IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Own a 2010 ISF. Considering Upgrading to a 2011+... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 03:08 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Own a 2010 ISF. Considering Upgrading to a 2011+... is it worth it?

I just bought a 2010 Lexus ISF and I love it so far, except for it's rough ride, and it doesn't help that I live in an area with awful roads. I love the car so I can live with that downside. The thing is, I'm very particular about my color combo - I want the red exterior and white interior. That is not something I will compromise on. I started looking for a new car in September 2018, and didn't find an ISF with this color combo until February 2019. I ended up flying to LA and driving it back to NYC. But there's one caveat - I was only looking on AutoTrader, I figured if it was on AutoTrader it would be on any other site. But boy was a I wrong.

About a week ago out of curiosity I downloaded the cars.com app, as I've window shopped cars online for a long time anyway, and was curious if I would see anything different. To my surprise, I found a 2012 Red/White ISF that was not listed on AutoTrader. I also found a 2010 GS460 in red (a car I also was considering) but with a black interior, also not listed on AutoTrader. I called to inquire about the ISF but it was already sold.

What mainly appeals to me about the 2011+ is the smoother suspension (again, I live in an area with awful roads), and supposedly better steering feel. I like the steering feel of my ISF now, but better is better, lol. LSD and headlights are minor pluses but would not consider upgrading for just those. The only thing is, I've never driven or even ridden in a 2011+ plus, so I have no idea of how different it is first hand. Is it significant?

The only thing is, who knows when this color combo in a 2011+ will pop up again. I have no problem waiting a few months, but if I have to wait close to or upwards of a year I'd just stick with my 2010. I wouldn't want to wait too long because then I'd just be putting off some investments I'd like to make in my 2010 - a clear bra, fixing my sound system, leather reconditioning, and changing the spark plugs. The $1900 or so in sales tax I paid I'll never get back obviously. I bought a set of Bilstein B6 shocks from Weapon F for $500 and had them installed and aligned for about $1000. I'm never getting my sales tax back obviously, but I think I could sell mine private party for $22-$23k considering all the repairs I've made (I bought it for $21k), making back my investments thus far. I also paid about $1000 for a set of Michelin AS3's but if I bought a new one I can put the new tires I bought on any new Lexus ISF I buy so that's not a big deal.

Curious what you guys think. Should I try and wait it out for my color combo in 2011+ to pop up (which I think is one of the rarest combos), or just go all in and make some investments in my current 2010?
Old 04-30-19, 03:11 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

is not worth it, just get Ohlin coilt and good lighter wheels volk or advan, michelin tyres , u r good to roll
Old 04-30-19, 03:23 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed, not worth it. LSD is the main component to upgrading, but you already have that. So losing taxes + all the $ already spent on your current car should be consider a loss. Assuming you can sell it quickly at the price you want, it could also take months for a buyer to come along. Used ISF's are a niche market since most are out of warranty now.

"Upgrade" the suspension on the 2010, which would be the "best" financial option vs selling it and buying a 2011. "Best" in quotes because it's relative, but you'll still lose money...
Old 04-30-19, 03:41 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF4life
is not worth it, just get Ohlin coilt and good lighter wheels volk or advan, michelin tyres , u r good to roll
Originally Posted by itsmike177
Agreed, not worth it. LSD is the main component to upgrading, but you already have that. So losing taxes + all the $ already spent on your current car should be consider a loss. Assuming you can sell it quickly at the price you want, it could also take months for a buyer to come along. Used ISF's are a niche market since most are out of warranty now.

"Upgrade" the suspension on the 2010, which would be the "best" financial option vs selling it and buying a 2011. "Best" in quotes because it's relative, but you'll still lose money...
All good points. I know if I traded to a 2011+ I’d be losing money, the question would be how much can I cut my losses by.

If i wanted to, how would I go about changing my suspension set up to the 2011+? I’d want to do this mainly because I live in an area with awful roads, and the 2011+’s are supposedly smoother. Ive never experienced a 2011+ though, so I don’t know how significant the difference is, and if it would be worth it. I’d be curious to hear from someone whose driven both in an area with bad roads
Old 04-30-19, 05:10 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in a similar situation with harsh roads (not as bad as NY) and have considered ditching the F entirely. I don't think trading is the way to go... I'm researching 18" rims for taller tires and coils, but I'm worried that won't be enough. Subd to see what everyone else is doing.
Old 04-30-19, 06:17 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Originally Posted by F_Throttle
I'm in a similar situation with harsh roads (not as bad as NY) and have considered ditching the F entirely. I don't think trading is the way to go... I'm researching 18" rims for taller tires and coils, but I'm worried that won't be enough. Subd to see what everyone else is doing.
a lot of people would consider this an abomination, but it’s something I’ve considered doing and something Weapon F (who lives in NYC metro area) is going to do: airbag the car. It’s expensive, but with the right package, it’ll handle just as well, with very good road feel, but it will smooth out the bumps and road irregularities quite well without compromising much. I really want to keep this car, especially because it’s the first car I bought with my own money. So spending 3k or so on airbaging it may be well worth it if you want to keep the car long term or even indefinitely but live in an area with bad roads

Last edited by ToYourGSE; 04-30-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 06:25 PM
Finboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find one to your standards and drive it.

Financial sense and car stuff dont mix well

(Tire selection and sidewall can make a noticeable difference too)
Old 04-30-19, 07:57 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Originally Posted by Finboy
Financial sense and car stuff dont mix well
True Dat.

Originally Posted by Finboy
(Tire selection and sidewall can make a noticeable difference too)
One thing I actually was considering too was buying the current gen Lexus IS350 18" 5 spoke wheels and getting a thicker tire when my current tires are done. I think they're great looking and would fit with the ISF well, though I'll miss the spider rims. My only concern would to make sure it would work with the TPMS
Old 04-30-19, 10:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^If the TPMS from the later wheels is not compatible, you can always use the sensors from your current wheels. You also need to make sure they will clear the stock front calipers.

Lou
Old 04-30-19, 11:52 PM
ascer
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely keep the car. I'm not sure how the stock F suspension compares handling wise, but I found BC BR Coilovers to give very good ride quality on my IS350 even though I had them set up very low. I myself have a 2010 ISF now, but that may be something to consider?
Old 04-30-19, 11:59 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I own a 2008 and just recently put an RC F diff in for about 1.9k. Did it myself with a family member.

Put the car around 30k. Bought this car for $28,000. 55k miles. Id say I saved money compared to the 2010+ even have the option of putting 2012+ headlights in. Suspension never bothered me, getting a nice pair of coilovers solved it. Not much changes that make me want a 2010+ anyways.
Old 05-01-19, 01:06 AM
KenISF
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Find a local member with an 11+ and get a ride in it to see for yourself. Don"t want to go through the hassle and expense of changing car only to find out the 11+ ride isn't what you wanted.
The following users liked this post:
ToYourGSE (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 04:37 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Buy 18s and run 265/40/18. They are only a 1/4 inch taller than stock. Buy tires that ride smooth, not bricks, and go lighter. I did this on my 2013, and it made a massive difference in ride. My car was jarring and loud on Indiana roads. Now it’s quiet and smooth. Even my wife noticed.

you can also just buy 12 plus springs and shocks.
ToYourGSE (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 06:36 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

08 with 12 suspension. it does show much less harshness in ride, but you'll need 18" with higher side wall for NYC road conditions. The low profile wheels/tires is not comfy on NYC roads. If you are going to spend more $$ on the car, I'll get a second car for the daily drive consider the winter snow etc.
ToYourGSE (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 11:53 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I have 2010, upgraded to KW v3 coil-overs, it rides like a dream plus you would get to reduce the stupid large gap in the front with a mild drop and you also get to keep your leather seats, while 2011 has the fake Alcantara.

Quick Reply: Own a 2010 ISF. Considering Upgrading to a 2011+... is it worth it?