IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2013 Lexus IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 04:17 PM
Harris69
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2013 Lexus IS-F

I have been hit with the IS-F bug for a while now, and after searching the internet for months I finally came across an ISF that checked all the boxes (well not all but most) Booked a flight to Boston for next morning, and few hours later I was headed to GSP to catch a plane to Boston.

With temps being in the 20s, and high winds Boston is not the kind of place I normally have in mind to visit this time of the year; but that's where my search for a clean, and late model ISF had taken me, and I was determined to let nothing affect me negatively. Once I arrived at the dealership I did a walk around, pointed out some of the scratches and dents to the salesman, and went straight into the Finance Manager's room to finish up the transaction. Two hours later I was on the road with one goal in mind- making it back to Asheville as quickly as possible. So for the next 21 hours I drove, and drove, and then drove some more until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Along the way I ended up taking several rest area naps, pounded several Monster Ultras (to no avail), coffee, protein bars to get me going....Finally after being on the road for 21 hours I pulled into my driveway at noon and took a sigh of a relief.

​​​​​Few observations that I made during my drive are as follows:
. Compare to my F10 535, IS-F drives considerably harsher (I even have the tech check and adjust the air pressure to 36 psi before leaving the dealership).
. Fuel mileage is around 24-25 mpg which again is not as good as my stage 2 F10. In Lexus's defence I didn't know how to use the cruise control, and drove the car at higher speeds than I normally drive, and therefore not getting the optimal mileage.
. Interior plastics, and overall dash layout is basic at best. Seats although comfortable were too narrow for my athletic buid, and felt as if my lats were resting on the side bolsters. Also, being used to the space in the 5-series my legs felt cramped, and I constantly had to turn my butt to be able to keep my legs stretched (and I am only 5'11'').
. I don't know what Lexus was thinking, but having a small speedo is a major drawback. I was constantly looking at the analog speedo but then had to look at the digital speedo to really know what my true speed was.

Besides all the drawbacks (extremely harsh suspension being the worst) I am very excited to own this car. My immediate plans are to address some of the cosmetic issues (curbed wheels, PDR, and possibly repainting the rear bumper due to some deep scratches). No plans to modify the IS-F, but I said the same when I purchased my F10 less than a year ago.

Talk to you guys soon.

Last edited by Harris69; 02-11-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 04:34 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, the seats are tight. With a winter jacket on, they’re downright cramped. Thankfully my F is a warm weather car.

Probably would’ve been a good idea to test drive the car before buying?? Interior size was something that I noticed as being a bit on the tight side when I test drove mine, however, I was fully willing to make that trade off for everything else.

Old 02-10-19, 04:56 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

You seem very displeased. Perhaps a test drive would have been worth while. It is a tight car by today’s standards, but it was also designed in 04-05 when cars were much smaller. By those standards, it was not all that small.

FYI, my 13 rides well. Is your F10 a luxury car or a sports car? The F is a sports car.
Old 02-10-19, 04:56 PM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by Jz39
Yep, the seats are tight. With a winter jacket on, they’re downright cramped. Thankfully my F is a warm weather car.

Probably would’ve been a good idea to test drive the car before buying?? Interior size was something that I noticed as being a bit on the tight side when I test drove mine, however, I was fully willing to make that trade off for everything else.

I was determined to buy an ISF at any cost... Right comfort be damned. �� But you are right- interior room is a bit on the tight side. This car is definitely not road trip friendly vehicle, but I love the way it sounds. Also, although I didn't really push the car but I have a feeling my N55 powered F10 feels more powerful. Which makes me wonder how the F10 will fare against an ISF in a drag race..I guess only way to find out is to put dragy in the Lexus, and BMW and running several 0-60, and 0-100 mph runs.

Last edited by Harris69; 02-11-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 05:10 PM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
You seem very displeased. Perhaps a test drive would have been worth while. It is a tight car by today’s standards, but it was also designed in 04-05 when cars were much smaller. By those standards, it was not all that small.

FYI, my 13 rides well. Is your F10 a luxury car or a sports car? The F is a sports car.
I mean I understand that it is a sports car above anything else. But I thought Lexus brand is comfort first, no? And that is what differentiates Lexus from it's German competitors (And obviously reliability). Also, suspension feels downright bouncy. I don't see how anyone can deal with such a stiff suspension in places where they have less than perfect roads. May be I am old, and this car's focus is track only, but I can't imagine daily driving it. Car only has 82k miles so I don't think suspension is worn out.

Last edited by Harris69; 02-10-19 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 06:59 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

You've basically got the most updated and "softest" suspension compared to the earlier years of the ISF product run (2008-2010). If you think the suspension is harsh in the 2013 MY then your next bet is going to a set of KW V3's for the ISF which is the softest sprung coilover out there you can get for the ISF that many seem to like for daily duties and even if it's weekend status.

Why were you so determined to get an ISF coming from an F10 535? Sounds like the 535 was more comfortable and quicker with boost than a stock ISF based on the butt dyno?

Regardless, welcome!
Old 02-10-19, 07:05 PM
8cyl
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, so you finally bought one.
Another one in Asheville
Congratulations!
Old 02-10-19, 07:11 PM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
You've basically got the most updated and "softest" suspension compared to the earlier years of the ISF product run (2008-2010). If you think the suspension is harsh in the 2013 MY then your next bet is going to a set of KW V3's for the ISF which is the softest sprung coilover out there you can get for the ISF that many seem to like for daily duties and even if it's weekend status.

Why were you so determined to get an ISF coming from an F10 535? Sounds like the 535 was more comfortable and quicker with boost than a stock ISF based on the butt dyno?

Regardless, welcome!
I still own the 535i but I constantly change cars as I can never really stick with anything longer than a year. 535i is more softly sprung, and I guess geared more for cruising than carving up the roads. I didn't say Lexus is slower than the F10, but force induction and MHD stage 2 (VRSF charge pipe, and ER catless downpipe) gives the illusion of being fast from the dig. Whether it is, is another story.
I am enjoying the car despite it's quirks. I think it's a very capable car, but dailying it will be chore. How many of IS-F owners are in their 40s and what are their impressions of the ISF?

Last edited by Harris69; 02-11-19 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 07:13 PM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by 8cyl
Ah, so you finally bought one.
Another one in Asheville
Congratulations!
Thanks man. Let's meet up sometime. 😎
Old 02-10-19, 08:29 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I bought my '12 F with 20k on the clock and before it had 22k on the clock, I had Swift Springs installed because I felt like the suspension was far to soft/comfortable for a "sports car"! I have an RX350 as well...wanted a bit stiffer/rougher ride. Car had brand new tires on it also. Makes a big difference. So get new tires if you need them.
like mentioned above, the '12-'14 Fs had the softer suspension and rode the best. Doesn't get much better than that on the F!
Also, is the F all stock?

V.
Old 02-11-19, 01:50 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by Vitveet
I bought my '12 F with 20k on the clock and before it had 22k on the clock, I had Swift Springs installed because I felt like the suspension was far to soft/comfortable for a "sports car"! I have an RX350 as well...wanted a bit stiffer/rougher ride. Car had brand new tires on it also. Makes a big difference. So get new tires if you need them.
like mentioned above, the '12-'14 Fs had the softer suspension and rode the best. Doesn't get much better than that on the F!
Also, is the F all stock?

V.
Bone stock...Also, brand new AS/3s were put on the car by the selling dealer on my request. One thing I didn't do (and I am stickler for it) is check the air pressure in the tires with my trusted gauge.
Old 02-11-19, 02:32 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on picking one up! Do you have any pictures yet!?
Old 02-11-19, 03:58 AM
Harris69
Driver

Default I did take some

At 5:30 am. Didn't turn out the best but then again it has 926 miles of whatever came my way.

Old 02-11-19, 05:10 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it an optical illusion or are those tires super low profile? The wheel gap looks very big.
Old 02-11-19, 05:22 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes it looks odd from here. Too high from the angles.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus IS-F