Pre-Purchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 05:50 AM
Aetheryte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Purchase Inspection

Hey everyone,

I need your help, especially people who knows great mechanic in Phoenix, Arizona area. I am interested in buy a 2008 ISF with 81,000 miles on the odometer from a private seller. The car looks to be in a great shape; however, I still would like to get a pre-purchase inspection done before moving forward with it. I need advice on where I should get the inspection done. Should I just get it done at a local Lexus dealership? Or should I use an indecent mechanic. How much would it cost to get PPI done at Lexus dealership vs outside mechanic. Please keep in mind, the car has some mods such as borla exhaust, coilovers, after market rims (that’s it really). I do believe engine is stock. But anyways, would dealership do a pre-purchase inspection a modded car/ will they do a good job since car is not stock/mildly modded. Also any advice on what questions I should ask the seller and what to look for when I test drive the car and inspect it myself like come things/failure to look for in an ISF etc. Plesse in Phoenix, AZ area if you can throw up some names of some honest, trusted and awesome mechanics who can do/specialize in inspecting Lexus vehicles would help me out a lot too.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-19, 06:06 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Aetheryte
Hey everyone,

I need your help, especially people who knows great mechanic in Phoenix, Arizona area. I am interested in buy a 2008 ISF with 81,000 miles on the odometer from a private seller. The car looks to be in a great shape; however, I still would like to get a pre-purchase inspection done before moving forward with it. I need advice on where I should get the inspection done. Should I just get it done at a local Lexus dealership? Or should I use an indecent mechanic. How much would it cost to get PPI done at Lexus dealership vs outside mechanic. Please keep in mind, the car has some mods such as borla exhaust, coilovers, after market rims (that’s it really). I do believe engine is stock. But anyways, would dealership do a pre-purchase inspection a modded car/ will they do a good job since car is not stock/mildly modded. Also any advice on what questions I should ask the seller and what to look for when I test drive the car and inspect it myself like come things/failure to look for in an ISF etc. Plesse in Phoenix, AZ area if you can throw up some names of some honest, trusted and awesome mechanics who can do/specialize in inspecting Lexus vehicles would help me out a lot too.

Thanks!
See if you can get paperwork on the car to make sure it has the stuff done that's common - I made a list on my most recent post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10399080

Old 01-13-19, 10:40 PM
Swtnlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go onto the Lexus Drivers website and look up the VIN number. It will tell you the dealer service history of the car. You can see where the car goes off the grid or if the car had any prior issues. I paid about 260 in San Diego Lexus dealer for a PPI. I’ve also seen a couple other PPI’s done. It seems like its a hit or miss on the PPI. You will at least know where the car is at and what parts are aftermarket. I found the Lexus driver website to be more informative. I stayed away from cars that went off the grid/had multiple owners/had a bad service history, etc. Good luck!
Old 01-15-19, 02:07 PM
WhatThaF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need advice on where I should get the inspection done. Should I just get it done at a local Lexus dealership? Or should I use an indecent mechanic.
Highly recommend you avoid the indecent mechanic. The last one I sent my wife to tried to show her his probe.

Old 01-16-19, 08:06 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Ask friends/co-workers/etc for a solid, local mechanic. Prepare a list of stuff to have them check out and ask if they'll do that and basic PPI (and ask how much they want)...some stuff you can do yourself - like checking the doors/trunk/hood for vin stickers to make sure they're the originals (search for threads about it).
Old 01-16-19, 09:13 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I would speak to the seller see if he would be willing to splitting the cost of bring his car to Lexus dealership for inspection. It adds value to any potential buyer knowing his ISF has been certified buy lexus. So even if you decide not to buy car from seller it will make it easier for owner to sell his car with that certificate. That's how I would pitch it to him.
Old 04-09-19, 02:28 PM
GSridiin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for an inspector to check out an IS250 Sport at a dealer in San Diego (Miramar) can you refer me to the inspector you used? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Swtnlow
Go onto the Lexus Drivers website and look up the VIN number. It will tell you the dealer service history of the car. You can see where the car goes off the grid or if the car had any prior issues. I paid about 260 in San Diego Lexus dealer for a PPI. I’ve also seen a couple other PPI’s done. It seems like its a hit or miss on the PPI. You will at least know where the car is at and what parts are aftermarket. I found the Lexus driver website to be more informative. I stayed away from cars that went off the grid/had multiple owners/had a bad service history, etc. Good luck!
Old 04-09-19, 03:52 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

IS250? I wouldn't touch it a ten foot pole, try looking for an IS-F instead
Old 04-09-19, 04:55 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Too bad you are not in South AZ. I could help