IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weird squeaking noise when going to reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 07:15 AM
b761125
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird squeaking noise when going to reverse

Hi everyone, I am here again to look for some answers to my problem from your experience.

When I switch my gear from drive to reverse, sometime I will hear a relatively loud squeaking noise (very similar to break squeak) for ~1 second (the time it takes for the gear to get into reverse). This doesn't happen all the time, and does not seem to correlate with when the car is hot or cold.
My break pads still have plenty of meat, but I don't know what is the brand of the pads as it was swapped by the previous owner. These pads does squeak a little when they are cold (I am in Canada so cold start is ~5C - 10C), after driving/ breaking a few times, the squeaking will stop.
Switching gear back from reverse to drive does not squeak. Switching the gear for the 2nd time from drive to reverse shortly after the first time does not squeak either.

The second symptom which may or may not help figuring out the reason for the squeaking noise. Every time when I park the car I will engage the feet activated handbrake. After it is engaged, I will remove my right feet from the brake and the car will always very slightly move forward. I am not sure if this is normal or maybe there is something wrong with my transmission.

Hope everyone can help.
Old 05-29-19, 01:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Sounds like you have a poorly adjusted parking brake. It's pretty common even from the factory. Mine would not hold the car on anything but dead flat surfaces when I got it, but it's not too hard to fix. The squeak is probably the parking brake shoes retracting when you reverse, but if you want to be sure the parking brake is holding properly, hold the brakes, then set the parking brake. The car should not move AT ALL if you do this sequence. If it does move, your parking brakes need to be adjusted for sure. I use my p brake all the time to help my gearbox last longer. Resting the full weight of the car on the parking pawls in the transmission isn't the best idea.
The following users liked this post:
Rickna (10-21-23)
Old 05-29-19, 03:23 PM
b761125
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like you have a poorly adjusted parking brake. It's pretty common even from the factory. Mine would not hold the car on anything but dead flat surfaces when I got it, but it's not too hard to fix. The squeak is probably the parking brake shoes retracting when you reverse, but if you want to be sure the parking brake is holding properly, hold the brakes, then set the parking brake. The car should not move AT ALL if you do this sequence. If it does move, your parking brakes need to be adjusted for sure. I use my p brake all the time to help my gearbox last longer. Resting the full weight of the car on the parking pawls in the transmission isn't the best idea.
The squeaking does not happen with the parking applied or release. It usually happen when I drive home and need to switch to reverse to back into the parking spot. Would the parking brake still be the reason in this case?

My parking brake still need to be adjusted whether it is the reason for the squeaking or not. Because I always hold the brakes then set the parking brake. And the car still slightly move. Is there a video or forum link on how I can do this myself without a car lift? Or I have to go into service for this adjustment?
Old 05-29-19, 05:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The rear wheels have to be off the ground to adjust the parking brakes. First the wheels come off to adjust the shoes inside the rear discs, then the cable gets adjusted underneath the car so the brake engages properly with the right number of clicks. I run mine a little tighter than the factory recommends so the car will hold on a fairly steep hill with only the parking brake.

The squeak happens when you come to a full stop with the brakes, not setting the parking brake, then you shift into reverse and you get the squeak? Could be LOTS of possibilities. Not something we have seen here as a common issue at all.
b761125 (05-31-19)
Old 05-30-19, 10:00 AM
b761125
Rookie

Sounds like it might be a little challenging for me parked in condo parking. I will figure something out.

The detail sequence for when the squeak happens is as follows:

Car parked in under ground parking-> start the car -> Engage drive -> drive for 5-60 minutes -> drive back into the underground parking -> switch to reverse -> Noise -> back into the parking spot -> switch to park -> apply parking brake -> release brake -> car move slightly

The noise does not happen all the time (maybe 1/15 times) but the car moving slightly after parking brake happens all the time.

I will try to record the noise and post it here.
Old 05-31-19, 07:14 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Sometimes it's the simple stuff we miss, so I thought I'd mention this about the reverse -> squeak.
Are you sure you're engaging the (non-parking) brakes all the way when you put it in reverse? My brakes squeak all the time when I put it in reverse because my foot isn't down hard enough. The car shifts, moves a touch, and the brakes aren't fully engaged so it makes a sound. Happened just this morning. Sounds almost like the t-rex in Jurassic Park for about a half a second. I kinda like the sound because it boasts "my brakes are bigger than yours" to anyone within range.
b761125 (05-31-19)
Old 05-31-19, 08:58 AM
b761125
Rookie

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Sometimes it's the simple stuff we miss, so I thought I'd mention this about the reverse -> squeak.
Are you sure you're engaging the (non-parking) brakes all the way when you put it in reverse? My brakes squeak all the time when I put it in reverse because my foot isn't down hard enough. The car shifts, moves a touch, and the brakes aren't fully engaged so it makes a sound. Happened just this morning. Sounds almost like the t-rex in Jurassic Park for about a half a second. I kinda like the sound because it boasts "my brakes are bigger than yours" to anyone within range.
To be honest, there might be a chance for this. I still have my issue with a tiny leak somewhere in the brake booster assembly (the brake pedal becomes very hard to press after I parked the car overnight).
Maybe because of the leak, it requires more physical force to press on the pedal to apply the same pressure on the brake pads?
However, would the brake squeak if it is hot/warm? Since this noise typically happens when I drove home.
Old 05-31-19, 11:35 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by b761125
To be honest, there might be a chance for this. I still have my issue with a tiny leak somewhere in the brake booster assembly (the brake pedal becomes very hard to press after I parked the car overnight).
Maybe because of the leak, it requires more physical force to press on the pedal to apply the same pressure on the brake pads?
However, would the brake squeak if it is hot/warm? Since this noise typically happens when I drove home.
Change the check valve.
Old 05-31-19, 11:38 AM
b761125
Rookie

I did already as recommended by everyone from Club Lexus. The issue is lessen but not solved.
Old 04-01-24, 12:42 PM
SteveLC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same symptoms. Noise seems to come from the front region I think. Squealing from emergency brake is different than the sound that it makes when reversing. Any luck in figuring out what it is?
Old 04-01-24, 01:16 PM
b761125
Rookie

No, I did not. However, after I change my brake pads, and lubricated the rear caliper cylinder (it wasn't moving very smoothly), the problem does not happen as often as before.
So maybe it was the squeak coming from the cylinder not retracting fully and was still touching the brake disc.

I have since sold the ISF since I need a baby (/wife) friendly car.

I would say the F was definitely more fun to drive

Originally Posted by SteveLC
I have the exact same symptoms. Noise seems to come from the front region I think. Squealing from emergency brake is different than the sound that it makes when reversing. Any luck in figuring out what it is?