IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I want more power, but I don't want more noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 11:09 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Make no mistake, the Joe Z exhaust is loud and resonates in the car at low RPM. I’m 33, and over my loud car days. I love my PPE / Joe Z combo, but it’s not a daily driver. There are louder cars, but to say that this is quiet is just silly.

my neighbors hate it.... if that tells you anything. Neighbors don’t hate quiet cars.
Old 04-12-19, 01:03 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
People want different things. I know there's a lot of guys/gals here that will sacrifice anything for power. I was one of them. I took a normal family sedan and doubled the output and one of the mods was a 3 inch exhaust. It was ear splitting loud. So much so that it was kinda embarrassing, and exhausting to drive. Some of us don't want to be the center of attention always, and the ISF excels in that. It is a joy to drive for many simply because it's understated lexus quietness, but it hides a beast of a motor.

The stock exhaust manifold isn't a great design, and there is power to be made there. But some of us don't want that constant exhaust noise. I think the PPE dual mode would work well, or like I said earlier a e-cutout dump would give you the best of both worlds.
THIS ^^^^^^

Some of us just like to keep a super low profile, while still being able to extract additional power from the motor without smurf juice or boost.

My goal is to increase power while maintaining close to stock exhaust note in a completely stock looking ISF. With Headers, midpipe and highflow cats I can do just that. The tune would help with more power and eliminating the need to run 02 conditioners, but I prefer a custom dyno tune rather than "off the shelf map", so I'm willing to wait until I find the right tuner/installer.
Old 04-12-19, 01:39 PM
2URGSE
Racer

BTW, who makes a good quality X pipe for the car?
Old 04-18-19, 09:25 AM
AyAyRon
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
dual e-cutouts just past the headers maybe pre cat or just after. Flip a switch and you have an open exhaust, with the noise, flip a switch and it's back to stockish.
Somebody really needs to do this. I want to but I'm scared to be the guinea pig!
Old 04-18-19, 10:31 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AyAyRon
Somebody really needs to do this. I want to but I'm scared to be the guinea pig!
There was a member that I think was international that did do an e-cutout. He posted a video and then seemingly disappeared. I'm still enjoying my ISF stock, thought the modification bug is never that far away. If I did go with headers I think I'd probably go the e-cutout route. The 3 inch exhaust I had on my last turbo vehicle was just too exhausting to drive after a while.
Old 04-18-19, 12:11 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I am surprised no one mentioned to install side branch resonators. I have Joe Z, and I have to say it drones. I don't get the saying it quiets down after break in. It never quieted down. I think people just get used to the sound, instead of it quieting down. I did install the PPE equal length headers with hi flow cats. And let me tell you, the sound was LOUD. For me, it was unacceptable in this car. I had an exhaust shop install side branch resonators, and it made a world of difference. The car is much quieter, no drone, and no loss in performance. Look into this. You can get all this, and have a quieter car.

Last edited by airvtec; 04-18-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 12:19 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by airvtec
I am surprised no one mentioned to install side branch resonators. I have Joe Z, and I have to say it drones. I don't get the saying it quiets down after break in. It never quieted down. I think people just get used to the sound, instead of it quieting down. I did install the PPE equal length headers with hi flow cats. And let me tell you, the sound was LOUD. For me, it was unacceptable in this car. I had an exhaust shop install side branch resonators, and it made a world of difference. The car is much quieter, no drone, and no loss in performance. Looks into this. You can get all this, and have a quieter car.
I thought the side branch resonators only reduced drone, not the loudness of the exhaust system as well. Can you post pics? I'd like to look into getting this done for my car.
Old 04-18-19, 12:25 PM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to see the pics of the side branch resonator as well!
Old 04-18-19, 05:16 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

I had posted these pictures on Facebook, as another ISF owner wanted to install them, and he did. It not only reduces drone, it also quiets the sound. Of course, the length & width of the pipe will make a difference. My resonators are 2" x 21"

The following 4 users liked this post by airvtec:
GrizzlyMan (08-29-21), msgs350 (04-19-19), Rossi (04-21-19), Wh0pp3r (04-19-19)
Old 04-19-19, 11:01 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

I did not know this was an OPTION!!!...

guess i know what im doing.
Old 04-19-19, 12:11 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
I thought the side branch resonators only reduced drone, not the loudness of the exhaust system as well. Can you post pics? I'd like to look into getting this done for my car.
Problem is people equate drone to loudness since it’s so obnoxious. When in fact drone is essentially vibration due to a frequency that could be eliminated via the quarter wave branch resonators. Thus reducing unwanted “noise”.

They work. Just gotta do the math to figure out the diameter and length to hit the frequency range you want to eliminate.
Old 04-20-19, 05:28 PM
2URGSE
Racer

More i think about it, the dual mode exhaust makes sense. In other words, do it all the way or don't do it at all.

I prefer the muscular sound, so maybe the unequal length headers would make more sense, saving about $1,000.
Old 04-21-19, 01:51 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll get straight to the point, unless someone has said it.

OEM Midpipe and Axleback with PPE headers. Period. That's the best setup possible in order to retain the quietness of this car.
Save yourself money for a catback and apply it to the headers and install. I would've done that if I rethought of it.
Old 04-21-19, 08:35 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by airvtec
I had posted these pictures on Facebook, as another ISF owner wanted to install them, and he did. It not only reduces drone, it also quiets the sound. Of course, the length & width of the pipe will make a difference. My resonators are 2" x 21"

AWESOME, great info, did you do the calculations yourself or tried several different lengths? I was under impression, that side branch resonators should be same width as your exhaust piping, which should have been 2.5 inches, why did you go with 2inch diameter?
Eager to hear back from you.

Seems ISF drones at the same RPM for anyone with any exhaust drone issues, so your resonator dimensions should work with other exhaust systems like Borla too, right?

Last edited by Rossi; 04-22-19 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 03:45 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

I didn't do any calculations. I just asked the guy to install the longest possible. I believe 2" diameter is what will fit in that area. There are formulas online you can use to calculate the length you need. If your exhaust shop is willing, you can ask them to make a temporary adjustable length one. Make adjustments until you hit the sweet spot, but as you can imagine this will take time. I don't know about the Borla exhaust, however I would imagine it should apply. The Joe Z drones right below 2k RPM. I wish someone with the technical know-how can figure out the exact length and diameter.

Quick Reply: I want more power, but I don't want more noise