IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What is Needed to Road Course Reliably?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 11:55 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts
Default What is Needed to Road Course Reliably?

I was under the impression that the F can safely road course for many years in stock form. Then I saw a post where a newly supercharged engine blew, and a potential cause of engine failure was listed as formerly road coursing without upgraded coolers.

What is needed to road course the F reliably? I plan to keep the car for decades and i do not want to build the engine. Also, what should be done in the short term? Any brake fluid or pad recommendations? My brakes and suspension are stock except LCA bushings. I don’t care to go fast this year, I just want to keep the car in top shape and drive home safely afterward.
Old 12-28-18, 12:32 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

The ISF can safely road course for many years in stock form, there's at least one member who has said he's done over 25 track days in his ISF and near stock. I would go as far to say the ISF can safely road course for years in full bolt on setup. Obviously adding a supercharger will increase the likelihood of engine failure due to the added stress but you may not go that far down the modification road.

I would suggest normal maintenance be done to your car and check all fluids before a track day. I've ran 5 track days on my F using the stock brake fluid and not had issues and I run hard. I do run Project Mu HC800 pads when on track which I enjoy, there are more aggressive pads that you can run but these fair well for the beginner-intermediate driver though there are lots of people who have used the stock pads on track. Your stock rotors are fine for now but if you decide to continue tracking the car I would look into slotted rotors as the stock ones will eventually start forming cracks around the holes like mine did. My suspension setup is near stock, swift springs in the front only and RR-Racing USRS and I enjoy the setup. This is also my daily car so I need it to work after a track day which it has been doing for over a year of tracking, I drive to and from the tracks for several hours and no issues.
Old 12-28-18, 01:42 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I daily drive and track my ISF. I tracked in stock form for a year or two without issue. I used stock rotors, StopTech Sport pads (nice temp rating but average bite) and stock fluid as well as even all-season tires lol. Main thing when starting out is to have pads with at least 50% life left, as well as rotors and tires in good condition.

As you get faster and more aggressive, then you can start the upgrades. I'm not stock anymore (see my signature) and did a number of upgrades along the way which have been awesome.
@AndrewISF I am surprised you run HC800 pads with stock fluid. I did that at Putnam and boiled the brake fluid like an idiot and lost all braking. Thankfully it didn't happen until the cooldown lap or some really bad stuff would have happened. If you upgrade your pads, absolutely upgrade to a hi-temp fluid (I used Project Mu fluid with my HC800 pads) - it isn't worth the risk. FYI - swapping pads and rotors is easy too.
Another thing is oil temperatures. The ISF's stock oil cooler can't handle very aggressive track days. So I've learned to not take it to up to the redline all the time on the track and just back off 500 rpm or so and the oil temp still rises but not all of the way. Now that I track often enough and put lots of miles of the F, I need to look into the RR Racing oil cooler.

Other than that, normal maintenance is fine.
PM me if you have any more detailed questions if you like.
Old 12-28-18, 02:21 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I've ran on 3 different tracks with the Project Mu pads and stock brake fluid and haven't lost brakes on any of them though I do plan on upgrading to Motul 600 or 660 soon, just my experience. Luckily most of the courses in SoCal have decent run off and you'll just go off-roading in the dirt/rocks a bit if you go off track. I second what Lexicon72 said regarding the oil temps. I drive aggressively on track and if the ambient air temps are above 80 degrees then the engine oil with be at the max bar, flashing and you'll get a notification that the oil temp is high after about 5 laps above 4500RPMs and taking it to redline. This is my biggest gripe with the ISF and I'm dumbfounded Lexus didn't fix during the 7 years of the vehicles production, but that's a rant for another time. I usually stick to tracking in the late fall/winter/early spring to get the cooler temps but I'm glad to hear another F car is looking into tracking their vehicle on a road course, it's the most fun I have with my ISF!
Old 12-28-18, 02:28 PM
Jwconeil

It sounds like the oil cooler upgrade may be a worthwhile upgrade. I won’t push it hard. I’m FBO and going to drive relatively easy as I learn how to race. The car has more power than I currently know how to control at high speed corners.
Old 12-28-18, 02:46 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd recommend oil cooler, tires, brakes, AOS.
Old 12-28-18, 04:12 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Oh yeah...and join me at Mid Ohio on July 12 man! Only a couple hours away from you! (see my other thread)
Old 12-28-18, 06:33 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by lexicon72
Oh yeah...and join me at Mid Ohio on July 12 man! Only a couple hours away from you! (see my other thread)
I will probably be there!

Any Input in the figs versus RR racing oil coolers? There is a pretty big price difference.
Old 12-28-18, 07:49 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Don't know much about the Figs as it is newer. Looks like it is side mounted and uses a fog light housing to pull in air.