IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2010 ISF Chassis/Suspension Tighten-Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 02:35 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2010 ISF Chassis/Suspension Tighten-Up

I had considered getting a new car, but the ISF is going to stay now. There is nothing else like it on the road that does all that it does and I love that it seems to be holding its value.

Since I am keeping it, I want to tighten the car back up after 80,000 miles. I am looking to replace the front and rear shocks and any bushings that may need it. I have only upgraded the LCA bushings with RR Racing parts.

After reading the forum, it seems like Bilsteins are the most popular OEM "replacement for shocks. Without going to coilovers, are there any other brands other than Bilstein or Tokico for the ISF. I have seen many "IS" shock replacements but very few "ISF" shock replacements. The only retailer that I have been able to identify is THM motorsports. Can anyone suggest others that have shocks in stock at competitive or great rates?

Also, any recommendations for tightening up the chassis? I have no idea what bushings to replace to get that solid feeling back. Any creaks or pops at full lock in a parking lot, cold suspension rattles over chattering pavement are the type of things I'd like to address. I'm even willing to consider items such as motor mounts if it targets noise and vibration reduction. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-18, 02:51 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo58
I had considered getting a new car, but the ISF is going to stay now. There is nothing else like it on the road that does all that it does and I love that it seems to be holding its value.

Since I am keeping it, I want to tighten the car back up after 80,000 miles. I am looking to replace the front and rear shocks and any bushings that may need it. I have only upgraded the LCA bushings with RR Racing parts.

After reading the forum, it seems like Bilsteins are the most popular OEM "replacement for shocks. Without going to coilovers, are there any other brands other than Bilstein or Tokico for the ISF. I have seen many "IS" shock replacements but very few "ISF" shock replacements. The only retailer that I have been able to identify is THM motorsports. Can anyone suggest others that have shocks in stock at competitive or great rates?

Also, any recommendations for tightening up the chassis? I have no idea what bushings to replace to get that solid feeling back. Any creaks or pops at full lock in a parking lot, cold suspension rattles over chattering pavement are the type of things I'd like to address. I'm even willing to consider items such as motor mounts if it targets noise and vibration reduction. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I'm in the same boat
Old 05-02-18, 03:11 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently upgraded to Bilstein B6 shocks, and the difference in comfort is substantial, especially when it comes to shock absorption (Dips, crests, potholes, etc).

I called probably 5 companies for B6 stock, and it was on nationwide backorder for 6-8 weeks (as of April). Your best bet is to either piece meal it on eBay (Will cost you more), or wait for stock. I ordered from AJUSA (cheapest out of all vendors that I found online), but ended up canceling after finding a lightly used, few thousand mile, set here on Clublexus. There is no confirmed date from Bilstein for when they will release the next batch of shock fabrications; 6-8 weeks sounded like a random number from my conversations with the many companies.

Good luck on the search, it is worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Helo58 (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 03:23 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jw669
I recently upgraded to Bilstein B6 shocks, and the difference in comfort is substantial, especially when it comes to shock absorption (Dips, crests, potholes, etc).
Was there a sacrifice in handling?
Old 05-02-18, 04:08 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Begin by looking into FIGS' complete bushing kit - all the bushings our 2GIS chassis will need (some are cross compatible with regular ISx50).
Helo58 (05-02-18)
Old 05-02-18, 07:13 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

My concern with the FIGS is that they are a higher durometer. This typically means more control/less play for track use, but an increase in noise/vibration/harshness (NVH). Can anyone comment if this is the case?

If I chose to use stock or OEM replacements, are there any bushings on our cars that are more common to fail than others? I know they all age, but several members have complained about front end "rattles" in cold weather, often from the driver's side.
Old 05-02-18, 07:51 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Thanks for the heads-up on AJUSA. Those are great prices for sure. Aside from the shocks, do I need any additional hardware or is the existing hardware reusable (for instance: boots, etc.)? Are the correct shock part numbers: 155311, 155328, 155335?
Old 05-03-18, 07:01 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you looked into Sachs as replacements? They make the OEM 2012+ shocks. I have '11 and was thinking when the time comes I would switch into those. I'd assume '14 year would be most compliant and comfortable.
Old 05-03-18, 07:30 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah I had to get mine from 2 different companies, since they where backordered, I know carid had a lot of rear sets back in March and tirerack had one Front left, left. I would personally call each company to see if they actually have them in stock or not.
I called bilstein and like somebody said they don't have a specific timeframe of resupply and which vendor would get them first either, so its kind of hard to tell when you will ever get a set.
All that said you're probably better off getting coils if you want it done. if you don't care waiting order a set and wait.

Last edited by glerink; 05-03-18 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 07:37 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by j3ff
Have you looked into Sachs as replacements? They make the OEM 2012+ shocks. I have '11 and was thinking when the time comes I would switch into those. I'd assume '14 year would be most compliant and comfortable.
I am willing to consider any brand, although I think the MY12+ have different mounts/hats in the rear. Ideally, I would just have an OEM replacement for all shocks and a replacement of worn/aged bushings with OEM parts as well. No upgrades, I would just like to bring it back to "new."
Old 05-03-18, 08:02 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am willing to consider any brand, although I think the MY12+ have different mounts/hats in the rear. Ideally, I would just have an OEM replacement for all shocks and a replacement of worn/aged bushings with OEM parts as well. No upgrades, I would just like to bring it back to "new."

a lot of people seem to be happy with BC coils with swift springs so that could also be an option
Old 05-03-18, 01:53 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cvt
Was there a sacrifice in handling?
No discernable difference in handling. Actually improved my confidence in cornering knowing that I will no longer catch air when flying over a pothole though.

My concern with the FIGS is that they are a higher durometer. This typically means more control/less play for track use, but an increase in noise/vibration/harshness (NVH). Can anyone comment if this is the case?
I've also Figs USRS, the added NVH is insignificant, but the USRS definitely tightens up the "feel" of the chassis. The steering feels more connected.

If I chose to use stock or OEM replacements, are there any bushings on our cars that are more common to fail than others? I know they all age, but several members have complained about front end "rattles" in cold weather, often from the driver's side.
Depends on your mileage and location IMO. My OEM's had about 30K miles on them and rubber looked as good as the new noise isolator rubbers. Ended up reusing the originals and returning the new ones. I'm also in sunny california, and the car has only seen three days of rain though.
Old 05-04-18, 09:57 AM
DreDilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently installed OEM 2012+ shocks and springs on my 08 ISF with 60K miles, noticeable improvement in ride comfort and no reduction in ride control/handling, I'm very pleased with the balance of performance and comfort.
Old 09-21-18, 09:59 AM
JomsyandG
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helo58 - did you end up making a change?

jw669 - did you only change to Bilstein shocks? any other suspension changes?

I've also got a 2010 and the suspension is my only real complaint about the car - for the same reasons stated in this thread.
Old 09-21-18, 10:41 AM
jw669
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JomsyandG
Helo58 - did you end up making a change?

jw669 - did you only change to Bilstein shocks? any other suspension changes?

I've also got a 2010 and the suspension is my only real complaint about the car - for the same reasons stated in this thread.
There were incremental upgrades..
Baseline (when I purchased the car); 2008 OEM Shocks w/ Tein H-Tech Springs

2016ish: Added FIGS LCA; cornering and control felt tighter, while potholes and steel plates felt more jarring. On good pavement they were a noticeable improvement. You get use to it after a few months though.

2018: Upgraded shocks from OEM to Bilstein

Otherwise, no other suspension changes aside from tires. Currently running (discontinued) Falken FK452. Handles decently well, but not as good as or as quiet as the OEM Michelins. Good price though.
JomsyandG (09-23-18)

Quick Reply: 2010 ISF Chassis/Suspension Tighten-Up