IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2009 isf. best replacement bulbs (long lasting) for headlights and high beams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 11:08 AM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2009 isf. best replacement bulbs (long lasting) for headlights and high beams?

My high beams/drl dont work. I think its the bulb. Before i change to regular bulb, does anyone have suggestions with actual link to something thats a upgrade that will look good and last a while?

Also i hear the high beams are a paint to change? Is that true? do i need to remove things to get to the bulbs? Couldnt find a diy.

Im open to LED or any kind of upgrade that will look great and last a while!

thanks!!
Old 06-11-18, 01:23 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Best of luck to you on this. What should have been a simple job, Lexus in all it's wisdom made it extremely difficult to do. Before I researched these headlights, I went ahead and purchased HIDS, I have since picked up LED bulbs and replacement halogen bulbs. Who knows if and when I will ever get to this. All my bulbs are fine though, but swapping these out for some brighter LED would be nice
Old 06-11-18, 06:27 PM
ISpurFect
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The high beams are pretty hard to replace because there is not a lot of room to remove and reinstall the covers on the back of the headlights. I had to remove the entire airbox on the passenger side and the windshield wiper fluid tube on the other. Still with these removed, it was a tight fit to get the covers back on. Be sure to get the covers on completely or moisture will get in the headlights. On MY08-10 the high beam is the DRL. These work at half the power when just used as DRL, because of this an HID kit would not work unless you disabled the DRL function. Even if you do disable the DRL, HID would not be recommended for the high beam as it has a warm up period and is not an instant on. Led is another way to go however you run into problems with LED as well. They make LED bulbs which are a simple plug and play but these are more for looks and you will not get your high beam function so you are better off getting an LED kit which is a bulb and a driver. The problem you run into with this option is that since the high beam runs at half power as a DRL you will get a flicker coming from your LED bulbs. To fix this they do make anti flicker kits which plug into the driver. You just need to be sure you have enough room in the headlight housing for the LED bulb which should have some cooling element on the back of it, the driver, and the anti flicker resistor. I know this only works with certain LED kits as well, others even when you have your lights on DRL they will be at full brightness as though you have your high beams on. I have seen some people on here with LED's in the DRL, I am not sure what kits they used, but they did mention them flickering and stated that this did not bother them.

I put some Philips Halogens in my DRL's/High beam. They were supposed to look white (about a 6k look) but are still yellow when used as a DRL. They were around $25. A decent LED kit with anti flickers will run you around $150 plus or minus. I decided to live with halogens for now bc the yellow look does not bother me too much.

I would check your high beam/DRL fuse first before going further and changing both lights.
The following users liked this post:
FSUpra (06-29-19)
Old 06-11-18, 07:09 PM
Raven97990
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not run a LED for high beam, as pretty much all antiflicker kit is going to run your high beam all of the time, which will also overheat the bulb as there is no airflow in the housing. You have the option to disable DRL with a techstream or other quality scanner if you must have LED.
Old 06-11-18, 07:19 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the morimoto low beam bulbs and liked them. No issues and looked good
Old 06-13-18, 06:14 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I run the 6k D4S Phillips in the low beams. Nice bright white with hint of blue tint, better over oem. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4...ect_restrict=1
Old 06-13-18, 06:21 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm running this LED unit in my IS250 High Beam: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not certain if the IS F setup differs, but this has been great for both visibility and appearance. Plus, no observable flicker in DRL mode. The only catch is the dust cover is a pain to reinstall because of the heat sinks.
Old 06-13-18, 10:06 PM
B0077144
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Morimoto for high beam, you can't go wrong