IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buying IS-F: Anyone recognize this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 03:44 PM
zpletcher
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Good thoughts. I am paying cash. And as a master tech I have no issue with a car that needs work. If it needs the valley plate, I'll do it myself. Rather not do it, but I will if it comes to it. This would be a 3rd play car for me so downtime is fine ordering new injectors and seals, heh.

I hear you on the owners. That's one thing I found strange. The car has had six owners at least. Suspiciously sounds like it has some expensive issue and no one wants to address it. Valley plate? Bad motor? And it's been to an auction once. What dealer sends an IS-F to an auction? Perhaps further indicates some sort of issue.

Next week I'm going on vacation to the area where this car is, totally by coincidence. It would be about an hour out from our hotel. I had figured I have a look, and if it's good, we'll make arrangements afterwards. He's got a lien on the car so I can't take it right there which is probably a good thing haha. Maybe first I'll see how flexible he is on price. If he won't consider $20k, I likely won't even bother going to see it.

Side note: I am cross shopping Porsche Caymans as well. Tho leaning IS-F as I'm a Toyota guy since my first car. However, I test drove a Cayman, and I got HOOKED. Wow. What a ride. Those flat sixes are just heavenly. First gen Caymans are easy to work on and real simple machines. However if you get one with a bad motor, it's over. Never less than 10k for a rebuild, provided your core is rebuildable. Fun fact: the Porsche engine computers have an overrev counter, where you can see how many times the car was redlined, how far past the red it's gone each time, and when it happened. Overrevs are pretty much the only abuse these engines don't take too well. Saved my butt on one car I was looking at.
Get the Cayman and report back.. Ha!! I am curious.
Old 07-19-18, 06:12 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I thought of the new cayman for a toy. I think they are called the 714 or something like that. Very cool little car!
Old 07-19-18, 11:51 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
LOL Welcome to Club Lexus. Not sure where you're coming from but around here we're friendlier than the typical car forum.

I don't claim to be a master of anything. Plus the thread was to see if anyone here had recognized the car to corroborate my findings. Note the thread title.

Minor accidents don't scare me. A replaced bumper cover doesn't condemn a car in my eyes if everything else is good.

Car was passed on 3 weeks ago anyway. Thread is dead.
Nothing of value to add at this point...but good god you handled that well. Either that was a massive, deliberate troll job and I give it 9/10 for outright aggression....or some maniac genuinely had beef with you because they did a ****ty job reading the earlier posts and thought you were gloating or something.

Either way, my hat's off...
Old 07-20-18, 01:02 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zpletcher
Get the Cayman and report back.. Ha!! I am curious.
If you like to drive, as in actually drive a car to feel and be a part of the human-mechanical connection to the road, I highly recommend you try a manual one. Just find one at a dealer near you and give it a shot. It's really something.

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I thought of the new cayman for a toy. I think they are called the 714 or something like that. Very cool little car!
First gens are the 987. Pretty reliable cars (with some few exceptions like any car) without the over stuff of tech like modern stuff. Still as an analog experience as you're gonna get without buying something really outdated.

But you just snagged that sweet F in the classifieds so you're good to go for a while, I think! Congrats are in order for sure!

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Nothing of value to add at this point...but good god you handled that well. Either that was a massive, deliberate troll job and I give it 9/10 for outright aggression....or some maniac genuinely had beef with you because they did a ****ty job reading the earlier posts and thought you were gloating or something.

Either way, my hat's off...
LOL thanks. I've been on CL for way too long and even longer on other forums to really tear into someone with zero reading comprehension or like you said obviously trolling. Just a quick nudge into the right direction of understanding is about the limit of my desire to respond.
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 03:49 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Thanks. I love my F. I was considering the Porsche before I decided on the F. I have had an IS350 for about 18 months and it’s one of my favorite platforms. I may sell it soon only because I literally never drive it... but she led me to my F obsession.