Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

This thread makes me want an ISF
Old 01-24-19, 11:21 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Regret selling my IS F? Not going to happen. Bought new, kept it 10+ years, and have no plan to sell it at all. I pondered what I would buy if I totaled it as a thought exercise, and couldn't come up with anything I really would appreciate the way I do my IS F. If anything, I'd probably buy another GS F because it does the daily driver well and with some effort, might feel close to what my IS F delivers. But SELL my IS F? Not likely any time soon. Supra will get sold before the IS F does.
You would sell the Supra over the ISF? That's saying a lot!

Last edited by t0e; 01-24-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 07:02 AM
BirgeyT1
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
That's what my wife drives! it's not a bad car...a good set of stickier tires would make it more fun but...yeah, I get it.

How long did it take before regret started setting in?
Like two weeks haha. I put BC coilovers, Volk CE28's, and the RL BBK on it so then I liked it for another couple months. Lack of power made it get boring really quick though.
Old 01-26-19, 09:13 AM
alex2192
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Love these kind of threads! I personally contemplated selling my 09 ISF about 2 years but as time goes by I'm happy i didn't. After purchasing my car in 2014 with 75 000km i started noticing condensation in my head lights... This kept burning my ballast and i was getting really frustrated with the way the car would look with dripping headlights... I fixed the issue twice but no matter how much i sealed them water would somehow get back in. I could not justify spending 3-4k CAD on headlights.... Luckily for me a 18-wheeler lost a load of ice off the roof and took out my front end (both headlights and front bumper). Since then i feel like every time i take the car out i get thumbs up, the ISF seems to be growing on people more and more. Love looking on Autotrader and only seeing 3 for sale in Canada.... Going to keep this car for as long as i can currently at 160 000km and enjoying every moment
Old 01-26-19, 12:40 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
You would sell the Supra over the ISF? That's saying a lot!
I had a Supra. Currently drive an IS-F.

Miss the Supra and much, much prefer it to the IS-F.

Old 01-26-19, 05:17 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Such a beautiful machine. A few weeks ago I saw a red one on the freeway and as expected, people were taking photos and giving the driver a thumbs up
Old 01-26-19, 09:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I have personal issues that make driving the Supra a whole lot less fun than when I bought it 21 years ago. If my body worked normally, I'd probably still love driving the Supra more, but three pedals on the track will never be for me again. Also, the fundamental design of the Supra is pretty dated. Even though the IS chassis has more flex, the only way to bring the Supra up to par is to replace the entire complement of suspension pieces with solid mounts instead of rubber bushings. If it made sense, I'd probably do that, but the real issue for me is no paddle shifting, so I'd rather replace the Supra with something more modern like a Mclaren 720S which makes all but a few of the most exotic Supras look slow in a straight line, but as soon as you hit the first turn, the Mclaren smokes anything with a Toyota/Lexus badge on it. And best of all, I don't need a good left foot to make it do it.

And yes, driving the Supra is always a little weird. Too many people think too hard about what it is and ask a million questions or want to race, or just drive like idiots around me.
Old 01-26-19, 09:13 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I have personal issues that make driving the Supra a whole lot less fun than when I bought it 21 years ago. If my body worked normally, I'd probably still love driving the Supra more, but three pedals on the track will never be for me again. Also, the fundamental design of the Supra is pretty dated. Even though the IS chassis has more flex, the only way to bring the Supra up to par is to replace the entire complement of suspension pieces with solid mounts instead of rubber bushings. If it made sense, I'd probably do that, but the real issue for me is no paddle shifting, so I'd rather replace the Supra with something more modern like a Mclaren 720S which makes all but a few of the most exotic Supras look slow in a straight line, but as soon as you hit the first turn, the Mclaren smokes anything with a Toyota/Lexus badge on it. And best of all, I don't need a good left foot to make it do it.

And yes, driving the Supra is always a little weird. Too many people think too hard about what it is and ask a million questions or want to race, or just drive like idiots around me.
I gave up three pedals due to a spinal injury. My left foot and hip move much slower now. I can still drive a manual, but not with speed nor finesse. I’m happy that the fast shifts of the ISF have satiated the need to shift gears.

I have thought about buying an R32-33 or a Supra, but It would hurt too much to drive fast, so I gave up that idea.

I doubt I would sell one if I had it though, especially a 1 owner. Once that’s gone, there’s no going back.
Old 01-26-19, 09:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I have the same problem - spinal injury in multiple locations. I've made improvements through some alternative therapies, but it's pretty unlikely I'll squat 300 lbs for 50 reps again. Ever.

My Supra is second owner. The first owner 1994 hardtop 6 speed unit was totaled by the ex-wife in 1995. Sadly someone rebuilt it. I said no way. Floor pan was creased. the one I have now is pretty much pristine, but high mileage.
Old 01-27-19, 12:17 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

I gave up three pedals due to a spinal injury. My left foot and hip move much slower now. I can still drive a manual, but not with speed nor finesse. I’m happy that the fast shifts of the ISF have satiated the need to shift gears.

I have thought about buying an R32-33 or a Supra, but It would hurt too much to drive fast, so I gave up that idea.

I doubt I would sell one if I had it though, especially a 1 owner. Once that’s gone, there’s no going back.
I have the same problem - spinal injury in multiple locations. I've made improvements through some alternative therapies, but it's pretty unlikely I'll squat 300 lbs for 50 reps again. Ever.

My Supra is second owner. The first owner 1994 hardtop 6 speed unit was totaled by the ex-wife in 1995. Sadly someone rebuilt it. I said no way. Floor pan was creased. the one I have now is pretty much pristine, but high mileage.
Wow, Lance and Jwconeil, I feel your pain Injured as well half my neck fusioned. Monthly tringer injection, thoracic issues, injuries from mid lumbar to S1, nerve issue with few other health problems to boot.

I've done multitude of spinal and hip injection, PT as well as other treatments. Same boat 3 pedals out of questions right now. My ISF is in semi retirement now like me. The F is in better shape than me right now. Being here on CL and other car Forums have help me keep my sanity. My current goals is to try to get as healthy as i can.

Last edited by Weapon F; 01-27-19 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 07:11 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I’m not a physician... but look into leaky gut syndrome and a healthy, anti inflammatory diet. I probably should have used a cane to walk for a while (was too proud)... now I walk normally two years later. Part of that recovery is my young age (33). It’ll never be normal, but recovery has been remarkable. Reducing inflammation and eating right has helped parts that normally don’t heal to recover (to a degree). The added benefits are tremendous (weight loss, skin quality, better sleep).

I wish you both great health and many miles of smiles.
Old 01-27-19, 04:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Also look into PRP and stem cell therapies. I went with Regenexx. I also do Egoscue. The two together have helped me completely avoid lumbar and cervical fusion.
Old 01-27-19, 06:07 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Also look into PRP and stem cell therapies. I went with Regenexx. I also do Egoscue. The two together have helped me completely avoid lumbar and cervical fusion.
Thanks for Info Lance and Jwconeil really appreciate, its been tough roads last few yrs.
Thanks
David

Last edited by Weapon F; 01-27-19 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 08:45 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Mclaren 720S which makes all but a few of the most exotic Supras look slow in a straight line, .
My Supra ran 10.3 in the 1/4....And it had zero exotic parts on it....and that was using a comically small (for a Supra) SP63GT turbo.

My build was laughably "normal", yet all parts were tested and tested (went through 4 converters before I found the right one) until my combo was perfect.

YMMV..

Quick Reply: Regrets on selling the ISF