the bushings can cause all kinds of issues with NVH.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-05-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 06:30 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I have had mine for about a year and a half. I think RR's original position (I'm too lazy to look through old forum posts) was that it is normal and a result of using metal tophats (?). Your description is spot on - sounds like something loose. My mechanic is very particular and rechecked everything and found nothing wrong. I have just lived with it and they perform just fine (great on the track actually).
Old 07-05-19, 06:33 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you set the bushings to a neutral position after installing the new dampers? Preload on the bushings can cause all kinds of issues with NVH.
Yes, everything was installed and left loose until the vehicle was wieghted and then tightened to factory torque specs.
Old 07-05-19, 06:35 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexicon72
I have had mine for about a year and a half. I think RR's original position (I'm too lazy to look through old forum posts) was that it is normal and a result of using metal tophats (?). Your description is spot on - sounds like something loose. My mechanic is very particular and rechecked everything and found nothing wrong. I have just lived with it and they perform just fine (great on the track actually).
Dont get me wrong, they seem to handle great. If it is an install issue or other issue elsewhere i will find it. If it is not, surely there is an engineering solution that solves this without a perceivable compromise in this regard.
Old 07-08-19, 06:38 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I had them and they did make a fair amount of noise, especially over depressions in the road. I sold my car with them and am pretty sure the new owner got rid of them - he also complained about the noise. They are beautiful, but unfortunately a bit too loud. I would have rather taken a slight hit in performance and had a silent suspension.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jz39:
Jordan345 (07-08-19), Jwconeil (07-09-19)
Old 07-09-19, 04:59 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

This is why i decided against these coils. I’d hate to add rattles to such a nice car.
Old 07-09-19, 10:30 AM
MLRSTJ
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had a set of RR R&T Coilovers on my ISF for over 1 year now with no issues at all and they preform Great.
Old 07-09-19, 10:12 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

all the issues you described is exactly what happened to mine, unfortunately i had to get rid of them and move on.
Old 07-10-19, 03:27 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Are the R&T that much noisier than the Penskes? I don’t hear people complaining about the Penskes nearly as much and don’t they share the same top Hats?
Old 07-10-19, 04:29 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Are the R&T that much noisier than the Penskes? I don’t hear people complaining about the Penskes nearly as much and don’t they share the same top Hats?
My Penskes were very noisy. Since no one complained about noise, I even took them off and sent them to Rafi to get checked out because I thought there was something wrong with them but they were fine. I eventually had to sell them.
Old 07-10-19, 05:05 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,361 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by MLRSTJ
I've had a set of RR R&T Coilovers on my ISF for over 1 year now with no issues at all and they preform Great.
That is the experience of most R&T coilover owners.

Originally Posted by Jz39
The Penske and R&T use the same top hats. Noise is the same.... that is... very minimal.

Originally Posted by jat0223
My Penskes were very noisy. Since no one complained about noise, I even took them off and sent them to Rafi to get checked out because I thought there was something wrong with them but they were fine. I eventually had to sell them.
As I recall, you don't track your car, but you drive in New York City streets... that's not what these coilovers are for. Regardless I wish you would have driven over to our shop so we could check them out.

Its amazing to me that every local install we do, the customer is satisfied and noise is extremely minimal. I wish I could pinpoint what is happening in cases where folks claim the noise is excessive.

In one case I told the customer to clear out everything from the trunk, including spare time, and noises went away. Due to the valving, looseness of anything in the car will make a noise much more so than with stock suspension.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RR Racing R&T Coilover noise