IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Replace front OEM Bridgestone RE-050A tires with something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 05:02 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Firehawks here as well, best tire for the money.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
Or you get the USRS installed and 4 Firehawks for the price of the other two sets you were considering before learning about the Firehawks. Boom, double win!
You make a good point. If I do decide on the bushings, would it be better to opt for the Figs version with the 80 durometer rating because it is less harsh? Figs LCA 80 durometer

Last edited by sellme; 06-24-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 07:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^The Search Function led me here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a-bushing.html

Lou
Old 06-24-18, 07:36 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PS 4S, they give you the confidence you need! I've been using them for awhile now and never felt that I need something else during spirited driving
Old 06-24-18, 08:43 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sellme
^^^^ Thank you for your input. I've read a lot of complaints about still getting inner tire wear with the FIGS and RR Racing, so I've decided not to do it. Plus, with installation, it'll run $500.

Also, would it be better to run a little toe-in to offset the car's dynamic toe-out when braking?
Forgot to mention, I was running the RR Racing USRS with zero toe. For my car, running it within factory spec alignment range was not sufficient, it had to be zero toe. Prior to the USRS, I had a severe inner tire problem with steel showing on the inner edges of my Michelins. I installed the S04s with USRS and still used factory specs for the alignment and had less inner tire wear, but I still had wear. Finally, I went with the exactly zero toe setting after recommendations on the forum here with the Indy 500s. Even wear across the tire was noticed after two trips to the shop for balancing (~9000 miles).
Old 06-24-18, 11:08 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

There is new alternative to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 it's new General Gmax RS. I was looking to replace my existing tires with Firehawk Indy 500 the only problem is 255 35-19F will not be available for at least 60 days or more. And after replacing 2 set of pss , PS2 and now my current set tire all due to road hazards and poor road conditions bubbles on the side walls,Expansion Joints that had lifted up that I've torn my PS2s, recently the jagged pothole not cut my front tire and took a chunk my rear tire. I've spent thousands replacing tires prematurely. Since the Car spends 90% on local higways parkeays etc I would be happy with tires that can give me 8/10 performance similar to the top tier tires out there such as PS4s but without the expense associated with them.

A tech at tiretack told me of brand new tire that just came out that they recently tested tires week prior that he felt were on par with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. All new General Gmax RS. And after speaking to three different technicians from tirerack on different days they all highly recommended the G Max RS they all stated it was comprable to the Firehawk but they all felt it had better wet traction with equal ride comfort one of the tech of felt Firehawk had a slight Edge in the dry but not much. The Genrals are made by Continental they come with it 45 day return policy if you're unhappy with them you can exchange them for another set of General or Continental Tires if I'm not happy with him I will exchange them for the Continental extremes. Price-wise there right on par with the Firestone Indy 500. They also took second place in Sema for best innovative new tire for 2018 they will also be coming on as Factory Equipment Tires on for new Saleen Mustang with 715hp G MaxRS are 360 AAA Y 186mph rated tires that are 2pounds lighter than the Firestone Indy 500 and the Michelin PS4s Heres just few links some I from Hotrod, Automobile and one other.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/gener...ires-are-made/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/pu...s-to-the-test/

i purchased these tire and will start thread once I have them mount this week.

Last edited by Weapon F; 06-24-18 at 11:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Weapon F:
AndrewISF (06-25-18), Helo58 (06-25-18), MileHIFcar (06-25-18), redspencer (06-27-18)
Old 06-25-18, 10:46 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^The Search Function led me here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a-bushing.html

Lou
...which is why I asked the question about the 80 durometer. That thread only has people assuming the 80 would be more forgiving, but no one has actually posted a real-world review on it. I don't know if forum members have bought it.
Old 06-25-18, 10:57 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
There is new alternative to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 it's new General Gmax RS. I was looking to replace my existing tires with Firehawk Indy 500 the only problem is 255 35-19F will not be available for at least 60 days or more.
A tech at tiretack told me of brand new tire that just came out that they recently tested tires week prior that he felt were on par with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. All new General Gmax RS. And after speaking to three different technicians from tirerack on different days they all highly recommended the G Max RS they all stated it was comprable to the Firehawk but they all felt it had better wet traction with equal ride comfort one of the tech of felt Firehawk had a slight Edge in the dry but not much. The Genrals are made by Continental they come with it 45 day return policy if you're unhappy with them you can exchange them for another set of General or Continental Tires if I'm not happy with him I will exchange them for the Continental extremes. Price-wise there right on par with the Firestone Indy 500. They also took second place in Sema for best innovative new tire for 2018 they will also be coming on as Factory Equipment Tires on for new Saleen Mustang with 715hp G MaxRS are 360 AAA Y 186mph rated tires that are 2pounds lighter than the Firestone Indy 500 and the Michelin PS4s Heres just few links some I from Hotrod, Automobile and one other.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/gener...ires-are-made/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/pu...s-to-the-test/

i purchased these tire and will start thread once I have them mount this week.
Please let us know!

BTW, on tirerack, they're about $150 more ($850 vs $700) than the Firehawks, at least for all four in the OEM sizes. But theres a $60 rebate on the Firehawks. I'm not sure if tires that are on backorder can be ordered.
Old 06-25-18, 11:48 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking forward to hearing your review on the G-Max RS. In 255/275 setup them and the Firehawks are basically the same price on TireRack. The reviews look promising and yes, the lower tire weight, 2 pounds in front and 4 pounds in back vs. the Firehawks is good along with a higher speed rating, Y-186MPH vs. W-168MPH, and mileage warranty could make this the tire to beat in this segment.

Do you have experience with the Indy 500s for us to get a good back to back review?
Old 06-25-18, 11:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

...which is why I asked the question about the 80 durometer. That thread only has people assuming the 80 would be more forgiving, but no one has actually posted a real-world review on it. I don't know if forum members have bought it.
I know of no one that has tried both and can give a real world review of the differences. The closest is Post #31, but sadly that is the last post from that forum member.

Lou
Old 06-25-18, 12:05 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
I know of no one that has tried both and can give a real world review of the differences. The closest is Post #31, but sadly that is the last post from that forum member.

Lou
Do you know of anyone that has installed the 80? That thread doesn't have anyone that did.
Old 06-25-18, 10:00 PM
Weapon F

Please let us know!

BTW, on tirerack, they're about $150 more ($850 vs $700) than the Firehawks, at least for all four in the OEM sizes. But theres a $60 rebate on the Firehawks. I'm not sure if tires that are on backorder can be ordered.
On Tirerack there is there is $1 difference in price between Indy 500 and G Max RS in size that I'm interested in which is 255/35/19F & 275/35/19R, In 255/35/19 size as of right now from Tirerack up to 60 day wait or longer for this size. I called every Firestone dealer in tristate area and 10 different online tire retailer's NO one had that size.

Old 06-25-18, 11:22 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
Looking forward to hearing your review on the G-Max RS. In 255/275 setup them and the Firehawks are basically the same price on TireRack. The reviews look promising and yes, the lower tire weight, 2 pounds in front and 4 pounds in back vs. the Firehawks is good along with a higher speed rating, Y-186MPH vs. W-168MPH, and mileage warranty could make this the tire to beat in this segment.

Do you have experience with the Indy 500s for us to get a good back to back review?
From Articles and having conversations with the tech guys over a tirerack these two tires seem to be very close the g-max RS seem to have better wer performance, similar comfort ride, better mileage and maybe slightly behind the Indy 500 in the dry performance but not by much. Unfortunately I never had a chance to experience the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 I've had PSS, PS2, PS4, CONTI DSW, Blizzak WS 4S, bridgestone's S0 4 pole positions, Sumitomo HRZ III that are probably Close to Indy 500 price wise but not performance wise but not bad tire. The indy 500 has changed tire game lets see what GMax RS can do. For price if these tire can perform as well as the Indy 500 and give you an 8 to 9 performance out of a 10 and that 10 being the pack leader the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for less than half price that would be something. Here another article I found regarding the Gmax RS. What's interesting about these reviews they were all done on the same day on the same track with same road conditions just three different reviewers.
http://www.tirereview.com/general-ti...mmer-uhp-tire/
Old 06-25-18, 11:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Anyone noticed that the General Tire has a higher speed rating? "Y" vs "W". And a higher traction rating "AA" vs "A".

Lou
Old 06-26-18, 06:59 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Option 4 for sure. I am currently running S-04 PPs and am happier with those than any the others I have run in 10 years of ownership. Definitely spend the money on some lower control arm bushings for the simple sake of saving money on tires and then LOVE them for all the other benefits like better braking control, better steering response and increased stability. I preferred the RR Racing USRS design due to the increased caster designed into the brackets. But really the tire and braking benefit will come from any vendors LCA bushings.
Old 06-26-18, 07:11 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
On Tirerack there is there is $1 difference in price between Indy 500 and G Max RS in size that I'm interested in which is 255/35/19F & 275/35/19R, In 255/35/19 size as of right now from Tirerack up to 60 day wait or longer for this size. I called every Firestone dealer in tristate area and 10 different online tire retailer's NO one had that size.
I was told the same thing about the 255s. I was thinking about just installing the 225 fronts with the Firestones and wait for the 255 rears. But since you mentioned the Generals, I'll wait for your review this weekend. I hope they are comparable to the Firestones in terms of noise and comfort, which is something those articles didn't get into (and may be a bad sign).

Last edited by sellme; 06-26-18 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Replace front OEM Bridgestone RE-050A tires with something else?