Request: EL PPE headers dyno & review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 08:03 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Request: EL PPE headers dyno & review

Hello,

I've been researching on this for quite a bit lately since I'm at the pivotal point of getting headers. After reading through two old threads discussing the introduction of EL LT headers and the aftermath of installation (it was "retrofitted" from the ones made for RCF at the time), I would like some feedback from those who had them for a some time. Additionally, there was one person who provided dyno and run times with both EL and UEL. However, there was a significant time variance between the baseline run and the post-installation run.

If anyone can chime in on this, it would be greatly appreciated. If there is another thread with most recent development that I missed, please also kindly link me to that.

Thanks.

P.S., this thread is not primarily asking for sound clip as I have heard a bit of them provided by a member in the old threads. However, they are most welcome if you have any!
Old 05-04-18, 08:52 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, this could not have been more timely. I'm in your exact same boat. I'm 90% sure my stock manifolds are cracked, so I'll need something soon, and since I'm looking at going the SC route soon, headers would be a no-brainer.

The EL's are purported to have a more "stock" sound in the sense that they keep the "high-tech" Euro-burble qualities of the stock sound... which I really like. But at such a cost premium, I'm a bit torn...

Feedback mutually appreciated!
Old 05-04-18, 09:36 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been reading here and there stuff as well for quite sometime now and I think at the end of the day difference between EL and UEL is, EL are almost a $1000 more but they also sound 1000 times better and they also reduce drone significanlty, and that performance wise they are the same neither one gives you more power than the other that's worth mentioning.
Take my opinion with a grain of salt since I don't own neither and only basing my comments on what I've read here on the forums
Old 05-04-18, 10:07 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leander311
Wow, this could not have been more timely. I'm in your exact same boat. I'm 90% sure my stock manifolds are cracked, so I'll need something soon, and since I'm looking at going the SC route soon, headers would be a no-brainer.

The EL's are purported to have a more "stock" sound in the sense that they keep the "high-tech" Euro-burble qualities of the stock sound... which I really like. But at such a cost premium, I'm a bit torn...

Feedback mutually appreciated!
1200 more, but since you're going S/C route you may want to consider EL more due to the sustained benefits of reduced residual heat that would otherwise be damaging the ringlands. The posited theory is that the unequal length will have residual heat from exhaust being pushed back into the cylinders whereas EL reduces the extent of that damage (no elimination as I understood). For your long-term consideration, you may have to get EL.
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (05-04-18)
Old 05-04-18, 10:08 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by glerink
I've been reading here and there stuff as well for quite sometime now and I think at the end of the day difference between EL and UEL is, EL are almost a $1000 more but they also sound 1000 times better and they also reduce drone significanlty, and that performance wise they are the same neither one gives you more power than the other that's worth mentioning.
Take my opinion with a grain of salt since I don't own neither and only basing my comments on what I've read here on the forums
While EL may reduce the drone, it is much more effective with the correct placement of resonators. EL still drones, just at a MUCH lower volume.
Old 05-04-18, 10:35 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I went from sikky headers to EL ppe headers but I mainly did it for the sound and not for any power increase because I knew it'd be very small or none at all. The car also has the borla exhaust and the tuned intake so my experience is based on those mods as well.

The sound changes noticeably with the EL headers. It becomes less lumpy and more linear. The exhaust also quieted at certain RPMs. The drone it's still present but it's higher pitch. It might be placebo but it also seems as if the car revs faster. I also like to rev it higher between shifts, more so than before. At lower speeds at around 3k RPM, you can sort of hear the wind blowing trough the pipes. Like when you blow through a pipe or on a beer bottle.

I know a few people with UL ppe headers. I'll see if we can get together to compare them.
Old 05-04-18, 10:41 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I've been running UEL for about 2 years now with no problems. Its paired to a Joe Z exhaust and I think the sound is great. There is a little bit of drone around 2K RPM but it is really not that bad in my opinion. I really like the idea of EL headers, but being that they don't produce any more power, and the main difference is sound, I just can't justify selling mine and spending $1200 more to get EL.
Old 05-04-18, 11:03 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

My Post from another thread:

Originally Posted by flowrider
I've had both on my ISF. Measured power output on a dyno was about the same. But, the measurements were done over 3 years apart with different wheels. The big difference is sound. UL length headers have more of a V8 lumpy sound. The EL are a bit higher in pitch and smoother in sound. There is also more drone with the UL headers. I also have the PPE Dual Mode exhaust and with the UL headers I was unable to make and receive bluetooth phone calls with the valves in the open position. With the EL headers I now can. The valves on my exhaust now stay open 99% of the time. With the UL headers I left the valves open maybe 60% of the time.
Lou
​​​​​​​
Old 05-04-18, 11:20 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by flowrider
My Post from another thread:

Lou
That is the post I was quoting from regarding the measured power difference, thanks.
Old 05-04-18, 11:21 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I've been running UEL for about 2 years now with no problems. Its paired to a Joe Z exhaust and I think the sound is great. There is a little bit of drone around 2K RPM but it is really not that bad in my opinion. I really like the idea of EL headers, but being that they don't produce any more power, and the main difference is sound, I just can't justify selling mine and spending $1200 more to get EL.
I think this will be it if S/C isn't on the future list. Otherwise, the 1200 is basically a preference deterrent.
Old 05-04-18, 12:02 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

The EL sounds soo good. Can't replicate that sound. I had unequal on my ISF and I loved every bit of it.. However, if I could go EL I would.. (They didn't have it at the time when I had my modded ISF).

No reported issues with fitment on the Equal or unequal as of yet through my customers or PPE.

Contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-04-18, 01:29 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
1200 more, but since you're going S/C route you may want to consider EL more due to the sustained benefits of reduced residual heat that would otherwise be damaging the ringlands. The posited theory is that the unequal length will have residual heat from exhaust being pushed back into the cylinders whereas EL reduces the extent of that damage (no elimination as I understood). For your long-term consideration, you may have to get EL.

AFIK, all of the s/c tunes for the isf were created on vehicles utilizing unequal length headers. Is there any evidence to support the posited theory?
Old 05-04-18, 02:56 PM
5LITERV8YO
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the "offical exhaust system setup discussion/video/news thread" post on CL, there is a video of an ISF with Arqray exhaust and EL headers. That car sounds amazing. When I get headers, I will spend the extra money for the EL headers just for the sound. After all, for me, headers will be a one time purchase. I say F it.
Old 05-04-18, 02:59 PM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by tas02
AFIK, all of the s/c tunes for the isf were created on vehicles utilizing unequal length headers. Is there any evidence to support the posited theory?
Per the RR Racing site:

"An equal length header will expel gases at an equal rate per pulse, with gas from each cylinder leaving the header at the same time. With an unequal length header, gas from the two longer runners will remain in the header as it will take longer to reach the collector -- this results in lower cylinder temperature on an equal length header, which can help prevent ringland failure. Another benefit of equal length headers is the balance of backpressure at the exhaust ports, which will improve volumetric efficiency and overall top end performance."

The explanation makes sense given my VERY limited understanding of thermodynamics and general physics, but there is no empirical evidence (not that I know of) supporting this theory.