IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

FIGS IS-F First Shoot of 2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 10:03 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts
Default FIGS IS-F First Shoot of 2019

After a long time on the lift wrapping of various developments in 2018: Ohlins ILX Shocks, finalizing side mount oil cooler for production, Ti midpipe and making a few new mounts for several customers, I got the F back on the road. A nice weather break in CO with 60 degrees and sunshine, so I decided to give the old 2008 a wash and take it up the nearby Lookout Mountain Rd, AKA "Home Touge" for some pics. Not a show car, but definitely a functional weapon on the road these days, I am glad to get it out to stretch its legs and enjoy the power and handling. Currently testing BC ER series 2-way dampers with Swift springs BC Forged 19" Wheels with 265/35 square Tri-Ace tire setup.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
The following 7 users liked this post by FIGS:
ChpEng (04-24-23), DaveGS4 (01-07-19), ISF4life (01-07-19), JT2MA71 (09-13-22), Neles (01-07-19), Rickna (04-25-23), SonicRob99 (04-24-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-19, 12:00 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Very nice pics
Old 01-07-19, 05:10 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Very nice.

Will you provide a little
more info on the oil cooler? How does it compare to other models that don’t require foglight removal? Would it provide too much cooling for a mostly street driven vehicle? How much does it add to oil capacity?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-19, 07:30 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Very nice.

Will you provide a little
more info on the oil cooler? How does it compare to other models that don’t require foglight removal? Would it provide too much cooling for a mostly street driven vehicle? How much does it add to oil capacity?

Thanks in advance!
Sure, I had a thread discussing it, but the basic idea is that you are getting fresh air mass to cool the oil vs sharing it with the AC condenser and the radiator. If you put the cooler in front of these 2, then you are preheating the air volume that will pass through the radiator and reduce its efficiency. The removal of the fog light is in order to get the most direct pressurization of the front of the cooler, even the smallest amount will aid in the airflow through the restricted core. We have measured 2 bars of temperature reduction during sustained lapping, but more importantly, we found that we hit an operation stability point where we could sustain hard lapping. The thermostatic sandwich plate ensures that the cooler is only in the circuit after the oil reaches ideal operating temperature because you are correct, you do not want the oil to be too cool, just like you do not want it to be too hot. We are using a smaller core because it is just enough for the test conditions we faced on track but offer a heavier core for dedicated race cars.

The product details are here: https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/ISFOILCO...h=oil%20cooler This core adds about 0.75 qts to the oil capacity if I recall. I would need to refer to my notes to confirm.

I started a design this year to create a smaller pressure duct to pull from under the front lip that should be effective for street cars. We have been so tied up with other things that I work on it when I get a chance. Just let me know if you have any other questions and I will answer them promptly.
Thanks, Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting

Last edited by FIGS; 01-07-19 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 07:35 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Car and pics look great, FIGS!
The following users liked this post:
FIGS (01-07-19)
Old 01-07-19, 11:19 AM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks awesome man, I love the oil cooler setup
Old 01-07-19, 02:12 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice to see your beast back on the road and you enjoying it
Old 01-07-19, 09:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Sure, I had a thread discussing it, but the basic idea is that you are getting fresh air mass to cool the oil vs sharing it with the AC condenser and the radiator. If you put the cooler in front of these 2, then you are preheating the air volume that will pass through the radiator and reduce its efficiency. The removal of the fog light is in order to get the most direct pressurization of the front of the cooler, even the smallest amount will aid in the airflow through the restricted core. We have measured 2 bars of temperature reduction during sustained lapping, but more importantly, we found that we hit an operation stability point where we could sustain hard lapping. The thermostatic sandwich plate ensures that the cooler is only in the circuit after the oil reaches ideal operating temperature because you are correct, you do not want the oil to be too cool, just like you do not want it to be too hot. We are using a smaller core because it is just enough for the test conditions we faced on track but offer a heavier core for dedicated race cars.

The product details are here: https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/ISFOILCO...h=oil%20cooler This core adds about 0.75 qts to the oil capacity if I recall. I would need to refer to my notes to confirm.

I started a design this year to create a smaller pressure duct to pull from under the front lip that should be effective for street cars. We have been so tied up with other things that I work on it when I get a chance. Just let me know if you have any other questions and I will answer them promptly.
Thanks, Mike
Mike - you need a composite guy to fab that thing in carbon fiber to lose the metal...I will be all over the version that retains the OEM fog light!
Old 01-08-19, 03:22 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Mike - you need a composite guy to fab that thing in carbon fiber to lose the metal...I will be all over the version that retains the OEM fog light!
Hey Mike, I concur with Lance design C/F under front lip would be perfect. I need my fogs were I live rainy, fog, snow on twisting roads with no lights.. For people that track more often then fog light setup my be better solution for them.
Keep up great work
David
Old 01-08-19, 07:38 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Originally Posted by Weapon F
Hey Mike, I concur with Lance design C/F under front lip would be perfect. I need my fogs were I live rainy, fog, snow on twisting roads with no lights.. For people that track more often then fog light setup my be better solution for them.
Keep up great work
David
Noted, but I am not sure I would pull the trigger on a CF mold for a piece that is unseen. It's a pretty straight fwd sheet metal piece to duct it downward or I can do a composite 3D print with our printer that would be nylon carbon matrix. I will put a little more time on it and see where I can get. Thanks for the feedback guys, the system really works well as designed so I have been hesitant to invest more engineering time on it without clear demand.
Mike
Old 01-08-19, 09:49 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I would like it to retain existing fog lights
Old 01-08-19, 11:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Noted, but I am not sure I would pull the trigger on a CF mold for a piece that is unseen. It's a pretty straight fwd sheet metal piece to duct it downward or I can do a composite 3D print with our printer that would be nylon carbon matrix. I will put a little more time on it and see where I can get. Thanks for the feedback guys, the system really works well as designed so I have been hesitant to invest more engineering time on it without clear demand.
Mike
That would be just fine with me. Doesn't need to be super pretty, just light and unlikely to break from vibration.
Old 01-08-19, 05:36 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I would like to retain fog lights as well. I think Fogs look good on this car.
Old 01-08-19, 05:47 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont care those fogs as long my F can breath freely! Nice pics!
Old 02-02-19, 10:24 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Mike, any photos the the new titanium mid-pipe ISF project?
Any update for Titanium exhaust?

Quick Reply: FIGS IS-F First Shoot of 2019