Oil on pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 05:43 PM
T4runner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on pistons

Hello everyone,

While i was changing my plugs i was curious to see what my pistons look like. Most of the spark plug tubes were dry. Only the two nearest to the firewall had a little oil in it. Put a boroscope down and it looks pretty wet and dirty. Is this Normal? The picture below are from cylinder one, i checked cylinder two and it looks the same as one.

Last edited by T4runner; 01-18-19 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 06:46 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Normal I’d say. I had 3 of mine slightly wet with oil and I have perfect compression across all 8. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 01-19-19, 08:49 PM
T4runner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Normal I’d say. I had 3 of mine slightly wet with oil and I have perfect compression across all 8. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Thanks for the reply. Im wondering if the oil is leaking from the valves. Might pop the valve covers off and replace all the seals.
Old 01-19-19, 09:07 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by T4runner

Thanks for the reply. Im wondering if the oil is leaking from the valves. Might pop the valve covers off and replace all the seals.
No worries but it’s hard to say but if it was me I would just leave it and enjoy your car. If it drives fine and feels fine just change your plugs out I bought iridiums and call it a day. I’m FBO and drive my car pretty hard. Even the videos I seen of me racing others from behind my car doesn’t blow any smoke and I’m at 110k miles. I do keep an eye on my oil level.
Old 01-19-19, 11:50 PM
T4runner
Driver School Candidate

No worries but it’s hard to say but if it was me I would just leave it and enjoy your car. If it drives fine and feels fine just change your plugs out I bought iridiums and call it a day. I’m FBO and drive my car pretty hard. Even the videos I seen of me racing others from behind my car doesn’t blow any smoke and I’m at 110k miles. I do keep an eye on my oil level.
Thanks again for your input, i can sleep a little better at night. As of right i only have ppe headers because the stock manifold cracked on me. Everything else is stock, but im planning on getting an updated steering control unit because my steering gets a little notchy on the freeway. Everything else is great, really love the car.
Old 01-20-19, 10:05 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by T4runner

Thanks again for your input, i can sleep a little better at night. As of right i only have ppe headers because the stock manifold cracked on me. Everything else is stock, but im planning on getting an updated steering control unit because my steering gets a little notchy on the freeway. Everything else is great, really love the car.
Your welcome. My personal opinion is you don’t need it. I have penske coilovers, front figs camber arms, rr racing USRS, all figs adjustable arms in the rear and all poly bushings, front and rear strut brace. My ISF feels like a go-kart. I have an 08 Lexus ISF with the stock steering ecu. My steering feelings precise and sharp. I think the problem is the suspension and worn out bushings a lot of mine were cracked and you can feel were soft.
Old 01-22-19, 01:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Your welcome. My personal opinion is you don’t need it. I have penske coilovers, front figs camber arms, rr racing USRS, all figs adjustable arms in the rear and all poly bushings, front and rear strut brace. My ISF feels like a go-kart. I have an 08 Lexus ISF with the stock steering ecu. My steering feelings precise and sharp. I think the problem is the suspension and worn out bushings a lot of mine were cracked and you can feel were soft.
No, there is a problem with some of the '08 steering racks that makes the steering feel like it is sticking especially in a long constant radius turn. There is an LSB for it, but no one could qualify for it at this late date. Mine got better after replacing the steering ECU.
Old 01-22-19, 01:35 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, there is a problem with some of the '08 steering racks that makes the steering feel like it is sticking especially in a long constant radius turn. There is an LSB for it, but no one could qualify for it at this late date. Mine got better after replacing the steering ECU.
Exactly key word “some”. I felt the same way about replacing the steering Ecu and when I looked at my bushings and suspension is was all junk. My bushings were cracked and dry rotted. I had lots of play in my suspension and rear end. After going through all my suspension components and replacing everything my problem was fixed. Feels so much better wish the car came this sporty from the factory. I wonder if I would feel any difference with the changes I have now if I swapped in a 14 ISF steering ecu 🤔
Old 01-22-19, 01:43 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Exactly key word “some”. I felt the same way about replacing the steering Ecu and when I looked at my bushings and suspension is was all junk. My bushings were cracked and dry rotted. I had lots of play in my suspension and rear end. After going through all my suspension components and replacing everything my problem was fixed. Feels so much better wish the car came this sporty from the factory. I wonder if I would feel any difference with the changes I have now if I swapped in a 14 ISF steering ecu 🤔
All those suspension components add up quickly. I eventually want to build my suspension correctly. I priced out some stuff and was surprised.
Old 01-22-19, 01:50 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

All those suspension components add up quickly. I eventually want to build my suspension correctly. I priced out some stuff and was surprised.
Yes it’s very expensive. Dug the hole way to deep lol at this point I might as well keep digging haha. Next is swap out roof to delete the sunroof and RR racing SC.
Old 01-22-19, 02:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Who lowered the car and failed to set the bushings back to a neutral position? My car is over 10 years old and has over 160k miles on it. None of the rubber bushings are in bad shape at all. I will be replacing them with ball mounts, but none desperately need to be replaced.
Old 01-22-19, 02:56 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Who lowered the car and failed to set the bushings back to a neutral position? My car is over 10 years old and has over 160k miles on it. None of the rubber bushings are in bad shape at all. I will be replacing them with ball mounts, but none desperately need to be replaced.
Bushings were already shot prior to any work being (car was gone stock when I purchased) done and everything I did to my suspension was over a span of a week so who knows what kind of driving or treatment my car received prior to me.
Old 01-22-19, 06:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

All it takes is lowering without resetting the neutral point on the bushings and they'll die fairly quickly. Most guys who lower cars don't do this. They use big prybars to get things in position, then tighten things up at full droop, so some bushings are loaded one way, others another, and nothing is unloaded and normal ride height. Trashes bushings in very short order.
Old 01-22-19, 06:26 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

All it takes is lowering without resetting the neutral point on the bushings and they'll die fairly quickly. Most guys who lower cars don't do this. They use big prybars to get things in position, then tighten things up at full droop, so some bushings are loaded one way, others another, and nothing is unloaded and normal ride height. Trashes bushings in very short order.
Yes, that’s what I did on ramps after I installed everything but prior to that my car was stock and everything for the most part was shot suspension wise.
Old 01-22-19, 08:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Are you the original owner, or did you get yours subsequent to initial service date? Just wondering what could have trashed your bushings if the car was unaltered from stock until you worked on it. It has not been common here at all.

Quick Reply: Oil on pistons