New to the club!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 09:14 AM
VangelicX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the club!

Hi everyone,
Im new to the club and soon to be an ISF owner. I've been on the prowl for one quite sometime now, just recently 2 popped up. I live on hawaii, so not too many isf on island. This is my one chance to grab one of these bad boys before it's gone. I need some input on which one I should get, one is a 2008 black with 45k miles with coilovers and the other is 2011 white with 82k miles and some aesthetic modifications (see pics below). Both are around the same price at 29k. Let me know what you guys think. I plan on picking one up next week

Old 06-18-18, 11:48 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my obsidian black 2008 ISF for 29k and change with only 41k miles last year.
They are both great choices, but do you really want a newer car with 82k miles? vs an older car with roughly half the miles? I say go for the 2008... but I just like the low mileage, closer to stock, and the dashboard design.

What is more important to you though?
Old 06-18-18, 04:55 PM
VangelicX
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm more towards the low mileage. Gonna check out the car today and see the condition of car is. Anything I should be aware of when I'm doing my inspection? I know it's a first gen, so there must be some things i should be looking out for. According to pics it got some curbed wheels, but that shwould be an easy fix than having body damage.
Old 06-18-18, 06:00 PM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VangelicX
Yeah, I'm more towards the low mileage. Gonna check out the car today and see the condition of car is. Anything I should be aware of when I'm doing my inspection? I know it's a first gen, so there must be some things i should be looking out for. According to pics it got some curbed wheels, but that shwould be an easy fix than having body damage.
I am not an expert by any means, still learning much about my F. However, if you searched for old threads, there is a plethora of information about things to look out for when taking a look at an ISF...…. If you are going to check one out tomorrow, spend some time here in the forums, so you go prepared with plenty of knowledge.
Old 06-18-18, 08:03 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd much rather have the 2011 because of all the upgrades that happened that year

When I was shopping for an F, I never considered 08-10. Bought mine 9 months ago with 93k miles. It now has 107k and goes up every day. Im not a person who worries about mileage much
The following users liked this post:
B0077144 (06-19-18)
Old 06-18-18, 09:30 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I just don’t think mileage affects this car like others. I opted for the higher mileage 11, rather than an 08 that was in town with half the mileage.

The design upgrades far outweigh any potential increase is repairs. Which there really are none for this vehicle.

125k checking in, oil changes and basic maintenance items only. FBO minus a tune, and rip on her daily with zero issues since day 1 of ownership.
Old 06-19-18, 12:55 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Mileage aside, which do you prefer based on the condition? Do you have a preference of black vs white, because anyone who details black cars knows it is an absolute losing battle at times trying to keep her pristine. But for me, I actually love the challenge. Obsidian looks amazing when detailed properly and the shine and luster is, without a doubt, breathtaking.

Then you have to consider the creature comforts. The 2008 will not have the updated headlights, Bluetooth music, limited slip differential, single gauge cluster, factory suspension tweaks, and I'm not sure if there's a leather vs alcantara debate since there are no interior shots. Depending on whether you want to modify or not, the stock LSD is plenty good for street driving and if you were to find yourself in some nice curvy roads.

Personally, the 2011 has some nice additions with the aftermarket front bumper, window visors, tint, and trunk and rear diffusers. But if the style isn't your taste, the 2008 appears to be a well kept car. I would only make an offer for the 2011 if you like what's already been done to it and don't plan on modifying it too much after purchasing. With the 2008, test drive it with the coilover set up it has currently and see how that feels. That was one of the first things I opted to change when I bought my IS F. The ride quality, which wasn't too stiff for me at the time, needed to have a less jarring driving experience, and coilovers did the job perfectly. With both at the same price point, the 2011 is better in the event you wanted to resell for whatever reason, has a nice aesthetic modification flow all around, and is factory upgraded for a drive right out of the lot. The 2008 might be better if you know you're planning to keep it for awhile and maybe want to modify it down the line or keep it as is and enjoy the miles since it's still fairly low miles on the clock as is. Give both a drive and see where you feel with each one.

Best of luck, my friend!
Old 06-19-18, 06:11 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LSD in the 2011 is a really good upgrade over the 2008 along with the other upgrades Brian mentioned. That would be my choice.
Old 06-19-18, 07:31 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

The 2011 has some garbage mickey mouse bumper on it and missing the high quality OEM wheels.....was it in an accident?
Old 06-19-18, 07:47 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

^bumper yea but wheels look oem for 2011. Maybe painted darker?
Old 06-19-18, 07:59 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FinLIFE
^bumper yea but wheels look oem for 2011. Maybe painted darker?
Ah yes, you are correct. They did not appear that way on my monitor.

Those are the 11 oem wheels, just painted a different color.
Old 06-19-18, 04:57 PM
B0077144
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2011 is the best option!! Good luck with your buying process!!
Old 06-19-18, 07:35 PM
BlackISFNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is that Aimgain bumper?
Old 06-19-18, 08:23 PM
VangelicX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately the 2011 is no longer available. So right now the focus is the 2008, which is what I was going for anyway. I checked out the vehicle the other day, I'd say exterior is 7.5/10 interior 9/10. Rims are curbed but that's easily fixed with repairing or replacing with aftermarket. Other than that everything is up to date and well maintaned, also all recalls have been done.
Old 06-20-18, 04:56 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

LSD alone is worth paying extra for a newer one. Ask the legions of ISF owners who can’t do donuts. I didn’t even consider older than 11 for the suspension and lSD. My 13 is lower on low profiles and still rides smooth.

Quick Reply: New to the club!