IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2010 Lexus ISF with 126k miles. 3 year gap in service history. Asking $22k. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 04:20 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I just talked to dealer on the phone, they're willing to come down $1000 because of the tires. Also, I remember seeing in a review somewhere that the tires that the ISF came with were only rated to last 15,000 miles. Is this true? Would this apply to the suggested tires, like the Michelin PS4 or Bridgestone S-04? I never do burnouts or donuts, and I would rarely take it to the track
Old 02-06-19, 05:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Not true unless your roads are made of sandpaper. I typically get 25 - 30k miles on PS 4S.
The following users liked this post:
ToYourGSE (02-07-19)
Old 02-06-19, 05:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFDreamer
I just talked to dealer on the phone, they're willing to come down $1000 because of the tires. Also, I remember seeing in a review somewhere that the tires that the ISF came with were only rated to last 15,000 miles. Is this true? Would this apply to the suggested tires, like the Michelin PS4 or Bridgestone S-04? I never do burnouts or donuts, and I would rarely take it to the track
The original OEM tires on the iSF were Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Both MaxPerformance Summer tires. Some folks got 15K miles out of them. I got much more. The tires I suggested are also Max Performance Summer tires, updates to the OEM tires, in tune with the handling characteristics of the ISF. You can get more Mileage with an All Season tire, but at a trade off in handling. Up to you.

Lou
ToYourGSE (02-07-19)
Old 02-06-19, 06:04 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

One thing you'll learn with tires is you can get a lot more life out of them depending on the brand. Oh and make SURE you get a tire with a minimum tread life warranty. For example, according to TireRack.com these tires have the following tread life warranty:

Michelin PS4 - 22,000 miles
Bridgestone S4 - None
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 - 50,000 (currently on my GS and SC)

You should be looking to get at least get 2-3 years out of your tires. I get 4 out of mine (rotating every 6 months). Of course when I purchase my ISF I'm willing to sacrifice a little tire wear for handling so will probably go with the Michelins. Buyer beware when you see no minimum tread life warranty...
ToYourGSE (02-07-19)
Old 02-06-19, 06:07 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Heck yeah! Call ahead and make sure a local tire shop has your tires in stock and you are good to go.
Old 02-06-19, 06:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by kevin3344
One thing you'll learn with tires is you can get a lot more life out of them depending on the brand. Oh and make SURE you get a tire with a minimum tread life warranty. For example, according to TireRack.com these tires have the following tread life warranty:

Michelin PS4 - 22,000 miles
Bridgestone S4 - None
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 - 50,000 (currently on my GS and SC)

You should be looking to get at least get 2-3 years out of your tires. I get 4 out of mine (rotating every 6 months). Of course when I purchase my ISF I'm willing to sacrifice a little tire wear for handling so will probably go with the Michelins. Buyer beware when you see no minimum tread life warranty...
You won't rotate tires on an IS F unless you buy a square setup. They're staggered from the factory. Treadwear warranties don't help much if your alignment isn't spot on, and unless you replace the LCA bushing with something firmer than what Lexus installed, you'll likely wear out the inside edges of the front tires before anything else.

Might want to take a peek at these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alignment.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...eo-inside.html
Old 02-06-19, 06:20 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

That's true, same as our IS250...in that case OP do your research.
Old 02-06-19, 06:52 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have cheaper tires on my car and the rears (275s) are almost done after 15k miles. Im fine with how long they lasted. I now have a set of 285s coming
Old 02-06-19, 10:06 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Looking back at the pre purchase inspection, would I really need to replace the tires immediately in LA? The tread depths are as follows:
Front Left: 5/32nds Front Right: 4/32nds
Both rear tires are at 3/32nds.

The inspection report it even puts all tires except FR in the yellow "May Need Future Attention" category - and the FR is in green. It's a 3000 mile drive home and I'd definitely want to open it up though. I don't want to risk my safety, but I wouldn't want to replace my tires prematurely either. Plus once I'm home I'll have more time to make a final decision on their replacement. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You won't rotate tires on an IS F unless you buy a square setup. They're staggered from the factory. Treadwear warranties don't help much if your alignment isn't spot on, and unless you replace the LCA bushing with something firmer than what Lexus installed, you'll likely wear out the inside edges of the front tires before anything else.

Might want to take a peek at these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alignment.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...eo-inside.html
I'm aware of the staggered tires, but would rotation help even if it's just switching the left tires to the right and vice versa?
Old 02-07-19, 10:30 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I will be replacing R comp tires every 5000 miles or less probably, so your good at 15k .
Old 02-07-19, 12:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

...but would rotation help even if it's just switching the left tires to the right and vice versa?
No. Not helpful at all.
ToYourGSE (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 01:23 PM
ToYourGSE
Driver

Update:

I'm booking a flight for next Saturday night (feb 16), and will be seeing the car on Sunday morning. If it all checks out, I'll be driving home in my new ISF! Probably going to get new tires there anyway, even if I'd be replacing them somewhat prematurely. I'm probably going to get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 like one user suggested. They seem like a good balance between performance, longevity, and wet weather stopping. They're all seasons but I don't demand too much from my tires - don't need the best lap times, all I want is good grip for carving up the backroads at a nice pace, and based on reviews they seem to fit the bill. I'd like to to drive it 15-17k miles a year and the Continentals are rated to last 50k miles, whereas the Michelins are rated to last 22-30k - plus I'd need to get winter tires. Maybe when it's time to replace them I'll get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' for the summer and another set for winter

Last edited by ToYourGSE; 02-07-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 02:22 PM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

If you get there and they look okay, make the trip on them and save the 3k miles on your new tires.
lobuxracer (02-12-19)
Old 02-09-19, 01:04 PM
8cyl
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck on your chase!
Old 02-10-19, 05:58 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Update:

I'm booking a flight for next Saturday night (feb 16), and will be seeing the car on Sunday morning. If it all checks out, I'll be driving home in my new ISF! Probably going to get new tires there anyway, even if I'd be replacing them somewhat prematurely. I'm probably going to get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 like one user suggested. They seem like a good balance between performance, longevity, and wet weather stopping. They're all seasons but I don't demand too much from my tires - don't need the best lap times, all I want is good grip for carving up the backroads at a nice pace, and based on reviews they seem to fit the bill. I'd like to to drive it 15-17k miles a year and the Continentals are rated to last 50k miles, whereas the Michelins are rated to last 22-30k - plus I'd need to get winter tires. Maybe when it's time to replace them I'll get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' for the summer and another set for winter
May I make suggestion to you I live in Westchester county NY. I've had my 2011 ISF for 8yrs now. I had Continental extreme contact DWS didn't care for them at all. For me just didn't handle icey roads that well at all, were ok in light powdered snow no more than 1in. In slippery icy slushy snow not that great. If your going to DD your ISF in NYC the best way to go about it is two get two sets of tires and rims. I Have dictated UHP summer tires and Blizzak ws80 winter tire mounted on 18in rims 225/45/18 to be exact square set. You will extended life of your summer tires and get best handling tires for your ISF, and get real traction and safety with winters tires. The WS80 blizzaks are great in snow and ice also handle fairly well for what they are winters tires and ride comfortably. I tried to two different types of all season tires and was never satisfied with there capabilities on the ISF even with moderate snowfall amounts. Not until I went with dedicated snow tires did ISF finally handle well not just in snow but icey conditions, cold wet roads and are very good in rain as well. By the time you get your ISF back to New York City it will be nearly the end of February and just a few weeks of winter left. I'd find a good set of Summer tire since at that point spring is month away. And get set of snow tires in the fall. You can get package deal of tires and rims through Discounts Tires or Tire Rack. If you want meet up let me know I go over my experiences over last 8yrs with my ISF, what work what doesn't etc.

Last edited by Weapon F; 02-10-19 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus ISF with 126k miles. 3 year gap in service history. Asking $22k. Thoughts?