IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How often do you resurface your brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 09:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Caliper sticking? Impossible. These calipers are fixed solid to the knuckle. They don't float at all. The pistons do all the location adjustment and as long as the disc is centered in the caliper cold, you're as good as you'll ever get.
Old 06-10-18, 12:57 AM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
If someone other than you tightened the wheel lugs, they are:
1. way too tight ("I'll just set the gun to MAX and keep it there until it stops")
2. tightened in clock order (1 2 3 4 5 6)
3. once

thanks for replies. I actually do all my job on my car. It's kinda easy to work on them, and since I have all the tools it's my "real size" LEGO.

So brakes got worse, I really hate to buy new rotors right now... so I'll try to turn them again, I usually go to big stores like orally or napa. I am not aware of the process they use for that procedure. But I always had a success in that, my car or wife's. Car would drive really smooth (until stupid me hold brake down after long hard stop) it's actually third time... I was babying brakes and I like how they bite so good and I figured I can let me self go little bit. Got burn again.
First time I raced corvette z06, he was asking for it...
secind time challenger not sure the model since I wasn't the one behind him lol, third it was amg c43....

on side note I do realize I need to replace my rotors soon... what brand is good? Anyone has any feedback about any particular brand... I know some ppl have aftermarket and they are really unhappy that they don't want to name the brand...
what about those who are really happy???

Last edited by xaker777; 06-10-18 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 04:04 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by xaker777

thanks for replies. I actually do all my job on my car. It's kinda easy to work on them, and since I have all the tools it's my "real size" LEGO.

So brakes got worse, I really hate to buy new calipers right now... so I'll try to turn them again, I usually go to big stores like orally or napa. I am not aware of the process they use for that procedure. But I always had a success in that, my car or wife's. Car would drive really smooth (until stupid me hold brake down after long hard stop) it's actually third time... I was babying brakes and I like how they bite so good and I figured I can let me self go little bit. Got burn again.
First time I raced corvette z06, he was asking for it...
secind time challenger not sure the model since I wasn't the one behind him lol, third it was amg c43....

on side note I do realize I need to replace my rotors soon... what brand is good? Anyone has any feedback about any particular brand... I know some ppl have aftermarket and they are really unhappy that they don't want to name the brand...
what about those who are really happy???
oem are the best unless you wanna invest on figs engineering or rr racing 2 piece rotors, auto zone has brembo brake pads and rotors
Old 06-14-18, 06:15 AM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 10k+ miles on my Raybestos/Textar combo with no issues.
Old 06-14-18, 10:32 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The issues sounds like a pad deposit/imprint. Did you bed the brakes in prior to getting aggressive? In any case coming to a complete stop with you foot on the brake pedal after getting the brakes very hot is never a good idea, especially with a lower temp pad or during the first major heat cycle (essentially a bed-in procedure). 99.9% sure thats the issue here.

-Matt M.
Old 06-14-18, 05:50 PM
orangeblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
+1. There is something else wrong. I am not convinced the Raybestos rotors are the same as OEM. I never had brake noises until I put on Raybestos rotors. I will be putting new rotors on soon and will know for sure if they were the root cause of my issues for sure, but right now I can't say I am convinced they are the same.
OEM are Brembo, so they’re not the same.
Old 06-15-18, 07:00 AM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
The issues sounds like a pad deposit/imprint. Did you bed the brakes in prior to getting aggressive? In any case coming to a complete stop with you foot on the brake pedal after getting the brakes very hot is never a good idea, especially with a lower temp pad or during the first major heat cycle (essentially a bed-in procedure). 99.9% sure thats the issue here.

-Matt M.
i did drove it for about 2-3k before driving aggressive. And I after I resurfaced rotors I did bedding process
15 times of 40 to 10 brakes. after that I just was driving city and here and there. When I stopped after that 120 I felt my brakes are sooooo soft it almost felt like a boat. I went to the store and once I was back they were fine I just drove normally home and shaking started couple days later
Old 06-15-18, 11:51 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xaker777

i did drove it for about 2-3k before driving aggressive. And I after I resurfaced rotors I did bedding process
15 times of 40 to 10 brakes. after that I just was driving city and here and there. When I stopped after that 120 I felt my brakes are sooooo soft it almost felt like a boat. I went to the store and once I was back they were fine I just drove normally home and shaking started couple days later
Can you see blotches of pad material or a pad imprint on the rotor face?

It is possible to thermally shock the pads and rotors as well - if you had been driving down the freeway with cold brakes and then you speed up to 120+ and dumped the brakes it's very likely you laid down some pad deposits.

-Matt M.
Old 06-16-18, 12:42 AM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Can you see blotches of pad material or a pad imprint on the rotor face?

It is possible to thermally shock the pads and rotors as well - if you had been driving down the freeway with cold brakes and then you speed up to 120+ and dumped the brakes it's very likely you laid down some pad deposits.

-Matt M.

hi Matt. Yes I did seen the pad inprint on the rotor. It wasn't bad just like a thin outline...
Old 06-16-18, 08:10 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblue

OEM are Brembo, so they’re not the same.
they are interchangeable per Brembo as are the OEM Lexus rotors from Brembo
https://brembo.mycarparts.net/produc...id=14126297092