IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2013 Lexus IS-F

Old 02-11-19, 05:24 AM
Harris69
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Is it an optical illusion or are those tires super low profile? The wheel gap looks very big.
You know I was in such a rush to leave the dealership and get on the road that I didn't even check to make sure if they were the correct size tires.
First order of things is to call my wheel repair guy and get these wheels refinished. Then off to the PDR guy, and lastly rear bumper scratches and key marks will be addressed.
Old 02-11-19, 06:45 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the buy! After you get the issues taken care of, look into getting the either the FIGS or RR Racing front lower control arm bushings along with a good alignment. This is a must do for our cars! Will double the life of your front tires and provide more precise steering. You can look this up.
Old 02-11-19, 07:08 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Surprised that you think the suspension is harsh. The 11+ models have been known to have much softer and more compliant ride than the 08-10 models. However, most seem to upgrade to coilovers anyways and with nearly 90k on yours I'm pretty sure the suspension is nearing the end of it's life. +1 on the Figs or RR Racing LCA upgrade. A nice catback would also make the car more fun and let you hear the best reason above all to own this car. Hope the rest of your ownership is more positive!
Old 02-11-19, 07:17 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Congrats on the buy! After you get the issues taken care of, look into getting the either the FIGS or RR Racing front lower control arm bushings along with a good alignment. This is a must do for our cars! Will double the life of your front tires and provide more precise steering. You can look this up.
Will look into them. Do you by any chance have a link?
Old 02-11-19, 07:18 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Surprised that you think the suspension is harsh. The 11+ models have been known to have much softer and more compliant ride than the 08-10 models. However, most seem to upgrade to coilovers anyways and with nearly 90k on yours I'm pretty sure the suspension is nearing the end of it's life. +1 on the Figs or RR Racing LCA upgrade. A nice catback would also make the car more fun and let you hear the best reason above all to own this car. Hope the rest of your ownership is more positive!
Thanks. Hopefully dealership didn't use wrong size tires.
Old 02-11-19, 07:31 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

The F is a track oriented car, and you are comparing it to a luxury daily driver, so some of the rough ride issue is perspective. If you continue to compare the two, you will never be happy with the F’s ride. They are built for different purposes.

What size tires are on your F10? My F rides like garbage with 30 series tires. With 35 series tires it rides relatively well. This spring I’ll have 40 series tires and 18s, and I imagine it will be very smooth. Im not sure that you can make it ride smoother by suspension mods. As mentioned above, 13-14 had by far the smoothest setup. Perhaps a newer model owner can advise on KW coils versus stock suspension.

Put headers and exhaust on it. It gives large power gains and makes the car sound very good. I’m complimented all the time on how it sounds, and the look on people’s faces is priceless.

FYI, you picked the best color IMO. Hopefully you can get the car to suit you better. For reference, I don’t daily drive mine.
Old 02-11-19, 08:04 AM
8cyl
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lowe...isfxlca001.htm
https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehic...US-2IS-3GS-ISF

Here are links from RR Racing and FIGS.
I bought USRS from RR Racing because it was about $100 cheaper than FIGS and now they are about the same.
They both should last life time.
Old 02-11-19, 08:12 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by 8cyl
https://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lowe...isfxlca001.htm
https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehic...US-2IS-3GS-ISF

Here are links from RR Racing and FIGS.
I bought USRS from RR Racing because it was about $100 cheaper than FIGS and now they are about the same.
They both should last life time.
Much appreciated.
Old 02-11-19, 08:19 AM
Harris69
Driver

Default 2011 F10 pics

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The F is a track oriented car, and you are comparing it to a luxury daily driver, so some of the rough ride issue is perspective. If you continue to compare the two, you will never be happy with the F’s ride. They are built for different purposes.

What size tires are on your F10? My F rides like garbage with 30 series tires. With 35 series tires it rides relatively well. This spring I’ll have 40 series tires and 18s, and I imagine it will be very smooth. Im not sure that you can make it ride smoother by suspension mods. As mentioned above, 13-14 had by far the smoothest setup. Perhaps a newer model owner can advise on KW coils versus stock suspension.

Put headers and exhaust on it. It gives large power gains and makes the car sound very good. I’m complimented all the time on how it sounds, and the look on people’s faces is priceless.

FYI, you picked the best color IMO. Hopefully you can get the car to suit you better. For reference, I don’t daily drive mine.
295/30/20 rears
245/35/20 fronts

Old 02-11-19, 08:22 AM
8cyl
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BY the way, I don't know if you can do the job in your garage but,
if you're going to do bushings upgrade at shop, then it's an half hour job at best. don't get over charged.
Old 02-11-19, 08:51 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by 8cyl
BY the way, I don't know if you can do the job in your garage but,
if you're going to do bushings upgrade at shop, then it's an half hour job at best. don't get over charged.
​​​​​​

It will a shop that will do the job as I have limited tools and no time to wrench. Who'd you recommend for repairs on the ISF? I hear Mostly Toyota is a great place, and very knowledgeable, but not sure if they will do aftermarket installs. How is your car running?

Last edited by Harris69; 02-11-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 10:04 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by Vitveet
I bought my '12 F with 20k on the clock and before it had 22k on the clock, I had Swift Springs installed because I felt like the suspension was far to soft/comfortable for a "sports car"! I have an RX350 as well...wanted a bit stiffer/rougher ride. Car had brand new tires on it also. Makes a big difference. So get new tires if you need them.
like mentioned above, the '12-'14 Fs had the softer suspension and rode the best. Doesn't get much better than that on the F!
Also, is the F all stock?

V.
I just now realized that you are in NC. Whereabouts are you?
Old 02-11-19, 10:59 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome and congrats!

I'd be willing to bet that those tires on the car are attributing to a poor ride.
Old 02-11-19, 11:07 AM
Harris69
Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Welcome and congrats!

I'd be willing to bet that those tires on the car are attributing to a poor ride.
Do you think they are the wrong size, or is it because you don't think Michelin AS/3s ride good on these cars? I had these on my 12 S60 R-Design and they were wonderful.
Old 02-11-19, 11:14 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris69
Do you think they are the wrong size, or is it because you don't think Michelin AS/3s ride good on these cars? I had these on my 12 S60 R-Design and they were wonderful.
Interesting, I was having a hard time making out the brand of tire in your photos. That isn't a bad tire. What size is on there currently?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus IS-F