IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

KCLV , obd fusion, 0-60 oh my

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 03:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

There's only one reason alcohol fuels are not so great. Lower specific heat than gasoline, so you need more volume to produce the same power which can mean reworking your fuel delivery system. Everything else about them from a performance perspective is a win. Significantly greater heat of vaporization, so you can run higher compression ratios (or more boost) without detonation concerns. Wider range of probable ignition, so your A/F can be a little farther off optimum, and the engine will still run (won't be best, but will at least get you in the ball park easier). There are downsides for sure, but not from a performance perspective.
Old 06-17-19, 05:34 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's only one reason alcohol fuels are not so great. Lower specific heat than gasoline, so you need more volume to produce the same power which can mean reworking your fuel delivery system. Everything else about them from a performance perspective is a win. Significantly greater heat of vaporization, so you can run higher compression ratios (or more boost) without detonation concerns. Wider range of probable ignition, so your A/F can be a little farther off optimum, and the engine will still run (won't be best, but will at least get you in the ball park easier). There are downsides for sure, but not from a performance perspective.
It's impressive how spot on you are about this. This is exactly correct.
Old 06-18-19, 12:54 PM
AyAyRon
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If one puts E30 blend in the car, how long can it sit for without being a problem? My car is about to go into the shop for some work.
Old 06-18-19, 06:47 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I've had ethanol blends of E30-E50 in my car going on 3 years now and it sits in the winter sometimes for 2-3 weeks without any starting issues.....
Old 06-24-19, 06:54 PM
TurboGti
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's compatible..I just tried my bluedriver adaptor with OBD fusion and it timed out.
I also went through the PID and didn't see anything relating to knock sensor.

Originally Posted by DiverseIS
I have the blue driver OBDII scanner. Does anyone use this and if so have you seen a kclv PID in the app?
Old 07-16-19, 09:46 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps an ODB2 module and phone app will help me discover what’s going on with the stumbling and hesitation I’m getting at low RPM. Don’t remember it ever being this bad in the summer.

Do you all still recommend this app for data logging and telemetrics?
Old 07-16-19, 10:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^I certainly do. Just sold my ISF. Xfered the OBD module to my new LC, downloaded the newer PIDs and voila

Lou
Old 07-17-19, 05:22 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I certainly do. Just sold my ISF. Xfered the OBD module to my new LC, downloaded the newer PIDs and voila

Lou
Good to know. Chasing a power loss/hesitation/stumble without a CEL on an otherwise problem-free F and hoping getting live logging, knock correction, etc will illuminate the problem.
Old 07-18-19, 08:54 AM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Good to know. Chasing a power loss/hesitation/stumble without a CEL on an otherwise problem-free F and hoping getting live logging, knock correction, etc will illuminate the problem.

Let us us know what you find!
Old 07-18-19, 09:39 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by minator
Let us us know what you find!
Certainly. I’m thinking it’s a dead cylinder, so I guess I’d like to ask what ODB and Lexus PIDs (beyond KCLV and KFV) would be recommended? I believe there’s a Lexus PID for misfire count, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

Old 07-18-19, 10:31 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Certainly. I’m thinking it’s a dead cylinder, so I guess I’d like to ask what ODB and Lexus PIDs (beyond KCLV and KFV) would be recommended? I believe there’s a Lexus PID for misfire count, but any other suggestions would be helpful.
There is a pid for misfire counts. I would check fuel trims on both banks as well.
Old 07-20-19, 06:50 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Guys I’m having problems connecting to my OBD.

just came back to my car, have the OBD unit connected to my car, switched on the engine and tried to find the WiFi connection to the OBD but nothing is showing up.

ive even bought a new OBD unit just in case this one was faulty.

the old one used to work in the past for sometime.

now when the engine is on I only get 1 red light on the OND unit.

does anyone have my idea how I can sort this connection issue out?

Do do you guys use WiFi or Bluetooth to connect to the OBD?
Old 07-20-19, 04:21 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by minator
There is a pid for misfire counts. I would check fuel trims on both banks as well.
The ECU isn’t seeing misfires barely at all. KCLV is quite low at ~16 cruising dropping to ~12 under WOT pulls and KFV is -3.

Ambient temps are in the mid-high 90s, so I’m not shocked but not sure what to /do/. Fiancée and her father confirmed car feels weird earlier in the week and today, but right now it doesn’t feel too bad. I had a strange thought it could be a transmission issue actually.
Old 07-21-19, 03:12 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

So can anyone help me out figure out my problem?

Firstly do you connect to the unit via WiFi or Bluetooth (I forgot it's been over a year)

Secondly any idea why the unit isn't showing up in WiFi or Bluetooth?

Thirdly When connected and the engine is on what lights are supposed to be switch on the unit? (I have stable red light and that's it)
Old 07-21-19, 03:38 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I think if you have android you can just do Bluetooth but for iPhone you have to do the Wi-Fi . I have an iPhone so I turn on the Wi-Fi and it should appear under CLK device. Once it connects to the Wi-Fi from the OBD dongle, it will show up more than the red light.

Quick Reply: KCLV , obd fusion, 0-60 oh my