IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Considering 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Old 11-30-18, 06:16 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Hey Guys,

I've always loved the IS F. I'm now Looking to join the Porsche club and wanted to get your thoughts on the car below. Has low miles and the right color.

https://www.autonation.com/cars/WP0AD2A99HS167135

I think the price is a little on the high side so also what to get your thoughts. I'm wondering if anyone is in the area to check it out as it's located at Porsche Bellevue in Washington and I'm located in socal.

Appreciate any insight.

Last edited by Katin2; 11-30-18 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 07:54 AM
smaggs
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice cars, i just finished driving one from Canada to SoCal a couple weeks ago. Tough to compare against the ISF being AWD, forced induction and rear engine so a very different category but its FAST (i'm sure you already knew that). The PDK transmission put's our tranny to shame unfortunately and even just driving in sport auto mode in the Porsche the gear selection is great for some spirited driving. They go for about that much up in Canada i believe as well which would be something like $140k USD so it does seem high...might have some better feedback on the car itself over on the Renntech Porsche forums?
Old 11-30-18, 11:04 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

I posted up over there as well. I always liked the insight from the IS-F forum.
Old 11-30-18, 12:25 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Shows $185,000 for me and that seems really high...there are a few in socal on cargurus https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...#resultsPage=3 although not sure about exact color/options. I think it's absolutely worth waiting to find the exact one that's for you. I also think it's absolutely worth picking up another socal F driver to make sure the 911 is the right fit for you......

That car is stunning and I hope you live the dream!
Old 11-30-18, 02:42 PM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My older brother had one for 6 months before he got bored with it and sold it. His GT3 Touring shows up in December.

They are fantastic cars, but I don’t think they are $150k+ fantastic(his MSRP was $205k). He bought it slightly used for $178k and I simply couldn’t see the value. Great car that does everything exceptionally well, almost to the point of boredom. That said, I am a Viper owner so I like a bit of a white knuckle ride. The best thing any Turbo S owner could do it drive it as often as possible. The value in a car such as this is the fact that it does everything well, so it should be used for as many things as possible. Daily driving it as weather permits would make the ownership experience far more enjoyable than the “toy” car treatment of 2k miles per year.
Old 11-30-18, 09:57 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fstpassat
My older brother had one for 6 months before he got bored with it and sold it. His GT3 Touring shows up in December.

They are fantastic cars, but I don’t think they are $150k+ fantastic(his MSRP was $205k). He bought it slightly used for $178k and I simply couldn’t see the value. Great car that does everything exceptionally well, almost to the point of boredom. That said, I am a Viper owner so I like a bit of a white knuckle ride. The best thing any Turbo S owner could do it drive it as often as possible. The value in a car such as this is the fact that it does everything well, so it should be used for as many things as possible. Daily driving it as weather permits would make the ownership experience far more enjoyable than the “toy” car treatment of 2k miles per year.
That's exactly it this will be a daily driver as I feel like that's what these cars are made for and then sum.
Old 11-30-18, 09:58 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Shows $185,000 for me and that seems really high...there are a few in socal on cargurus https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...#resultsPage=3 although not sure about exact color/options. I think it's absolutely worth waiting to find the exact one that's for you. I also think it's absolutely worth picking up another socal F driver to make sure the 911 is the right fit for you......

That car is stunning and I hope you live the dream!
If I can make the numbers work you got a deal. I'm not sure about this autonation no negotiation.
Old 12-01-18, 09:03 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Love mine, 9 second car on simple bolt-on setup - stock turbos, pump fuel. One of the best and most reliable supercars built - pick one up used and its also a great investment.
Old 12-01-18, 10:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

What do you find appealing about this car? If you DD this, its resale valuation will drop like a rock in a deep pool. What are you expecting to get from this purchase?

FWIW, I understand where you are, I am looking at a McLaren 720S as my next car because I am not interested in second place (the first loser to cross the finish line) and I find myself in a place where this isn't unreasonable. I love my IS F, but it will never do what the McLaren will do.

Also, FWIW, no amount of "stance" or carbon fibre bits will close the gap on what one could reasonably expect from an IS F vs. a McLaren. They live in different worlds.
Old 12-02-18, 05:51 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

No argument on turning an ISF into a McLaren. Apples and oranges.

Very, very sexy apples and oranges!
Old 12-02-18, 10:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I won't be selling the F. I still need a 4 door daily, and it does this so well, I have no plans to remove it from the garage.
Old 12-02-18, 12:08 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I won't be selling the F. I still need a 4 door daily, and it does this so well, I have no plans to remove it from the garage.
This is why the F is so special. It’s a reliable 4 door supercar. It can be tracked, raced, and get 26 mpg on the way home with kids in the back. It’ll do this for 300k with basic regular maintenance. It can’t compare to a MCLaren, but it definately looks at home on the same track.
Old 12-02-18, 07:09 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Mclaren's depreciate at the same/higher rate than a 911 turbo. Just buy a 2014 for $100k, put 10k into it and laugh when you hit 177-180mph in the 1/2. Highest Tune/Bolt-on 720 won't get there on it's best day. Trust me, I know - I'm at shift sector every event in CA and take them consistently - the owners just never want to be videotaped . Different story on track unless you have GT3 arms, etc.
Old 12-02-18, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Drag racing is too boring. Lots of waiting around for a few seconds of fun, then more waiting again. I'm more interested in running at the local SE tracks like Carolina Motorsports Park, Atlanta Motorsports Park, maybe Road Atlanta if I can get comfortable with turn 12, Skip Barber in Alabama, etc... I've been around Roebling Road in a GT3, and I have a huge respect for what Porsche brings to the table. Just looking for something unusual and very fast that will go around a road course and challenge my best performance.
Old 12-02-18, 09:14 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to lose your ***. If you're rich enough not to care fair enough but a 991.1 is 98.9% the same car and clean ones with 7-10k miles are going for 110-115k? The 992 just got released which means the 992 Turbo comes out next year and 991.2 TTS's are going to drop like a rock.

Personally i'd save the 70k (and the other 30k in depreciation you'll get hit with in 24 months) and get a 991.1 TTS and call it a day. Less depreciation, same performance, same looks, same interior. Chuck a COBB tune on the engine and their new PDK tune and call it a day. Everyone says you need the GT3 but put a set of Sport Cup 2's on it and watch it eat GT3's all day long tuned or untuned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S