IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buying IS-F: Anyone recognize this car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 11:25 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

damn 20 grand? I saw one in my area with 125k miles listed at dealer for $25k.
Old 06-28-18, 07:51 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

What wheels are those? They look like forged ones I've seen before. It also appears that it has hks ssm exhuast which is not cheap. Looks like tasteful mods. I say check it out in person and if it checks out and you don't intend on reselling soon make an offer. Clean title?
Old 06-29-18, 05:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FinLIFE
What wheels are those? They look like forged ones I've seen before. It also appears that it has hks ssm exhuast which is not cheap. Looks like tasteful mods. I say check it out in person and if it checks out and you don't intend on reselling soon make an offer. Clean title?
20" Stance SF03.

And yes it does appear to have an HKS SSM on it. Another pro... Heh.

Title is clean minus 2 minor accidents. Not rebuilt.
Old 06-29-18, 04:20 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll easily find a gem, especially in FL without all the red flags if you hold out for a little longer. I wouldn't buy that one for anywhere near that price....
Old 07-01-18, 09:07 PM
Avalon786
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like all the others said, I'd pass on this!
There are better deals to be had.
Old 07-02-18, 09:13 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Thanks, Fellas...

I've been scouring everything within 700 miles and there's not a lot. The service records really do show true colors, thank god for that resource. One showed the dealer had removed the heads due to a ticking. Another showed replacement of oil pan, tranny pan, gas tank, 2 wheels and the control arms on one side... Uh... that one seems like it went airborne.

Currently I'm looking at this one:

https://armadamotors.us/inventory/37...9-Lexus-IS%20F

Don't want a white one but the rest looks good. Service and Carfax match up and seems like a solid car. Last owner put VERY few miles on it. Either a 3rd car or there's some funny odo business there.

I'll be vacationing near this car on the weekend. Might have a look. Price wise, perhaps 23k or so out the door? I hate dealing at these used car traps. Blech.
Old 07-02-18, 06:13 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

That car is listed at 29and you plan to get it for 23 out the door, which is technically like 21,500. You may get a grand or so off. I doubt he has much markup in it. These cars are expensive. Nobody has a lot of mark up anymore due to the internet.
Old 07-02-18, 08:26 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
That car is listed at 29and you plan to get it for 23 out the door, which is technically like 21,500. You may get a grand or so off. I doubt he has much markup in it. These cars are expensive. Nobody has a lot of mark up anymore due to the internet.
^^^
Should start looking at the is350 if $20-$23k for a perfectly condition car is your budget. ISF doesn't seem like the car for you. Maintenance on a $20k F will show it's hand to you. Better be ready for it.,.
​​​​
v.
Old 07-02-18, 11:06 PM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Thanks, Fellas...

I've been scouring everything within 700 miles and there's not a lot. The service records really do show true colors, thank god for that resource. One showed the dealer had removed the heads due to a ticking

Isf have the issue with clunking sounds while running. Even tho it has been confirmed as normal and than as not normal... everyone seem to have it and those who have taken it to the dealer have brought back amazing reviews of car driving smoother and faster overall by the butt dyno. So if they fixed that ticking sound, u might be in for a treat...
Old 07-03-18, 05:38 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
KBB lists this car at $23 to $26k at a dealer with a fair purchase price of $25k. So starting negotiations at $23k doesn't seem that crazy. Seems to me the dealer is asking a lot for a 2009. The many ads I've seen have much lower askings.

Trade-in on this same car is 18-21k so there's enough meat on the bone for the dealer if we settle at $25k. They don't get hosed on trade-ins. It's the other way around.

Besides, it's been for sale since February (5 months). I thought ISF's were supposed to sell in days? This all points to he's asking too much.

Originally Posted by Vitveet
^^^
Should start looking at the is350 if $20-$23k for a perfectly condition car is your budget. ISF doesn't seem like the car for you. Maintenance on a $20k F will show it's hand to you. Better be ready for it.,.
​​​​
v.
Haha come on man. 350 is not happening. I never said I wanted perfect condition, just proper service history. Plus, I'm a Master Tech specializing in Lexus/Toyota, I think I can handle the maint on an IS-F. I've never paid a mechanic in my life and I've had quite the long list of modified cars over the last 25 years. Plus I was cross-shopping used Porsches. You think IS-F maintenance scares me if I'm looking at old Porsches? Now THOSE are scary prospects!

Thanks for the feedback, fellas.
Old 07-03-18, 05:40 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xaker777

Isf have the issue with clunking sounds while running. Even tho it has been confirmed as normal and than as not normal... everyone seem to have it and those who have taken it to the dealer have brought back amazing reviews of car driving smoother and faster overall by the butt dyno. So if they fixed that ticking sound, u might be in for a treat...
If I remember right that car had bad valve guides in it and needed new ones on only one side. I found that very strange. Makes one wonder what kind of life that car had.
Old 07-05-18, 06:35 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, Fellas...

I've been scouring everything within 700 miles and there's not a lot. The service records really do show true colors, thank god for that resource. One showed the dealer had removed the heads due to a ticking. Another showed replacement of oil pan, tranny pan, gas tank, 2 wheels and the control arms on one side... Uh... that one seems like it went airborne.

Currently I'm looking at this one:

https://armadamotors.us/inventory/37...9-Lexus-IS%20F

Don't want a white one but the rest looks good. Service and Carfax match up and seems like a solid car. Last owner put VERY few miles on it. Either a 3rd car or there's some funny odo business there.

I'll be vacationing near this car on the weekend. Might have a look. Price wise, perhaps 23k or so out the door? I hate dealing at these used car traps. Blech.

Heh $23k, you crazy dude. I have seen auction prices vs sale prices from a dealer. They don't make that much money on a sub $20k car. Yes it might be priced high but its in FL so maybe other FL dealers were in a bidding war for the car?
Old 07-15-18, 07:41 AM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to be around the low 20's.

Carfax says the accidents were light. Of course I'll be going over the body with a fine tooth comb. Anything I don't like and I walk.

Okay the dipstick thing. It had the Sikky dipstick at some point, and according to the service info, the Lexus dealership noted an oil leak from the dipstick tube. They removed the aftermarket tube and tried a new OEM one. That didn't fit so they cut the aftermarket one shorter and capped it off. This way it fits at the right angle and now seals. So it's not open to the atmosphere, as that would make a mess. It has to be sealed. All this was actually explained in the service records from Lexus.

The fix here would be a new tube from Sikky.

Not a great thing as I can't visually check the oil for level and condition nor grab a sample for testing. Kinda flying blind there.

As for price, it bluebooks around $20k, which was going to be my offer provided nothing else showed up. I figure the mods can add a little, and the minor accidents and cons can take away some. So around KBB or just under should be about right. $19 or $20k in that area? Does that seem more reasonable? I wasn't game for asking price. I know cleaner ones are available out there.
If you're trying to protray now that you are a mastwr of looking at cars by saying you'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb and anything you don't like you walk. LMFAO...you like cars that were in accidents then by all means buy it. Plus if you knew that much aboht cars as you state you wouldn't be asking for everyones opinion on what "YOU" should buy.
Old 07-15-18, 08:11 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rjfjdudj
If you're trying to protray now that you are a mastwr of looking at cars by saying you'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb and anything you don't like you walk. LMFAO...you like cars that were in accidents then by all means buy it. Plus if you knew that much aboht cars as you state you wouldn't be asking for everyones opinion on what "YOU" should buy.
LOL Welcome to Club Lexus. Not sure where you're coming from but around here we're friendlier than the typical car forum.

I don't claim to be a master of anything. Plus the thread was to see if anyone here had recognized the car to corroborate my findings. Note the thread title.

Minor accidents don't scare me. A replaced bumper cover doesn't condemn a car in my eyes if everything else is good.

Car was passed on 3 weeks ago anyway. Thread is dead.
Old 07-16-18, 09:17 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

The cleaner Fs may sit a while because of high prices FYI, but they are still worth it. It just is waiting for the rarer buyer that recognizes how rare a clean F is. The car I just bought was for sale for months. It had interest every week but nobody willing to pay enough. It was a 1 owner, dealer maintained 2013 Florida car. I personally feel like I got the deal of the century being that only 121 were sent here in 2013. You can find an F for 23 out the door, but it’ll have 100k plus miles and 5 previous owners. Still will probably be a great car. Good luck in your search.
The following users liked this post:
CleanSC (07-16-18)

Quick Reply: Buying IS-F: Anyone recognize this car?