IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Let’s talk about parking

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 05:17 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts
Default Let’s talk about parking

so I have become super OCD in the last few years about scratches and door dings. I don’t drive my F much right now, but I will soon. I drive my 350 everywhere. It was almost Mint a year ago when I bought it, and now it has multiple scratches and blemishes from other people in parking lots. Oddly, I park as far away from everyone as possible. That doesn’t seem to be working. How do you guys keep your cars scratch, ding and nick free?

Its sad that nobody respects anything anymore. If I scratched a car, I would leave my info and pay for it. I even see people door ding other cars all the time. I have even left people notes over that as well.
Old 06-07-18, 05:26 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I gave up and just said I am going to drive it no matter what and park where ever I can. I also try to park away from people but always come back to find some one parked right next to me. On the one hand I hate any damage, but on the other I want to drive the wheels off of my RCF. I will choose damage over not driving at this point in my life.

I have choosen to live an experiential life where doing out weighs protecting.

I personally hate the idiots who dent cars in parking lots and would kick them if I could. Yet they seem to be multiplying...lol!
The following 5 users liked this post by CAHWY128:
BS ISF (06-08-18), Fa-suto (06-17-18), Jwconeil (06-07-18), lobuxracer (06-07-18), vertex16 (06-08-18)
Old 06-07-18, 06:35 PM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I never stop to park except for the garage. Seriously, dings and scratches are part of owning a car. Enjoy the F man
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (06-14-18)
Old 06-07-18, 07:29 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I try to find parking near a curb where I hug it as close as I can to leave as much space as possible from a neighboring car (of course avoid scratching your rims). I also work where there are cart bins (or whatever they are called). I park as close as I can on the passenger side to it to again leave as much room as possible from a neighboring car on the driver's side (of course let your passenger out before u do this). If the bin post is close to my car on the passenger side, I push it towards the other spot on the other side of the bin.

If u park in a lot where there are those bins and park in the middle of no where, hoping no one will park next to u, they will park next to u and leave the cart out there since there is no bin close by. I have a 2008 and have been doing this and not a door ding yet (Knock on wood)... But stuff happens but I have found this minimizes any door dings at least...
Old 06-07-18, 07:33 PM
rschlem1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know what you mean. had that happen in employee parking lot at work. now being 75 young, and have a disabled tag, i can avoid the dings. but would trade
the tag for better legs
Old 06-07-18, 07:37 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

It is funny, people do seem to like to park out by you just because your out there alone. Weird mentality. My 350 has some scratches, but it’s the less favored car now. I may just bury the F everywhere I go so that it won’t get dinged.

I agree on driving versus protecting in many cases. There are a couple places I won’t take it, like a popular mall that is always packed. I also won’t drive in salt, but if you live in Indiana you already know why.
Old 06-07-18, 07:47 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Parking far from other cars is about the only thing I can do. The F is my daily driver and the only car I own, so its showing a little more wear and tear now compared to when I bought it. But thats part of the game. I made the purchase to enjoy it every day and thats exactly what Im doing
Old 06-07-18, 07:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I never pay attention to it. I park my car and split the space evenly, but I'll park next to the shopping cart return in a second without thinking. Knock on wood, I have no door dings at all, even after 10 years of ownership. I must live a charmed life. BUT, I have paint chips on the front end like no tomorrow because I don't ever drive slowly. This really says it all for me:

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I gave up and just said I am going to drive it no matter what and park where ever I can. I also try to park away from people but always come back to find some one parked right next to me. On the one hand I hate any damage, but on the other I want to drive the wheels off of my RCF. I will choose damage over not driving at this point in my life.

I have chosen to live an experiential life where doing out weighs protecting.

I personally hate the idiots who dent cars in parking lots and would kick them if I could. Yet they seem to be multiplying...lol!
Old 06-08-18, 03:48 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I protect my F like hired security, just to come home and ding it with my other car....... sonofa#*&%@.
Old 06-08-18, 04:06 AM
Raven97990
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll make a point, sometimes when you see a less than stellar car parked next to yours when you're parked way out, it may be someone like me. When I see someone out a ways, I'll sometimes take the spot next to them. I know I won't slam their car, or put dings/scratches so I'm giving a extra buffer to help protect the car.
Old 06-08-18, 06:44 AM
b761125
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than parking my car away from everyone, I usually just be strategic in whom I am parking next to.

Cars that I don't park beside from:
- SUV, minivans:
Driver does not have good visibility for what is around their car. Most people whom purchase these cars either have a big family (lots of doors needs to be open) and/ or need the space because they buy lots of stuff.

- Cars that is parked at an angle, car that is parked not in the center of the two parking lines:
Driver is does not care how they park may affect others. What are the chances that he/ she is going to care if his/her door open too wide.

- Cars that have lots of scratches and dings:
They don't care about their own car. Don't bet on them caring for mine.

Last and most important point.
I personally like to park next to nicer/ performance car, because I know they/ we care.

I drove a 2016 WRX, currently driving an 2017 C43 and planned to purchase an ISF in the summer.
Jwconeil (06-09-18)
Old 06-08-18, 07:29 AM
vertex16
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand the struggle. Right after I bought my Acura RL in 2012, I reverse parked it at work and came back to a neat door ding on my fender. Sad part is, this was back when I worked for a company of less than 50 people. I knew exactly who parked around me, and I knew who had done it. Somehow, it didn't chip the paint. I'll attribute it to the aluminum fender. Luckily, they were able to PDR it out. I haven't been able to find any new door dings since, but it's also worth nothing I'm in the midwest where parking spots are wide and I make an effort to avoid people

Moral of the story: people suck, drive your car and enjoy it!
Old 06-08-18, 08:26 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I daily drive my F.....I park away from people, try to get the end spots and jam it right up against the curb.

This is with any car that I drive.

People as a general rule are total morons
Old 06-08-18, 09:15 AM
5LITERV8YO
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yes. One of my biggest pet peeves. The way I avoid dings/dents is by driving my other car. If I'm going somewhere that I know the parking situation is bad, I won't drive my F. It's frustrating when you do your best to take care of your car only to have someone who is careless put a ding in your door. Having a nice car is a double edged sword. It brings you joy driving it, however, you never stop worrying about it when you park it in a public place and walk away.

Last edited by 5LITERV8YO; 06-08-18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 11:36 AM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little unconventional thinking can help. Some steps I've taken:
  1. Park at a neighboring dead or closed business. Sometimes a simple parkway separates a clogged lot with an open one.
  2. Find an area (like around back) where employees park. It's sometimes just 20 seconds of additional walking.
  3. In parking garages, go up a few levels, then start back down where I am more likely to find sweet, out of the way spots. This also helps with a faster exit.
  4. I don't pig park, but if I feel there is a vulnerable side where someone may come along side. Turn the wheel hard over in hopes the blunt profile of that 19s influences their approach and not get too close.
Jwconeil (06-09-18)

Quick Reply: Let’s talk about parking