IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ordered Michelin PS4S's from Costco

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 06:30 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ordered Michelin PS4S's from Costco

So I ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's from Costco. 245/35/19 for the front and 275/30/19 for the rear. Yesterday I dropped the car off and about an hour later they car me telling me I ordered the wrong size for the car. I go back to the counter and tell them that's the size I want to put on. They tell me it's more that 3% larger than the OEM tires so they can't install them. Has anyone had this happen before? I got a refund and will ordering them from Tire Rack and installed elsewhere.
Old 10-11-18, 06:35 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never heard of that but I am taking a wild guess that it could be a liability clause in their policy.
Old 10-11-18, 06:46 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a similar experience at NTB
Old 10-11-18, 06:47 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... Costco has gotten strict with ordering/installation of tires and doesn't like to install anything other that manufacture recommended sizing, load/speed rated tires.

You can still purchase from them, would just have to take to a different shop for installation is all.

I still like to purchase from them because they have good deals time to time, but I'll just purchase the tires without telling them application and pick-up tires and go somewhere else.

They must have been hit with a lawsuit or two and ruined it for everyone.

Last edited by clifftrail; 10-11-18 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-11-18, 08:23 AM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Discount Tire will do something similar. They refused to install/order a tire for me because the weight/load wasn't the required spec, even though I've been running the same tire for 3-4 years (fronts on my mr2 don't really wear). They said it was a safety issue. Funny thing is I had a blowout one day and had the car taken to the nearest discount tire and when they installed the new tire they never removed the blown out side wall from the brake rotor. So I told the guy, so you won't sell me a tire for "safety reasons" but you'll let me driveway with a blown out side wall hanging on/in my brake rotors. Needless to say, I've never been back to that place ever since. Thankfully I noticed and borrowed a knife from some guy at the gas station and cut it out.

"I'm sorry to bother you sir, but you look like someone that probably has a knife. Do you have one I can borrow real quick (explained the situation)?" "What kind of knife do you need, I got a few of them in my truck". One of the few times stereotyping actually paid off haha.
Old 10-11-18, 08:24 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam's Club by my house told me the same. They wouldn't install bigger tire on stock wheel and wouldn't install tires on aftermarket wheels neither. As mentioned, it has to be due to liability. Just buy and install them at another place.

Last edited by kbtoiz; 10-11-18 at 08:25 AM. Reason: E: a word
Old 10-11-18, 12:12 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Costco will only mount and install tires that are OEM sizes. What I've done in the past was just purchase the tires, since there are rebates and good stuff attached to the transaction, and had them mounted elsewhere. Only downside is having to transport four tires to a preferred tire shop. But I for sure would not want 225/255 MP4S after seeing how great handling has improved with upsized tires.
Old 10-11-18, 01:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

My local NTB will install anything I ask them to put on a rim. They also let me stand in the shop and guide the alignment process so I get the numbers I want. Sad that all these companies are making it difficult to get a decent price for rubber and get it installed, but I am not surprised at all. Many companies are developing extreme risk aversion at the hands of their legal teams - I sell enterprise computer security services, so I see lots of it daily.
Old 10-11-18, 01:35 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My local NTB will install anything I ask them to put on a rim. They also let me stand in the shop and guide the alignment process so I get the numbers I want. Sad that all these companies are making it difficult to get a decent price for rubber and get it installed, but I am not surprised at all. Many companies are developing extreme risk aversion at the hands of their legal teams - I sell enterprise computer security services, so I see lots of it daily.
The only one who will do whatever i ask is my Lexus dealer, and the local Toyota dealer .. they don't give two ****s about what rubber i want on the car.
Costco pissed me off last time i took the F, they said they wouldn't mount the tires because what i brought in was Y rated and not (Y) rated .

i'm like sir, the car can't even go 180+ in its current form.. they lost my lexus valve caps and put my old tires back on the rim smh.

lobux i don't sell services, but i'm a information assurance engineer ... fancy for risk analyst ... and we have some crazy tight risk tolerances that dont even make sense man smh.
Old 10-11-18, 02:29 PM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Although it's not the most convenient, I just bring the wheels loose to where-ever I'm buying tires from. They don't need to know what car its going on, I've just got 4 wheels in the back of my truck/suv that need rubber.
Old 10-11-18, 02:34 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I go to America's tire Co. Never had an issue. Always call the sizes and type of tires in, they call me when in stock and ready to install.
Old 10-11-18, 02:46 PM
Prezajf
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

not to get off topic but does anybody believe in the whole Costco Michelin conspiracy?
Old 10-11-18, 02:47 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Firestone has never given me a problem about tire or wheel size.
Old 10-11-18, 05:54 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Prezajf
not to get off topic but does anybody believe in the whole Costco Michelin conspiracy?
What's that?
Old 10-11-18, 06:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The idea that the big box discounters (Costco, Sam's, etc) get a lower quality tire with the same name on it so they can sell it for a lower price. IOW, Michelin makes tires of a lesser quality for Costco and Sam's with the same branding as what you would buy from a major tire retailer. I have heard this before but never buy tires at Costco or Sams, so I've never really dug into it to find an answer. My local NTB does so many righteous things for me, I would spend an extra $100 on a set of tire with them just because - like when I got my 2014 rims refinished and they mounted and balanced all four wheels free. I asked to pay, and got, "Just come back when you need tires." I cross shop them with Tire Rack and they're always within a couple of dollars. One time, they couldn't get the tires I wanted and just had me ship direct to them from Tire Rack. They got me 100%. No point in wasting any time going anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Ordered Michelin PS4S's from Costco